PDA

View Full Version : Old Woodfast Lathe

Penpal
22nd April 2007, 03:38 PM
I have a lathe the same as yours and yes I confess the first chuck similar many years ago now,I feel the chuck makes a good screw chuck the rest is pretty bumpy,the bearings were open so I changed them to sealed no maintenance ones.Vibration in the steel base was awful but dissapeared when I fitted a three phase motor.The frail steel base on mine was recognised in the States and Dale Nish only imported the lathe and had his own base made in the US because of it indeed mine has the outboard fittings and attachments came with chisels,uncanny really the resemblance.a mate of mine worked in a now extinct Govt Department here and when they closed gave first dibs to them to purchase,so my mate did that for me,they focussed on engineering so the wood lathe was seldom used and came to me as new,probably more than thirty years old when I got it many years ago.My son in law described his ideal lathe to me a while back and his desciption was short bed,variable speed,out board fitted,30mm shaft etc etc so I gave him my Woodfast 3 0r 400 Series,I had set it up high and he is taller than me at 6 foot 2 so it was tailor made for him.So now I will fit variable speed and my lathe like yours suits me fine as a main lathe. Peter

Penpal
22nd April 2007, 04:07 PM
Pic of Lathe the above was meant to fit with my new lathe etc ,never mind lucky to even access the forum lately so a jump so what,Peter:2tsup:

mobrien
22nd April 2007, 06:57 PM
Ooh - excellent! Someone with the same lathe - Peter you are now my "go to" man for questions!

Do you happen to have a manual? If so, I would love to get a copy - more than happy to pay for it.

I'd also love to know what the threads are on the spindle and outboard side. They are obviously reversed, and also a different pitch by the looks. I'll need to know the exact threads when I go to buy a couple of Novas. I'm thinking of the smaller model for the spindle side, and the larger one for the outboard.

I saw both at the Woodworking show today, both on a good special - but I resisted. Came home and my wife asked why I didn't buy them, I obviously need them.

Doh!

Matt

Penpal
23rd April 2007, 08:43 AM
On my lathe and as was common to these lathes is 1inch 10 threads normal on lathe in side and right hand 1inch on the outboard side. No I never had a manual but what is there to know since by todays standards they are very basic,ask any question you like on a pm and I will be pleased to help at any time. Peter:2tsup:

tashammer
23rd April 2007, 11:34 AM
i think we have a very happy Matt here, Peter.

mobrien
3rd May 2007, 08:05 PM
Defintley a happy matt!

Penpal - quick question. DO you grease your woodfast very often using the nipples? It has them all over, and I guess I need to buy a grease gun?

What do you think?

Matt

Solutions Aust
8th May 2007, 12:34 PM
Older Woodfast lathes had 1 inch 10 TPI right hand and left hand on the outboard side.
Later models have 30mm L/RH threads.

Contact us if want any further help.

Regards
Bronte Edwards
Woodfast Machinery Co AUST Pty Ltd

Ooh - excellent! Someone with the same lathe - Peter you are now my "go to" man for questions!

Do you happen to have a manual? If so, I would love to get a copy - more than happy to pay for it.

I'd also love to know what the threads are on the spindle and outboard side. They are obviously reversed, and also a different pitch by the looks. I'll need to know the exact threads when I go to buy a couple of Novas. I'm thinking of the smaller model for the spindle side, and the larger one for the outboard.

I saw both at the Woodworking show today, both on a good special - but I resisted. Came home and my wife asked why I didn't buy them, I obviously need them.

Doh!

Matt

styxywyx
21st June 2007, 06:35 PM
Fantastic discovery here!! - I think you may have the same model lathe as mine. I just posted a new thread asking for help with my old woodfast. I'm like Matt, very happy to discover this info and if you have a manual can you do a mass printing/ emailing/ scanning. I will cover costs and postage happily!!!!!
If You have found a source of spare parts I will never be able to thank you enough. Any advice about variable speeds, maintainence, motor mounts etc in fact any information at all will keep me a very happy Camper. I await your thoughts Penpal:2tsup:

JackoH
22nd June 2007, 10:14 AM
Usually have the date of manufacture stamped on the bed at the tailstock end.
I learnt to turn on one exactly like yours Peter.
Avery good and solid machine.

styxywyx
23rd June 2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Jack,
Have looked high and low for the serial No but can't see one - where exactly on the tailstock end should I look? The machine has been painted so it may be covered. I can't figure out how to post a photo or I'd show you:-

JackoH
24th June 2007, 09:33 AM
Usually right at the end of the bed on the flat surface on which the tailstock slides, on the bare metal.