PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Anniversary (wood) ideas

Matt88s
22nd April 2007, 02:27 PM
So I know this couple who are coming up on their 5th anniversary. I was thinking of turning or carving a gift for them, perhaps out of Purpleheart or some such wood. However I'm at a bit of a draw as to what to make. Any Ideas?

Is there a traditional gift or theme for this Anniversary?

I was thinking of turning a heart shape on one end and a nice fancy base on the other end then carving the heart down flat/oblong and putting their names or initials and maybe some flowers or scroll work on it.

What do you guys think? Throw some ideas at me. (:

Cheers!

Rookie
22nd April 2007, 04:50 PM
Well the fifth is wood...or clocks. So I suppose a wooden clock would be ideal.

Whatever it is I'd make it something they can use rather than something ornamental. Salt and pepper shakers and the like are always a good backstop, but maybe you can build some nice ones by laminating blocks together with contrasting timbers unique to the area they live in. I turned a nice small bowl for my sister and brother in law recently from a piece of 100 year old red gum fence post they gave me from a fence they pulled down at their place. They love it and are quite proud when they tell people where the wood came from.

tashammer
22nd April 2007, 05:42 PM
toothpicks, 100 each, separately and lovingly turned by you and each one individually signed by you, all tucked into little his and hers kegs. (That ought test yer patience).

rsser
22nd April 2007, 05:47 PM
... or burrs, to add to the routine irritations of connubial bliss