PDA

View Full Version : Where to place a lathe?

mobrien
15th April 2007, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone,

My new lathe should arrive any day, and so its time to rearrange the shed.

There are two places I could put it - in the middle of the workshop (which is 7.5 x 9m). ADvantages here are easy access all around; easy light; easy position of the dust extractor (when I get it). Disadvantages - Have to walk to the grinder (unless I move it and mount it next to the lathe)

The second spot is either against the middle of the longest wall, or in the corner of the longest wall. This would be closer to the grinder - access around the lathe would be harder, and I suspect it would be messier and harder to clean up.

I'm the only one in the workshop, but we do plan kids in the near future, so safety of people (kids) behind a lathe is a consideration.

The lathe has a stand with cupboards, so the tools will all be with it.

I also eventually want a bandsaw in the middle of the shop somewhere too.

So to the question - where is your lathe? Would you move it if you could? Any reccomendations - side, corner or middle?

Matt

Iain
15th April 2007, 07:39 PM
How long is a piece of string, depends upon your set up, mine is against a wall with a grinder sitting next to it, a grinder is cheap so if you have to buy another one, put where you think it's right then move it later if it's wrong, thats how my shed evolved, much like everyone elses I suspect.
Be aware they do make a mess so arrange for an easy clean up of the area.

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2007, 07:45 PM
I have the big one accessable from all sides and the mini on the bench against the wall

rsser
15th April 2007, 07:49 PM
Some good stuff here on setting up your workshop:

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/category/podcast/

No. 10

The lathe among all ww machines is pretty compact in not needing much work area around it. You could have it against a wall but might want to leave space for a dust collector funnel.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th April 2007, 07:51 PM
The corner is the worst place you can possibly put it. It has all the disadvantages you've mentioned, plus more. If the headstock is in the corner, don't forget that you need to allow sufficient room for a knockout bar to remove the drive spur! If the tailstock end's in the corner, then you've more or less eliminated any chance of deep boring...

My mini lathe is on a bench against a wall... but that's a mini. One of my big boys is in the middle of the room, specifically for all 'round access. That's the one my major roughing and outboard turning is done on.

Another of my big boys is against a wall... it'd be in the middle if I had the room but I don't so it isn't. :shrug: One advantage is I've built shelves on the wall above it and mounted a chisel rack below them, so I have easy access to sundry bits'n'pieces (chuck-jaws, sandpaper, finishes, etc.) without having to walk anywhere. It is a right mongrel to clean behind though, 'cos the the shavings build up several inches thick (I think most of it is actually kicked under there while I'm working :-) and should be swept/shovelled away but that's nigh on impossible... I need to use a poker to drag it all forwards so I can start sweeping. Ugh!

Middle of the room is my advice. It's a simple matter to make a portable screen, a timber frame with steel mesh to protect anyone standing on t'other side. As a bonus you could also fit a stemmed light fitting for better spot illumination and a couple of basic "hooks" to hang lighter tools from. :wink: We do much the same thing at public demos.

But I'd say the majority of turners have theirs up against a wall...

Wild Dingo
15th April 2007, 08:54 PM
I fiddled and pharted around moving the lathe from one area to the next trying to work out the best spot for it... finally I settled on the right hand side of the doorway... roller door... thus I am able to have front access and headstock access if I ever get into doing larger peices it also gives the best light... well other than right in the doorway but thats where the main working bench is located and that takes priority...

So the shed is similar to yours in that its 6x9mtrs and has 2 roller doors which Ive changed the locations from the plans... so instead of both doors on one end of one long side Ive located one in the middle of one long side and one on the opposing short side the table saw jointer and thicknesser have been located to take advantage of moving long lengths of timber through one door through the machine and out the other door... the other long wall has near the above short wall door an area for the chainsaw and its bits and bobs then the dusty then the 9ft bench which presently houses the grinders and a storage cabinet above for the books plans and such and under the spare tools (ie scroll saw air nail guns and such... next along the wall is a 12ft (or there abouts bench on the end housing a disc belt sander then a work area with a quick throw together shelf unit for planes spokeshaves etc and clamps at the end in the corner underneath is the small wood storage and canoe moulds

turn the corner and another 12ft bench which at the far end has the linisher sander and some quick shelves with screws sandpaper storage box and machine parts underneath is the varnish glue etc storage along with bags of ear plugs contine to the corner with a 5ft x 3ft screap timber box then turning the corner is the lathe with the air compressor wedged between the two...

The router table sits in front of the last bench directly oposite in the middle backing up to the bandsaw... which in the centre of the two bays (imagine the shed in three bays the table saw thicknesser and jointer are in the end bay the bench and scrap box at the other end and the bandsaw work table and jointer in the middle) the spindle sander is the odd man out and lives between the jointer bandsaw and router table...

It works for me to have the lathe head near the doorway... mainly due to light and if I decide to turn the headstock around I can get at the damned screw (bending in a corner is just a bitch! :no: ) I think Id worry too much about loosing the grip on the chisel and seeing it fly across the shed and embed itself in one of the kids or the grandkids foreheads... could never forgive myself that one... so its against the wall and when in use I have a screen I hang down behind me... just in case

Cheers

paul collins
15th April 2007, 09:11 PM
i thought i had my lathe in the best position i could.near wall with window right behind it,room is about 30 x 30 feet.sold bandsaw today now room looks naked.been thinking all day where will new bandsaw go? only obvious place is where last one went,but i do like my short time looking at workshop that doesnt look so cluttered.:(

China
15th April 2007, 10:47 PM
If you only have one lathe then place it in a position to give allround access ( as mentioned above ) i f you realy get into turning you will aquire more lathes then position becomes less of an issue

lubbing5cherubs
15th April 2007, 10:57 PM
this is some food for thought. I am speaking as a mum here. there will be much better advice on lathe position but i have 2 thoughts to mention

1 make the lathe face the door so you can see if a kid comes in. nothing worse than them sneaking up on you.

2 if you are using a cabinet under the lathe. make sure it lockable. i would say taht could be a royal pain in the butt. i would be more inclined to put the tools up rather than down.

thats my opinion, now i take off my mum hat and let you guys back at it
Toni

joe greiner
15th April 2007, 11:20 PM
Don't let the grinder dictate the location of the lathe. I mounted my grinder on a tabletop attached to a rolling cart with drawers. Plastic pipes hang from the side of the tabletop to hold chisels. Accessories go in the drawers.

I second Toni's suggestion #1. Just as bad is an "adult" sneaking in, tapping you on the shoulder, and asking, "Hey, whatcha doin'." Haven't had it happen, but it's one of my least favourite nightmares.

Joe

cedar n silky
16th April 2007, 05:34 PM
Second time around, I put my new lathe right smack bang in front to one of my rollerdoors (with enough room to get right around), rather than against a wall like my previous one.
As previous posts suggest it is good to get all around it, but also with my poorer eyesight these days, if the weather permits, I open the rollerdoor and flood the area with natural light, and fresh air!:D
Also when cleaning up, my recent acquisition comes right into it's own, an air compressor. I suck up or sweep all the shavings, but blow al the fine dust off me, the lathe, tools, floor etc, right out the door.
And yes Imoved the grinder right to the door too, because there is nothing better than natural light, and if nessesary other lights to illuminate things.
My two bob's:; worth!

Cliff Rogers
16th April 2007, 05:51 PM
With my style, most of my chips fly over my sholder so I put mine just far enough off the wall for me to work comfortably between the lathe & the wall so a lot of the rubbish hits the wall behind me instread of flying all around the shed.
This also has the advantage that I can see people approaching me while I'm working. :2tsup:
Some pics here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=29841) & here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=29840) but not good quality.

mobrien
16th April 2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I just got a text message saying the lathe is packed on the truck and on its way to Brisbane - on the boat tonight and hopefully delivered Friday! So We'll see on Friday I guess! For the time being it looks like it will go in the middle of the shed towards the front - we'll see how that works and go from there. That also works well, as I've only wired the first half of the shed - waiting to build the benches at the back before I place the second circuit power and light so everything is in the right spots.

Thanks again

M

P.S. Looks like its going to be a good week. Lathe on Friday; Woodworking show over the weekend! Does it get any better?!

DJ’s Timber
16th April 2007, 07:41 PM
I don't think I saw any mention of what type of lathe you're getting, if you did I apologize.

mobrien
16th April 2007, 08:14 PM
No I don't think I mentioned it - its a 16 year old woodfast - 1.5m bed, all mounted on a cabinet. Comes with a full (and I mean full!) set of tools, chucks, bowl jigs, muliple toolrests etc etc

Retiring cabinetmaker selling up - deal of the century - $700 plus $300 delivery :D

Will post photos when it gets here!

M

DJ’s Timber
16th April 2007, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a bewdy :2tsup:

mobrien
16th April 2007, 08:24 PM
lol - yeah - I'm pretty excited (if you couldn't tell!)

Its funny - I actually won a lathe off ebay, went to pick it up and it was a piece of crap (centers didn't line up by 25mm!)

Then I found this one, and was very happy!

Its very like when I bought my sldiing compound mitre saw - initially bought a carbatec copy, and couldn't get a square cut. Either could they! So I got my money back and bought the makita. It was then I decided only old heavy or new expensive machinery. I nearly forgot that lesson with the new lathe!

M

fred.n
16th April 2007, 08:31 PM
- deal of the century - $700 plus $300 delivery :D

You got that right mobrien :) good onya :2tsup: :2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
16th April 2007, 10:00 PM
Looks like we have a similar setup (mine a bit smaller) and I went for the central option. Attached the pic of the hoped (I have not received the @#$%^ machines yet - but that is another story) arrangement. Any comments/advice welcome.
Cheers
Frank

DJ’s Timber
16th April 2007, 10:13 PM
I would put the D/P at the end of the cabinets between the main bench and the carving bench and the dust EX against the back wall or outside in it's own compartment and leave the B/S and lathe where they are

Touchwood
17th April 2007, 12:00 AM
If you are still having problems deciding where to put the lathe ... there's always room in my shed!!!!!!:wink: :wink:

JD

tashammer
17th April 2007, 02:26 AM
How kind and thoughtful you are JD. Muffled cough.

Frank&Earnest
17th April 2007, 02:56 AM
I would put the D/P at the end of the cabinets between the main bench and the carving bench

Good idea, thanks. Connection to a power point might be more difficult though.

and the dust EX ... outside in it's own compartment

Don't understand. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks
Frank

DJ’s Timber
17th April 2007, 11:28 AM
Good idea, thanks. Connection to a power point might be more difficult though.

Don't understand. Could you please elaborate?

Thanks
Frank

What I mean there, is to build a leanto or an oversize cupboard off the side or back of the shed or garage and run the pipe in thru the wall