PDA

View Full Version : Record Lathe

1chrome
21st July 2003, 11:27 PM
I am looking at buying a second hand Record D M L 24 ,are they a good lathe for a beginner like me and what price should i pay for one in good order.As i said i am only a beginner and any advice would be helpfull.

1chrome
23rd July 2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the advice doorstop.There a little more to buying a lathe then i thought.Have you any advice on a good beginners lathe under $1000 or am i asking a bit much at that price

Wayne Davy
24th July 2003, 12:19 AM
1chrome,

Listen to stoppers as he really knows his stuff. However, you don't have to go to Perth. As you live in Brisbane, check out Carbatec (http://www.carbatec.com.au/) , Gregories Machinery or Hare & Forbes. They all have lathes in your range (well Gregories will be at the top end).

And do as stoppers says - find one or two you like and get back on the forum and ask for opinions (not from me - I'm a beginner when it comes to turning).

colh
24th July 2003, 10:07 AM
1chrome

some comments, based on my vast experience (since January this year:D )

I bought the Hare and Forbes WL18 for under $400. It's virtually the same as the Carba-tek MC900 except for the spindle and motor sizes. Timbecon, Total Tools and Jet all seem to have their own rebadged versions. Depends whether you want a blue one, a blue and cream one, a brown one or a white one - makes all the difference.

Specs: 900mm between centres, 300mm swing over the bed, 10 speed (500 to 2000 revs) swivel headstock, hollow tailstock, cast iron bed, on a stand, 750 watt motor, 1" x 10 TPI spindle, #2MT head and tailstock.

comments: 500 rpm is still a bit fast for bigger pieces that are out of balance, otherwise it seems to to the job well. also, it doesn't have an indexing head, but the chuck does, so a simple jig fixed that.

[Aside - can anyone suggest ways of halving the motor speed? it's a variable ratio belt drive so it doesn't look all that easy to change pulley sizes]

next comment: buy a GOOD scroll chuck - after all its the bit that you rely on most. Mine's a Vicmark 100. And good tools. And suggest to your SWMBO that woodturning lessons would be a great birthday/fathers day/christmas/anniversary pressie.

there is also a slightly bigger model - 1100 odd between centres, 350 mm swing, same build and drive, about $100 dearer from the same places.

the more experienced guys here will almost certainly have all moved on to something better, but given that the Nova starts at well over the $1000 mark, I am happy with mine to date.

warning: it comes partly assembled in a box that weighs over 80 kg - you need a chain block or a couple of mates to mount the bed assembly on the stand.

have fun

Colin

macca2
24th July 2003, 12:09 PM
Hi.......I like you am a beginner at wood turning, and went thru the same exercise about 12 months ago. I ended up buying the South Australian made Woodfast 280.

It cost about $700 is well made with all cast iron construction. It has 6 speeds from 560 to 3500 rpm and #2 M.T. on head and tail stock. M30 x 3.5 thread.

It does not have a swivel head but the head and tail stock will slide the full length of the bed.

It comes in two models 280S and 280L the difference being the length of the bed, 545 or 1045. Both have 300 swing.

I am very happy with mine.

Macca

barnsey
24th July 2003, 12:29 PM
1chrome

I bought the Hare & Forbes from their store in Macgregor.

Mine has worked like a charm - not sure I've been that good but I reckon for the price it's a goer and it'll let you go and buy some good tools with the money you save

My 2d

Jamie

1chrome
24th July 2003, 09:22 PM
Thanks every one. i now have a much better idea of what i looking for.Sorry doorstop but i am not driving to perth this weekend got to save my money to buy a lathe

G00se
29th July 2003, 12:56 PM
1chrome

Are you talking about the lathe on eBay? Am i right?

Well this is really late and the lathe that is on there has only an hour to sell (it's opening bid is $200).

I currently own a CL3 which is a little bigger than the DML24. It is a top product and apart from all the draw backs (measurements) you can by a tread converter for $15.

The DML24 is very limited here are the specs;
Fixed Head,
3 Speed,
24" x 9" Capacity

(designed for small jobs and bowls 9'')
Due to the head being fixed you can not turn the head to increase the size of the allowable swing over the bed (eg increase the bowl size).

check out www.recordpower.co.uk for all the info you need. Also the blue lathes (that is on sale @ eBay) are generation 1 or 2 and have more limitations than the green variety G3 (the ones you see on the website).

(colh colour does make a difference) ha ha.

Record has the DML24 RRP £159.99 a second hand one (+gen 2)regardless of the tools and accessories should be under $200 AU.

Go Go the strong Ozzie dollar!

Hope this helps and is not too late!
:eek:

1chrome
29th July 2003, 08:06 PM
Yes GOOse it was the one on e-bay.I did not make a bid as i am thinking of what to buy [Now i am in touble]

macca2
30th July 2003, 12:15 PM
Neil
When I bought my Woodfast 280 I did not find any other lathe of similar design. It certainly was different and appeared much more robust than the $400 lathes sold by Carbatec,Timbecom etc.

I paid $700 for mine, was I dudded?????????

Interesting you say Woodfast didn't bother to go to there own states wood show.

Cheers
Macca

colh
30th July 2003, 12:39 PM
Sorry Neil, but judging from the picture on The Turnery website, the Woodfast 280 is a different machine from my Chinese Hare and Forbes - sliding headstock v's swivelling, 6-speed to 3500 rpm v's 10 speed to 2000, more robust looking bed, but considerably lighter - 38 to 46 kg v's 82.

cheers

Colin

Timbo
1st August 2003, 10:44 PM
I have been watching this thread with interest as I am also interested in purchasing a reasonable quality lathe for less than $1000 so that I can try my hand at woodturning. The comments provided to date have been very helpful and I have been following up on some of them with interest. I contacted Record in the UK to find out who is their Australian distributor. I received a very quick response informing me that they don't currently have a distributor here but that I can buy direct from the UK!
I liked the description of the Woodfast 280 so searched for some more info about it and contacted Woodfast to confirm availability and price. Woodfast informed me that it is currently out of production because the foundry (overseas) that made the castings has shutdown. From the pictures I have seen I agree that this is definitely a different machine to the MC900 Taiwanese models that sell for $400.
I am now somewhat stumped as to what to purchase - it seems the only options are to purchase a cheap Taiwanese model which will probably disappoint and frustrate me (based on comments on this and other forums) or search for a secondhand decent model which seem to be very difficult to find. Any further suggestions?

Timbo

macca2
1st August 2003, 11:21 PM
It is my understanding that the Woodfast has its castings for head and tailstock and bed done in China but they are machined in Australia and the moving bits, mechanical and electrical are fitted in SA.

It is not Vicmark but then it is certainly sturdier and more robust than the $400 Taiwanese M900 jobs I have seen in all their various brand names and colours.

Macca

1chrome
1st August 2003, 11:53 PM
Timbo
I too had some interest in the Woodfast 280 but so far i have been unable to find one in Brisbane,and i also agree with your comment on the cheaper Taiwanese brands.
Can anyone tell me where i may find a Woodfast 280 in Brisbane,I would like to have a close look at one.I will be going out again Saturday to have another look

Timbo
2nd August 2003, 12:05 AM
1chrome

I have sked around in NSW and have been unable to track a 280 down. When I spoke to Woodfast they said they had one left and were unaware of any other stock in the country. I'll be interested to hear how you go.

Timbo

Sir Stinkalot
2nd August 2003, 09:30 PM
Timbo - I just found this in the Melbourne trading post. I know that you are in NSW but it may be worth a call and request a photo.

WOOD LATHE TECHNATOOL 8spd, 1200 between centres, 155mm swing, outboard turning, face plates, 1HP motor, $650 (0401) 068817, (03)59982745 Devon Meadows

barnsey
3rd August 2003, 03:53 PM
Timbo,

If you go to the trading post web site you can search the entire country if you want to or just your state.

Trading Post (http://www.tradingpost.com.au)

I've done it and good used wood lathes are like rocking horse !!!!

Good Luck

Jamie.

Timbo
3rd August 2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for your efforts guys. I have been monitoring the Trading Post for NSW but hadn't searched wider afield. I will keep looking in all states in future. There seem to be a lot more available in states other than NSW.
I will definitely ring about the Technatool in Victoria. Anything in particular I should ask about other than age, model and condition? I have a friend in Melbourne who might be able to inspect for me but I will need to give him plenty of guidelines to work with.

Thanks again

Timbo

colh
4th August 2003, 10:10 AM
Hi Timbo, 1chrome

at the risk of sounding like I am defending my own decision, may I suggest that you not be too quick to write off the capabilities of the $400 chinese lathe - especially if you are a new starter (as I am). I've used mine most weekends since January, doing all sorts of stuff including lidded boxes, bowls, pepper mills and a pair of stools. The only robustness issue I have had is vibration of the whole machine when I had a large chunk of irregular shaped timber. The band saw and an electric chain saw fix that problem. Otherwise I am confident it will be a few years yet before I reach the limit of its capability.

I think the quality of the scroll chuck and the tools you use, plus your level of skill, will influence your turning performance far more than the difference between the $400 lathe and a Woodfast or a whatever.

cheers

Colin

barnsey
4th August 2003, 10:55 AM
Must say I can support Colin's view.

My old man has a Teknatool and's been turning for more years than I may ever but he was the one who looked at the Hare & Forbes with me. He's even said he's impressed with what I've produced so I guess there's merit in that for the lathe, the tools and the chuck as well coz I'm a relative newcomer to the craft too!

OK - I'll take a little credit but the point remains I've used both machines and while mine does not have indexing in the headstock or quite the same speed capabilities I don't have to stop the lathe to crank the speed up or down either. The cast Iron bed is more than adequate and when it's bolted to the floor it will handle the out of balance issues within a safe margin. If it gets out of hand then I'm the one who's causing it not the lathe!!!

My tuppence anyway

Jamie:)

1chrome
4th August 2003, 09:36 PM
Hi guys

After much searching and looking i have found there seems to be two types of lathe the $400 and the $3000 and not too much in between.
I have decided to buy MC 900 from the Woodworkers Den in Brisbane were i got some good advice and service.With a good set of tools and other parts my $1000 buget is within reach
Also i saw the same lathe under the Jet name for $975 so it pays to shop around
So i thank everyone for thier advice and help in this endeavour.

1chrome

G00se
12th August 2003, 05:02 PM
Timbo;

You will find one, remember not to just go out and buy anyone do the research before the purchase. As you have done.

Good luck

gatiep
12th August 2003, 11:49 PM
I have been turning for many years on and off. Started on a homeade lathe that my father constructed many years ago. It was on a farm in south africa and the lathe was powered by a single cylinder Pfafner, watercooled engine. I have done extensive metal turning as I own two German made metal lathes. I do belong to a woodturning club here in Perth. I have found the cameradie and the knowledge pool very helpful. Guess those that don't belong to a club, get some of it here.Glad I found this site.
Back to the question about the first lathe that 1chrome is after. At the club we have a variety of lathes. We have the earlier model woodfast and some of the green Taiwanese/ R.O.C. whatever, lathes. The woodfast 280 in the pictures at the Turnery site, still uses locks on the toolrest height adjustment that are made from a solid piece of metal that looks like a bent beheaded bolt. Most times than not the damn end points upwards when it is tight and messes one around holding the tool. Furthermore the Woodfast lathes at the club need the motor to be loosened to enable one to use a rod to knock out the spurr drive. To change the speed one has to undo two screws, open a plate , undo the motor, change the belt position, tighten the motor, screw the plate back.........? Come on ............who designed this machine...................or did it just happen. I havn't looked at the 280 in real life, quiete frankly I am not interrested, as Ican see from those pictures that some of the original oversights are still around. The price scared me ......about $200 more than the Taiwan lathe and then another $200 plus for a stand. The woodfast motor is 1/2 hp. The Carbatec mc900 has 3/4 hp , the mc1100 has 1 hp. The Taiwanese machine has those fancy clip in/ out levers to adjust the toolrest height and on the tailstock lock as well.
Enough said about the specs. My point is that we use the Taiwanese machines and they get a hammering.....they are doing fine.
The most enjoyable turning that I ever did was on that old homemade petrol powered lathe......that was all I had and all I knew. So hey , it was the best at the time. A lathe is basically ( for bowl turning that is) just a shaft spinning a chuck. The rest are all refinements.
I aggree with Doorstop and others....pay your money, get a machine that you can get accessories for, Taiwanes? R.O.C. or whatever you can afford and spend your money on good tools AND turning lessons. Those good quality tools and turning lessons will still stand you in good stead long after you have replaced your first lathe.
Come to think of it Schumacher didn't start driving in a Formula 1 !
Thats my 2d worth in a hell of a thick book....but paperback tho.
Happy turning.

Timbo
14th August 2003, 01:05 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all your advice and comments. I, like 1chrome, have concluded that there is little available between $400 and $3000 in price. I will continue to look out for secondhand models, particularly Teknatool, but if I can't find anything will more than likely also purchase one of the many rebadged MC900 or 1100 models. I am hoping to attend the Canberra woodworking show in a couple of weeks time so hope to pick up some more advice and possibly a bargain there. I will be particularly looking for a decent set of chisels and a good chuck at a show special price.

Timbo

DarrylF
19th August 2003, 09:07 AM
I've had the MC900 since November last year - the Total Tools version, bought for a little over $400 at the time.

A few things I've worked out:
* The motor on this version is less than flash. Noise and heat are a problem with extended use (I'm a weekend warrior). The Carbatec version seems to have a better quality, finned motor.
* The stands on all these models are useless - open frame bolt together jobs that are awkward shaped and vibrate themselves to death. Build a good solid bench and bolt it to that.

You'll get a lot more value out of good tools, good sharpening equipment, good sanding gear, a good bandsaw and some nice turning timbers than you will out of a better lathe. Save the bucks, buy the MC900 in one of it's various forms, and concentrate on the other stuff you need to do it right.

If you enjoy it and stick with it, buy a better lathe later and pass the MC900 on to someone else to get them started.

Neil
20th August 2003, 12:47 AM
You should have a look at this http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5125 The bargain of the centuary.

Neil