PDA

View Full Version : small box pricing

lubbing5cherubs
14th April 2007, 11:34 AM
Gidday mates tommorrow I have a street stall and I am wondering what price do you have for them. they are only like 2" box. i don't use kits so i can't work it out like pens. the wood is local so it was free. what is a fare price?
Thanks for your time
Toni

Gil Jones
14th April 2007, 11:58 AM
Hard to figure, Toni, a lot depends on the folks in area where you are selling, and how they determine value. You could make a test guess, and price a few HI, LOW and in the middle. Then see how they sell. If they sell fast, your price could be OK, or too low, and vise versa.
The next bit is figured in US dollars and inches, so you may want to adjust multipliers to give you Aussie dollar equivalents and see if it works in metrics
Width(") X Height(") X 4= $ (+ any premium for special wood or conditions).
OR

Diameter (“) X $10 (+ any premium for special wood or conditions).

A 7" open bowl made from unremarkable maple would be $70. The same 7" bowl of maple burl might be $100 or more.

If it were a piece of historically significant wood, say from a barn owned by Geo. Washington, it might be $500 to the right buyer.
Finish will play a factor in any piece.
Segmented work really raises the price.
Once your name becomes a factor, pricing becomes more arbitrary.

tashammer
14th April 2007, 02:03 PM
how much for his teeth?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 02:27 PM
Are they plain boxes, intricate finialled boxes or somewhere inbetween?

For a plain 2"x2"(ish) box I'd ask between $10 and $20, depending on how pretty the wood is, how good a finish and, in general, how good I think it is. For one of my fancier finialled boxes (35910), I'd ask $20 plus, again depending on finish, etc.

The ones in that attachment I'd ask $20- for 'cos they aren't finished particularly well. :- I'm always being told I underprice myself, but when I make a good piece then I'll happily attach a good price tag. :shrug:

lubbing5cherubs
14th April 2007, 02:42 PM
very plan Skew. no handles even with a shellawax finish
Toni

manoftalent
14th April 2007, 04:16 PM
even though the wood was "free" factor in the cost if you had to go out and buy it ...then factor in a reasonable amount for labour per unit and sundry materials such as shellawax etc ....

example / materials $24.00. for 6 units
labour per hr $30
time taken to make 6 units 2hrs ..
total $84.00 divided by 6 = $14 per unit

suggested selling price $17.50 and let em bargain you down to $15 a piece :roll:

WillyInBris
14th April 2007, 06:13 PM
I agree most of what has been said.

Cost of materials, even if its free you need to give it a cost that will allow you to buy more materials in the future.

Labour approx $20-$30 an hour this is your money for your pocket.

Now that you have worked out your costs add 25%-50% margin for profit for the business this will depend on what type of market.
This would be used for buying new tools and upkeep of existing equipment petrol etc etc.

Just remember you can cut into your margin but don't cut into your costs.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 06:35 PM
Oh... I meant to add: Good luck tomorrow, Toni. :thyel:

WillyInBris
14th April 2007, 06:57 PM
Sorry should have added the same as Skew good luck and have fun on your adventure.:2tsup:

chrisb691
14th April 2007, 07:21 PM
All the best for tomorrow Toni. Let us know how get on. :2tsup:

BernieP
14th April 2007, 07:25 PM
G'Day Toni

Good luck tomorrow, sure it will be a sucess.

Cheers
Bernie

rsser
14th April 2007, 07:36 PM
One rule of thumb for plain bowls and platters is cost of materials x 5.

Boxes have more work in them by an order of magnitude of course so add your own multiplier.

Yes, you can charge what you think the market can bear. Or you can think of what you're prepared to be paid to surrender one of your 'babies'.

A lot of 'hobby' turners charge way under fair price, IMHO, and that undercuts the market and does everyone down.

Figuring the price is hard when you start out but it gets easier over time.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2007, 08:24 PM
A lot of 'hobby' turners charge way under fair price, IMHO, and that undercuts the market and does everyone down.

I sometimes wonder about that, Ern. If a hobby turner is making Gallery class pieces, then they've usually been in the game long enough to establish a name (even if only amongst a small clique) and do charge hefty fees.

But many turners are still learning what not to do and what they're selling isn't the same quality as a similar item made by a "seasoned" turner. I won't pay top dollar for a high-school student's work unless the quality is there and I can't see a hobbyist's work as being any different. "Second-rate goods" should be sold cheaper.

(Not trying to offend anyone here... just being realistic. And maybe trying to justify my own "underpricing." :wink: Actually, I think I'm somewhere in between. Most of my pieces are pretty naff, but every now'n'again I surprise myself and turn out something that I feel I can not only be proud of, but let's me buy the next item on my wish-list without the least feeling of guilt... :D)

Once someone has reached a level where their quality is on a par with the commercial turners, then I think you have a valid point... but until then I really can't see it applying. :shrug: Unless you think that the commercial turners have a right to be upset 'cos they can't sell their sloppier items for top dollar? :innocent:

lubbing5cherubs
14th April 2007, 09:43 PM
thanks guys for the advice and well wishers
i let you know how i go tommorrow
Toni

rsser
14th April 2007, 10:17 PM
No argument Skew, but we're speaking as insiders. We are likely to recognise common technical faults and also have some aesthetic standards we can judge from.

But a lot of buyers don't have either, have seen bowls on Ebay for twenty bucks and raise their eye brow when we tell them that ours is three times that for the 'same' kind of piece.

I know I'm pissing into the wind here, as long at least as the buying public in Australia needs educating. And I don't know who'll do that except the suppliers.

Little Festo
14th April 2007, 10:56 PM
I was at a wood show last year and got to talking to a "famous" wood turner - won't mention any names. On a nearby table were some fair sized turning blanks selling for $20.00. On a table nearby were some bowls, larger than than the $20.00 blanks selling for $15.00 - same timber too. I asked this turner what he thought about that, he smiled/laughed and replied "Peter, they have ruined a perfectly good blank", not very kind but........ Anybody/everybody should be allowed to sell their turnings, it's just the way it is re price etc.

Peter

rsser
15th April 2007, 12:14 AM
As I said, it's in the wind, and my last few drops are:

... yes, it is the way it is, and it undermines the growth of any market for quality. It results in good turners not being able to make a living out of turning because amateurs don't cost their work to reflect the making of it.

(.... I don't try to make money turning btw and am happy to stay amateur, but folk have asked to buy my work on occasions and so I had a pro value them and from that I got a sense of how to pitch my prices.

What I've found, and this applies as well to my day job as a consultant, is that generally people take you at your own valuation, and those who haggle aren't worth having as clients. .... And, if you set your prices low, that's what you're stuck with for years because to lift them you have to make a case for charging more for what people got for less beforehand, which is harder than getting a fair cop to begin with.)

hughie
15th April 2007, 08:43 AM
No argument Skew, but we're speaking as insiders. We are likely to recognise common technical faults and also have some aesthetic standards we can judge from.

But a lot of buyers don't have either, have seen bowls on Ebay for twenty bucks and raise their eye brow when we tell them that ours is three times that for the 'same' kind of piece.

I know I'm pissing into the wind here, as long at least as the buying public in Australia needs educating. And I don't know who'll do that except the suppliers.
[/QUOTE]

My experience is the same. I have many friends who have come around the house and Ooohh arrrrd over some pieces. When asked how much is it worth they have no idea. When asked how much they would pay, most are reluctant to say. So I proffer a price that is IMHO a bit low. Nearly every one thought it was too dear.
Reason: they cite the local gift shop mass produced chiwanese piece that is devoid of quality in timber, shape and finish.

Reason: lack of education into what is a good piece of turning is and what it is worth. Wood turning here in Oz does not have the appreciation that it gets say in the US of A. -see my post on Joashs poll

Richard Raffan often laments the price that amateurs ask as it seriously undermines his market.

I suspect its looked on as some thing ''that any body could do'' and therefore its common. ''Its some thing old men do in retirement'' and they give it away to all and sundry and therefore it ain't worth that much

cedar n silky
15th April 2007, 11:28 AM
I recently did the "tourist" thing in Tassie and in my travels, quite naturally (not SWMBO!) I was drawn to shops and galleries that had turned items in them.
Understandably, I suppose, the little rural galleries and craft shops, don't get the turnover of the big city galleries so may need to charge more, but to my surprise the best quality and realistic prices were at Salamanca in Hobart.
I was very impressed with the beautiful work in furniture and woodturning there in Hobart. Go there first rather than at the end of your trip, because
at least you get an idea of the standard and pricing.

I guess Toni, it might pay to go and look at galleries and craft shops locally and compare your work and what you thought was a fair price for your items and go from there. Not much point in being too expensive if all the timber items at the market or galleries are a lot cheaper, but by the same token, don't give them away (sell yourself short) if your intention is to sell. If there isn't a realistic market locally, than maybe find an outlet further afeild. Hope it went well today.
PS I came back from Tassie with.... You guesed it!!:o Bowl blanks and bits of wood!:B SWMBO was not impressed!:U

Jenny Brandis
15th April 2007, 12:58 PM
I consider myself to be at the apprentice level - an early apprentice at that. Therefore going back to the days when the 'Master' pieces were the top dollar ones, the 'Journeyman' came in second and the 'prentices' dragged in much cheaper as they are still learning their craft.

I could not justify selling my turning efforts for much but by the same token I do believe that if you undervalue your work and 'apologise' for it - the looker will also undervalue it.

That is why I suggest you set a price on it that you are happy to take, use a 'positive' choice of words and voice to describe the work and be HONEST with yourself and the client - if the work is not the best you can do, it does not go to the markets. :)

AlexS
15th April 2007, 01:39 PM
Have to agree with Rsser and Hughie re not underpricing your work. You do no one any favours by underpricing.
I wouldn't try to sell my turning because it's not of that standard, but for furniture and boxes, I base my prices on materials cost, and a fair labour rate per hour. Because I reckon my designs and quality are better than the Chindonesian stuff, I charge more and hope that the quality will be recognised. I'm fortunate in that I don't have to rely on my woodwork for a living, but I don't want to put out of the game someone who does.

Frank&Earnest
15th April 2007, 01:49 PM
Did anybody call for pissing in the wind? Where do I sign up? :D

IMHO Rsser and Hughie hit the nail in the head (maybe same background bias... I have been a management consultant and actually taught marketing last century...:- ).

As regards the question at hand, Toni, many have already said it: be confident and don't undersell yourself. If this time your prices are really pitched a bit too high, don't discount now but put them a little lower next time.

For the sake of the discussion: obviously price depends on many factors (the one liner about Washington's teeth made me laugh hysterically:U ) but let's try to set some rough categories:
1-art piece
2-functional
3-trinket

I think we all agree that very few turned pieces fall into category one, and in any case a market stall would be the wrong place to try selling them.

Category 2, which could include pens, suffers from the comparison with the equivalent mass produced items but has a larger appeal (see Skew's comments about how well his radiata pine winged bowl was received). Most people though don't care how much it cost to produce a bowl that is realistically priced at $150 if they do not love wood specifically and would be happier with an equally priced piece of china or metal.

Category 3, the small bowls and boxes etc. are bought for small gifts that mostly end up in a drawer: pieces of quality are swamped by the "amateur" produced ones and therefore the market is price driven. Basically, the turner must accept to be a mass producer and not get upset by the lack of appreciation.

Would love to see a more optimistic opinion, any takers:) ?

Cheers
Frank

lubbing5cherubs
15th April 2007, 03:22 PM
gidday thanks for the info I did not sell any boxes but i did sell the other things
toni

WillyInBris
15th April 2007, 03:48 PM
So Toni how did you go, was it a positive experience did you learn anything that you would like to share, will you be going back?

BernieP
15th April 2007, 04:05 PM
G'Day Toni

Are you sure you haven't sold a box, sometimes people procrastinate like me and come back for purchase next time.

Cheers
Bernie

lubbing5cherubs
15th April 2007, 05:28 PM
I did not to bad in total sales I made $100 that is after I deducted the stall fee and what we spent at the market:-

I had 3 people asking me if I be back next month because they did not bring any money this time.

Yes will be going back next month. The letter/serviette holders from Jim got a lot of comment. i was also told My pens were told that they were the best pens that some had seen. i got to meet some people that turned that i did not know. i also got to meet 3 people with lathes one still in the box though. one wants to get into it but never got around to it. One was here in winton but had to leave her lathe behind. so yep it was a very positive day, plus people now are very aware that i make pens and not just my father in law.:D
thanks Toni

WillyInBris
15th April 2007, 08:47 PM
Thats really good to hear Toni, I have done the same at markets and gone back a month later and brought something off a vendor that I had seen.

Once again good work and thanks for sharing.:2tsup:

tashammer
17th April 2007, 02:45 AM
Funny how other people doing well can make one feel proud aint it?

You make me feel proud Toni. Good on yer.

Wild Dingo
17th April 2007, 03:51 AM
Its always a) great to come away with some cash in your pocket and b) a positive feeling after its all said and done so well done Toni :2tsup: :2tsup:

ahem rant mode on :~

re the pricing thing... Im damned if I know how many times Ive said it but I'll say it again

Get over the woodwork woodbutcher hobby retirement thing will you... what you people do IS ART!! End of story... so if its art price it as such! Bloody hell by devaluing and undervaluing what you create your putting yourself and every other woodartisan down!

Now I dont give a purple rats bum if you just make pens or you make bowls boxes tables or whatever!! Its art in its purest form... think about it... okay some here can whizz out a pen in 15 - 20 minutes or less goodoh but whats it taken them to get to that point? whats it taken in hours in creativity in the actual making sure its going to and does look sweet as a nut but whats it taken to get there? more than just oh heres a bit of wood and bung it in the lathe whoopty bloody doo heres another pen beauty! :roll: A pen that you make is worth at a minimum $50 thats a basic hand made pen... no fancy nancy inserts or materials a plain turned timber pen... okay people are going to compare so okay compare... whats a Parker pen worth nowadays 70 80 100? whatever!!! Theyre mass produced people! cost probably less than five bob to whack out in some seady sweat shop but people pay it... why cause there nice pens to hold bottom line!! AND that mates is what the buyer wants at the end of the day a pen that is a fine feel to it when used and looks good... Yes vanity is thine name!!

Same with the boxes and such man I cant believe how some people can go to the trouble effort and precision in some of the boxes Ive seen made and ask such paultry sums for them... reasoning? ooh I just do it as a hobby sorry its not that good is it? and then the dopey buggars go to the effort to point out the faults with it or that they arent that good... as though they have some obligation to the buyer to apologize because they made the thing?... BULLSHYTE!!!... The damned buyer sees something unique something interesting yes even beautiful and wants it... so now you the creator the maker of that pen box or whatever and YOU ARE talkin them down? strewth... Fix a price and stick to it

To the looker who says "oh yeah its beautful and well made isnt it but its too expensive" say "well thats fine" let them buggar off... to the ones that say "I can get the same thing from XXXX down the road for less than that" say "well thank you for your custom today have a great day" LET THEM GO!!... YOU DONT NEED THEM!!!... the old addage of "If they can find it cheeper elsewhere is what theyre saying then let them to go elsewhere!" is so true... IF at the end of the day they seriously want a good peice finely made of solid timber thats made by hand and will last more than their own lifetimes they will be back... or they'll go to another woodartisan to get it because its ONLY woodartisans that can CREATE it!!... thing is they usually know it but think they can bring you down in price and you know the really stupid thing? They usually can... why? BECAUSE the woodartisan themselves DID NOT BELIEVE IN WHAT THEY HAVE CREATED!!! and the damned buyer knows it!

By the way.. they wont get it cheeper down the road... why? Because its UNIQUE!! there is ONLY ONE LIKE IT... THIS ONE... and YOU MADE IT!... so its a table yeah theres a thousand and one tables out there probably cheeper than yours SO WHAT!! they are not YOURS they are mass produced peices of crap if people want crap let them go enjoy crap... if they want good furniture or boxes or whatever and youve made it PRICE IT ACCORDINGLY!!

Strewth when was the last time you saw a painter price themselves low? NEVER when was the last time you saw a potter price themselves low NEVER when etc etc the answer is NEVER so dont bloody well do it!

Man be proud of what youve created and the best way to show that you KNOW this peice is the best damned peice there is is by being proud of it be confident in your work and the finished item and ignore consciously and completely ANY and all imperfections as they WONT see them only you will and price it accordingly... high... the other advantage of pricing high is that it does in fact allow you a bit of room to "come down" in price... to your actual price! :2tsup:

Price low accept low never get higher prices never get what the items worth its actual value you have purposely and effectively lowered for this peice and every piece you make from here on and flowed that low price on to others...

I know personally inside that Im no flamin expert Im a bloody long way from that point but I refuse to take less than what I consider is a fair price for anything I make and thats based not only on the formula given above... but also on the factor that there is NOTHING anywhere remotely like it!! Its a one of a kind hand crafted peice of art and I made it so accept the damned price or buggar off!

well okay not quite as bad as that but to heck with the ones who say they can get it cheeper somewhere else or start comparing buggar them!!

Personally I dont do woodwork I dont do woodbutchering I dont do hobby... start to bloody believe in yourselves and what you do for cryin out loud!

aarrghhh it seriously pisses me off when people who create stuff put themselves and what they do down... cause they then put me and everyone else down which is BULLBLOODYSHYTE!!! :~

ahem rant mode off :B

tashammer
17th April 2007, 04:19 AM
some would argue that art is one thing and crafts are another. Some would further argue that both arts and crafts are creative, even equally so, although crafts are more practically-oriented. As for me, i like a spoon to perform the functions of a spoon and a chair to perform the functions of a chair. The melding of arts and crafts often appears to be something more and more outrageous so that there is no way you could use the spoon as a spoon or the chair to sit upon - still, it's the esence of spoon and the essence of chair dahlink. Pigs bum it is.

How about pricing things at 10% over what you think they are worth so it helps you overcome self doubt and/or shyness?

daft mode=ON
If it sells at that price then next week, up the prices by 5% and keep going until the only folks who stop at your table wear furs and diamonds and send their chauffeurs to do the buying?

WillyInBris
17th April 2007, 06:02 PM
OK I will weigh in on the Debate.

Art is something that someone sees as art and will pay for it if they have an understanding of what art is.

For instance my wife works in theater yep with those prancy Doctors that think they are king sh*t anyway last Friday my wife took the following pen (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=43366) to work as she liked it and I wasnt over pleased with it.

One of the other nurses asked her about it and how much it was, the wife just picked a figure of $45 :?and said my husband makes them, the nurse commented that she wouldn't pay that much for a pen, anyway for some reason the whole theater including the Docs started talking about what was the highest amount they had paid for a pen and why.

The Doctors both had Waterman pens around the $300-$500 mark, at the end of the case they had had a look at my pen, later on the younger of the two brought it for $50 as long as he can have a pencil as well with the same wood and was willing to pay another $50 for that.:o

So what did I sell, No not a Pen it was a status symbol to the Doctor who brought it, I am guessing a piece of functional ART.

What does the nurse need, she needs a $1 bic pen and she can have that but I don't supply them, I supply Functional ART and I need to remember that people like this just dont understand :2tsup:.

I am not a charity after all.

Frank&Earnest
17th April 2007, 06:29 PM
OK I will weigh in on the Debate.

Art is something that someone sees as art and will pay for it if they have an understanding of what art is.

For instance my wife works in theater yep with those prancy Doctors that think they are king sh*t anyway last Friday my wife took the following pen (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=43366) to work as she liked it and I wasnt over pleased with it.

One of the other nurses asked her about it and how much it was, the wife just picked a figure of $45 :?and said my husband makes them, the nurse commented that she wouldn't pay that much for a pen, anyway for some reason the whole theater including the Docs started talking about what was the highest amount they had paid for a pen and why.

The Doctors both had Waterman pens around the $300-$500 mark, at the end of the case they had had a look at my pen, later on the younger of the two brought it for $50 as long as he can have a pencil as well with the same wood and was willing to pay another $50 for that.:o

So what did I sell, No not a Pen it was a status symbol to the Doctor who brought it, I am guessing a piece of functional ART.

What does the nurse need, she needs a $1 bic pen and she can have that but I don't supply them, I supply Functional ART and I need to remember that people like this just dont understand :2tsup:.

I am not a charity after all.
Very well said, couldn't agree more. A good case study for Marketing 101!:2tsup:
In antiquity there was no distinction between art and craft, unfortunately with progress comes sophistication with all the connected cr*p... We'll have to take the good with the bad, I suppose :D

ETA I just noticed an inconsistency though: all the above OK if you delete "... if they have an understanding of what art is." As you say yourself, any nincompoop can buy "art" as a status symbol.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th April 2007, 06:32 PM
In antiquity there was no distinction between art and craft, unfortunately with progress comes sophistication with all the connected cr*p... We'll have to take the good with the bad, I suppose :D

There's not really much distinction now, between art & craft... except that when an item lacks craftsmanship and won't pull in the dollars, people call it art instead to boost the price. :rolleyes:

Froggie40
17th April 2007, 06:37 PM
Hey Willy,
You are so right mate, when I go to Fairfield markets in Sydneys west I always get comments like omg who would pay $50 for a pen mind you some of mine I don't sell for under $80 they are the people as you say use a $1 bic I too don't sell them, but when I go to somewhere like Kirrabilly markets the atmosphere is completely different they are the upper class and know art when they see it and I have no problem getting good money for my pens. Once I was at Kirribilly markets and this bloke walked up to my stall and his shirt pocket had about 5 pens in it anyway he liked the look of one of my Gold Titanium/Black Titanium Sierras so he bought it and paid $80 he then said to me that he didn't want the refill in it I thought whatthe, he just wanted to walk around with it in his top pocket. He wanted a unique pen and he got one. I am not a charity either and I take a lot of pride in my work and get immense pleasure out of making them so they look like they are worth the money. I quite often tell the ones who want the cheapo pens that they will have to go to the newsagent and buy a Bic if they want a cheap pen.

Regards
Froggie
Addictive Pen Kits (http://www.addictivepenkits.com.au)

WillyInBris
17th April 2007, 07:14 PM
Hey Willy,
You are so right mate, when I go to Fairfield markets in Sydneys west I always get comments like omg who would pay $50 for a pen mind you some of mine I don't sell for under $80 they are the people as you say use a $1 bic I too don't sell them, but when I go to somewhere like Kirrabilly markets the atmosphere is completely different they are the upper class and know art when they see it and I have no problem getting good money for my pens. Once I was at Kirribilly markets and this bloke walked up to my stall and his shirt pocket had about 5 pens in it anyway he liked the look of one of my Gold Titanium/Black Titanium Sierras so he bought it and paid $80 he then said to me that he didn't want the refill in it I thought whatthe, he just wanted to walk around with it in his top pocket. He wanted a unique pen and he got one. I am not a charity either and I take a lot of pride in my work and get immense pleasure out of making them so they look like they are worth the money. I quite often tell the ones who want the cheapo pens that they will have to go to the newsagent and buy a Bic if they want a cheap pen.

Regards
Froggie
Addictive Pen Kits (http://www.addictivepenkits.com.au)

The Kirrabilly markets now thats a place to be, we have a couple of markets up in Brisbane of close to that caliber that I am looking at prob for Novenber December as well, It really does depend on the Markets and the type of people.

Shame your not comming to the Show Froggie would have liked to meet you.

rsser
17th April 2007, 09:01 PM
Interesting outcome WiB.

The art/craft debate is a distraction; what's important IMO is that each of us can do something unique that if well made will find a buyer. We need to identify where they're to be found.

tashammer
17th April 2007, 09:48 PM
i get a newsletter from a pen maker in London and a cheap pen from them is $1500. I will tell you clearly that many of the pens that i have seen on this site are much, much better (i was going to say all but didn't want to be accused of bias). :-)

Frank&Earnest
17th April 2007, 10:38 PM
Interesting outcome WiB.

The art/craft debate is a distraction; what's important IMO is that each of us can do something unique that if well made will find a buyer. We need to identify where they're to be found.

No argument here. The problem is at what price a buyer is found and whether that price is objectively correlated to the quality of the product.

lubbing5cherubs
17th April 2007, 10:48 PM
Well I must admit. I had not one person haggle my prices at all for the day so I was relieved. I think I would of ran..LOL
Toni

Frank&Earnest
17th April 2007, 10:49 PM
There's not really much distinction now, between art & craft... except that when an item lacks craftsmanship and won't pull in the dollars, people call it art instead to boost the price. :rolleyes:

Gee, I was supposed to be the cynic here! Going one up, eh?:D At least we can have faith that in the long term, nobody can fool all the people all the time (Barnum). On the other hand, somebody else (Galbraith, IIRC) said:
"in the long term, we are all dead":D ...

Frank&Earnest
17th April 2007, 11:01 PM
Well I must admit. I had not one person haggle my prices at all for the day so I was relieved. I think I would of ran..LOL
Toni
Most people do not really like to haggle, although the Australian cultural background is rapidly changing :rolleyes: ... How many looked, handled and went away without buying? If not many you could try raising the prices next time. Nice going!:)

rodent
18th April 2007, 02:22 AM
Tony ? what price did you put on your boxes and can we have some pics top view ,pictorial (side and top)view and bottom . just so we can see what we were talking about .By the way people that was a great round house of views thank you all .

Gil Jones
18th April 2007, 02:26 PM
Respect the artist • Respect the work • Respect the buyer

lubbing5cherubs
18th April 2007, 08:54 PM
Giday rodent, can't get any photos at the moment.. No camera. but there is one sort of photo inthe nova thread. I put $15 on them but I was more refering ot my pens. everyone looked but no one even bickered my price and I did expect that here. I was surprised
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th April 2007, 11:38 PM
No bickering? :oo:

You're not telling us porkies are you, Toni? :wink::D What sort of prices did you have on your pens? It sounds like you could bump them by $5 for the next time around...

Doc Ron
19th April 2007, 01:12 AM
This has been a really great thread, very interesting. I also have pondered this kind of thing. As someone said, "if it don't hold soup, call it art!" - an old discussion about the difference between art and craft. It seems to me that art is in things that fulfill the aim of the artist. If that aim is functional as well, then it is craft. But there is fundamentally little or no difference between the two. I recently completed a few small (less than 2"" or 5 cm dia) lids of black walnut for a potter friend. These are to be used for ceramic tea containers for a Korean tea ceremony, that he sells for $$$ - in the hundreds. Although the lids were very simple, and took little time to make, I charged a decent price for them. Point is, the pots are functional but beautiful and require great artistic effort to prepare,and he gets prices accordingly. We woodies should do the same!
:2tsup: