PDA

View Full Version : viscosity cups

John Saxton
23rd June 2000, 02:05 PM
Can anybody out there help me in regards to viscosity cups in relation to spray finishing?
Are there different cups for different finishes and if so are they available in a range here on oz and where can they be accessed?
Are they required for assessing a lacquer finish to be sprayed?Yes you guessed it I'm also new to the topic of spray finishing.

------------------
Johnno

Shane Watson
23rd June 2000, 02:41 PM
John.

I don't consider that they are needed especially if you follow the directions that should be on the side of the cans. Most lacquers etc say to thin the mix by approx 10-15% with thinners, if required. Manufactures mixing sticks can be obtained from where you purchase the lacquer. Actually the only time I use a thinner is when I need to slow the drying rate down of the lacquer so I use a retarder thinner.
If you want a viscosity cup try your local automotive refinishing supply shop. They should stock them and be able to give a run down on them as well.
You'll soon learn if the mix is to thick or thin. Just a matter of trying. Depends how you spray as well. Faster sprayers can spray with a thinner mix than slower sprayers.

HTH

Shane.

ubeaut
23rd June 2000, 04:11 PM
G'day John

The viscosity cup is a way of measuring the flow rate of a finish that is to be sprayed. As Shane says you really don't need one if you follow the directions. UNLESS you are using an airless spray gun, like a wagner or similar and possibly with a low pressure system.

Even with these you will soon become familiar with the right mix but it would probably be a good idea to get one until you are more confident at getting the mix right.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

John Saxton
26th June 2000, 05:37 PM
Thank-you gentlemen for your comments.
I will take your comments on board and consider your viewpoints from an amateurs perspective in regard to the article.

------------------
Johnno