PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while!

cypher
14th April 2007, 08:38 AM
I have not posted on this forum for a while. I have been in process of setting up my new shop. I though i would post a few of my latest projects.

My Ribbon:
This was my first attempt at creating a ribbon. Overall, I am happy about the results. Since this was my first attempt, I choose to keep the pattern simple (no lamination) and I used inexpensive wood. I did not spend a tremendous amount of time fine sanding this piece as I was only constructing it for the learning experience. Throughout the process I did learn quite a few tips on how to make the next one better.

Made of Poplar and Walnut. Measures approximately 10" tall X 8" Diameter. Finished with three coats of poly.

My Vase:

Made of (left to right) Peruvian Walnut, Peruvian Cherry, Brazilian Vermelha, and African Padauk.
Measures: 7" tall X 7" diameter. Finished with 4 coats of Poly.
Contains 161 separate pieces.
This was my first commissioned piece. The process of finalizing colors and shape with the client took approximately four hours.
The overall time involved in this piece is approximately 40 hours.

dai sensei
14th April 2007, 08:42 AM
Oresome :2tsup: Love the vase colours, I'm rather partial to Padauk, wish I could get some more.

Can you describe how the ribbon is made? Is it turned thin then let to dry, or is it steamed into the shape?

cypher
14th April 2007, 08:49 AM
Can you describe how the ribbon is made? Is it turned thin then let to dry, or is it steamed into the shape?

It is done by making two seperate bottomless bowls EXACTALLY the same with a 45 degree slope. then the two bowls are cut in half and reglued into this shape.

The detailed technique is avaliable in Malcolm Tibbetts book "art of segmented wood turning" (http://www.tahoeturner.com/book.html)

ss_11000
14th April 2007, 11:43 AM
great work mate:2tsup: briliant colours in that vase, the ribbon looks very interesting:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 11:49 AM
It's so obvious now that you've explained how the ribbon was made... :rolleyes: but I have enough difficulties making two identical toothpicks let alone matching bowls.

Still, one is tempted to try ones' hand...

tashammer
14th April 2007, 02:05 PM
no, Skewy you already know what happens when you use your hand, try a piece of timber this time, there's a good lad.

Ah me, what the youngsters of today get up to.