PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw confusion …..

Sir Stinkalot
25th July 2003, 12:31 PM
Bandsaw confusion …..

I was wondering if those with a little more nous ….. or have spent long hours treading the pavement …. can point out in simple English the difference between the numerous models of 14” bandsaws that Carbatec sell. I understand that these bandsaws are sold under numerous brands depending on the location however I have included only Carbatec as they have the best catalogue and most people who frequent this board will have a copy for reference. I ask of you … if you have a bandsaw that is the same as the ones listed below and you wish to comment, could you please state your brand and where it was purchased and then the equivalent Carbatec model number … very important.

It must also be noted which accessories are available:
Deluxe Blade Guide Set – SBW-GUIDE $88.00
Rip Fence – RF-1 $39.00
Professional Rip Fence – RF-3 $85.00
6” Riser kit – SBW-3501-RBK-2 $119.00

I am looking at getting one at the Melbourne Show … I want to know exactly what I am getting before I go in and don’t want to stuff around making decisions on the day as they will often be wrong. I was originally looking at the SW-1401 $499 plus the deluxe guides $88.00 plus the professional fence $85.00 Total = $672.00. But now looking at it the BAS-350 for only $63.00 more will offer dust extraction for the cyclone J as well as two speeds and higher depth of cut. But on the other hand I have heard bad news from the same model in a different brand …. or I think it was the same model.

HELP

Here they are …..

Sorry I couldn't attach a table onto this board so I had to include a text file ... eveybody can open and read it. I will be able to update it when more information comes in. The ? in the table means that it wasn't stated in the the catalogue and I didn't want to make an of myself by guessing ..... if you know the answer to ? let me know and I will update it.

Stinky

Sir Stinkalot
25th July 2003, 01:00 PM
Here it is ....

Dan
25th July 2003, 01:21 PM
I have the Carbatec SW 1401

Comes with mitre gauge (but not really accurate).
Professional rip fence won't fit without mods.
None of the bearings (after market guides, trunions) have proper seals in them (not expensive to rectify).
Bigger table on the BAS-350 would be very useful.
Plastic table insert too thin and flexible (made new one)

Dan

craigb
25th July 2003, 04:13 PM
G'day Stinky,

At the Sydney WWW show I bought the Jet JWBS 14CS which I believe is made in the same factory as the Carba-tec sbw3501.

The jet has a 1 hp motor (I don't unsderstqand this .75 to 1 hp thing that carbatec advertise. Surely the motor is either one or the other, or is it, if it's your lucky day you get 1hp? Beats me - I only know that on the examples that Carbatec were actually selling the motor plate said .75 hp)

The Jet comes with "Jet Blocks" which I understand to be graphite blocks. The Jet does not come with a fence, althougth frankly you'd probably do just as well with a lump of wood clamped to the table as you would with standard carbatec fence. The Jet doesn't come with a mitre guide. The jet has hinged doors.

I bought the carbatec deluxe fence and it fits pretty well (see my post in a previous topic). I've used it a bit to cut very accurate tenons with a 1/8" blade. I like it and think it's a worthwhile purchase.

At the show, the sbw 3501 was 699 and the Jet was 775.
I don't think that there's much between the two, I went for the Jet because of the extra power and because it would colour co-ordinate with my other Jet stuff :) ( just kidding).
I don't regret the purchase and I'd buy it again.

In fact my bandsaw is my current favorite tool :)

I hope this is ofsome help to you.

Cheers
Craig

alf t
25th July 2003, 07:20 PM
SirS
If you read the bandsaw height thread , amongst the BS you will see 2 users who have bought the BAS350 and both are very happy with it. Bandsaws are like dogs I dont think that there are many bad bandsaws on the market , (too many good ones for them to survive) but like dog owners there are probably a lot of mediocre users

PS I believe my grandad was irish!

Alf

Jim Carroll
25th July 2003, 08:08 PM
Sir stinkalot as you have already read most of the posts regarding bandsaws you have to keep one thing in mind and that is what are you buying it for. If your main use is woodturning then any one of the main saws will do .If it is for more precision work then you do your homework on the guides as they help point the blade in the right direction. If you want depth of cut go to a 16" or bigger machine riser blocks on the 14" machines dont seem to work very well. If you want to cut thin veneers clamp a jig to the table that runs true to the blade as every blade does not track straight due to set of the teeth and wear on the teeth etc Dust extraction on any bandsaw is a must as they generate a lot of dust.Mitre gauges and rip fences seem to be a waste of money due to the uncertainty of the blade. You are best to make any jigs required to do the work you want.

Sir Stinkalot
25th July 2003, 09:56 PM
alf - Yes I have read that post along with basically every other post on this board and thus my confusion. Here are two posts that I have found that have made me think twice about the BAS-350.

1. Posted by JackG 21.10.02
"I purchased a 14" BAS350 from carbatec about a month ago, the engineering of that machine is imho sub standard, the finish is pathetic, I had to replace all the screws with the plastic handle with entirely metal screws after 2 weeks, the base is very weak and to operate properly the saw needs either a stronger base or being bolted to the floor, the fence has a non operational horizontal/vertical adjusting system."

But then he goes on to say that he is quite happy with it and would buy it again.

2. Posted by Derek Cohen 31.01.03
"Dean, I think that you can do better than this machine (the BAS 350). I looked it over before purchasing another Carba-tec branded machine, one that is sold in the USA as Rigid (in fact, the box it came in had the Rigid name cast into the polystyrene packaging). I don't know the number, but it is a very new item (here in Perth) and your branch may not yet have one in stock.

The Rigid will accept a 6" riser kit, while the 350 will not (so you are limited in the size of your resaw).

The finish of the Rigid is far superior, for example, polished cast iron saw table vs the rougher casting on the 350. Generally, the 350 felt flimsy in comparison.

The fence on the 350 looks great. But it is flexes easily. The fence on the Rigid was rigid (sorry!) but requires two screw downs and I have replaced it with the aftermarket "Profesional" bandsaw fence Carba-tec sell. At $88 it is a little luxury but the total price is still not much more than the 350."

And then to add more fuel to my fire .....

3. Posted by Wayne Davy 04.05.03
"I checked around a fair bit and ended up buying a Hare & Forbes Euro Style 14" (really 13") at their annual sale for $520!!! This is nearly identical to the one Timbecon and Carbatec sell for $780 (I think theirs are actually 14"). These ones meet the above. The only down side is the Euro style ones will not take a Riser kit (which increases the depth of cut). This did not worry me as I have been told and read that riser kits are not that great and put a strain on the motor if you cut to their max."

The type of work that I will be doing will vary from cutting blanks for the lathe to attempting veneers and boxes. I think that when I have one I will use it more often than I would haev thought. I am not interested in the riser kit so there is something I can strike off the list. After reading Waynes comments I may have to check out Hare & Forbes. I still think I favour the BAS-350 at this stage.

I just seem to find that unlike other tools there are so many variations with little justification in the increase in price. If you pay more for a stereo you tend to get better quality sound .... more money on a PC and you get a faster processor .... more money on a bandsaw ???????

Stinky.

Wayne Davy
25th July 2003, 10:54 PM
Stinky,

If you are looking at the $700+ retail bracket - check out the H&F 16A.

385mm Throat (bit over 15")
230mm Depth of cut (over 9"!!!!)
1500w Motor (induction)
Hinged covers with safety switches
Cast Iron wheels
All Roller Bearing Guides
Massive Table (505x400)
100mm Dust chute

All for $799 list. You should be it much better at the show.
Big machine though 1750mm high - no stand to remove as this is a complete unit (ie casing starts at the floor)

btw I love my BP-300. Smaller throat but it does have a 180m (7") depth of cut which was more important to me. I got it for around $520 (cannot remember exactly) at their sale and it is lovely. Same types of specs as the 16a just smaller and 1hp.

Wayne Davy
25th July 2003, 11:07 PM
Stinky,

I posted up the details of the 16a before. Scanned image from their catalogue at:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4222&pagenumber=2

alf t
26th July 2003, 12:02 PM
Well SirS you've really put the cat amongst the pidgeons, Interesting to read the comments.
Derek C mentions a Rigid from Carbatec but to get any height it needs a riser I tried one on my 14" and it just did not feel right so I now have a brand new riser in among the discards...(I sold the 14in Bormac last week). I need to be able to cut at least 200m as I make boxes from Burl and laminated wood a la Ventura.
I think the H&F with its greater HP and $799. sounds good although AWR article canned it a bit. I will be having lunch with Derek at the PWS so will pick his brains.
Will be very interested in your choice in the finish.

Alf :

TonyG
28th July 2003, 09:20 PM
Craigb has expressed confusion about the Carbatec catalogue stating motor power as 0.75 - 1 hp
I beleive that it actually is a slight error in the translation into english.
Nominally, 0.75kW is equal to 1 hp. ( actually it is 0.746 kW = 1 hp.)
Therefore the power stated should be "0.75kW / 1hp"

Tony G:

craigb
29th July 2003, 10:08 AM
Well you may be right Tony G. The spec plate on the machine though said .75 hp not kw.