PDA

View Full Version : Poll - How many are thinking about building a Cyclone Dust Collector

Wayne Davy
25th July 2003, 11:24 PM
Ok, Stinky and Eastie have been having fun - time for a serious poll. (Well as serious as I can be give it is friday night and the beer has been very nice thank you).

So, how many are thinking/reading/building a Cyclone D/C?

zathras
26th July 2003, 01:25 PM
You've left an option out, those who have already built a cyclone.

Mine's almost 2 years old now, I even built my own blower!

Cheers Ray

zathras
26th July 2003, 01:27 PM
I should add, I can happy sit back and admire my cyclone with a fridge full of ice cold beer :p

Wayne Davy
26th July 2003, 10:37 PM
Ray,

Yes, I realised I left out "Admiring my homemade Cyclone while drinking a beer" but I had already submited the poll and only Moderators can edit it now. Pretty dumb as I had to select "build one" for myself even though I, of course, already have one. I was not lying however as I have just been building a Mini-Cyclone (new thread about to launch).

Help Mr. Moderator!!!! Can you add "Admiring my homemade Cyclone while drinking a beer" to the poll???

zymurgy
26th July 2003, 11:22 PM
Or for the Melbourne users: It's too friggin cold to even look at my cylcone :mad:

Wayne Davy
26th July 2003, 11:33 PM
Getting a bit chilly up here too! The workshop thermometer says its 12 deg. - too cold to work on the mini-cyclone tonight (see new thread)

:D

zymurgy
26th July 2003, 11:50 PM
Wayne,

That's warm!

Gordon.

Wayne Davy
26th July 2003, 11:56 PM
Gordon,

No mate - warm is 20 deg which it was today. There was a bit of a cool wind blowing but still reasonably pleasant. :p

Shane Watson
27th July 2003, 10:10 AM
Geez boys I just got home from Darwin where its 34 with high humidity, apprantly they don't believe in winter up there!!

Oh, and I had already altered poll mate...heheh...But I will add that too.. Mwahahahaha..

Ivan in Oz
27th July 2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Wayne Davy
Gordon,
There was a bit of a cool wind blowing but still reasonably pleasant. :p

G'Day Wayne,
It got below Zero this morning, so I have to ask myself, "What am I doing going to work?"

I like the idea of a Cyclone, or at least some method of Sawdust extraction. The Cypress Pine dust is NOT good for ones health :(

Does anyone know of any up Darling Downs way, I could have a squiz at?
Even to take a run on the Bike, with Son, to Brisvagas, to look at one.

Thanks for all the pointers else where on this forum.
I shouldn't lurk as much as I do.

Ivan

Wayne Davy
27th July 2003, 05:35 PM
Ivan,

I'd be happy for you (or anyone else for that matter) to come look at mine in Brisbane (Tarragindi) on a weekend.

You can see the big commercial ones at Gregory Machinery as well but these are huge and not cheap.

derekcohen
28th July 2003, 12:10 PM
Wayne

Can you tell me how I could connect a cyclone to my hand planes? And do I need more than one collector since I have several planes, that is, do I require a dedicated inlet for each?

Keenly waiting your response to this vexing problem.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wayne Davy
28th July 2003, 12:27 PM
Derek,

Lets see - first you need to make a stand for the hand-plane and then remove the blade and fit it to a Cylinder which has a pulley on the end. Fit the Cylinder holding the blade back into the (modified) plane body and then attach a motor to the Cyclinder pulley via a V belt. A couple of in/out feed tables might also come in handy.

Ok, now get some ply and make an open ended box. One end completely open and the other with a 4" (100mm) round hole. Place this box under the Cylinder and hook up the Cyclone to it.

As for the other planes - you could gang them all together side by side and get a wider cut in one hit - might even get close to 10".

There you go - should work Ok and also save you building up a sweat using those old things :D

Oh - I personally would not follow this advice as I love my handplanes but you did ask how to do it :p :D :p

derekcohen
28th July 2003, 12:48 PM
Thanks Wayne, great help!

Derek :) :p :D :D

Sir Stinkalot
28th July 2003, 12:57 PM
Wayne .... what has happened to the votes? This morning there were more people admiring their own cyclones than those reading about them ..... now the admiring have reduced in numbers in favour of the readers. Is this poll really as legitimate as Easties and my own? :confused:

Wayne Davy
28th July 2003, 01:19 PM
Stinkie,

I dont know what is happening either! Last night there was 26 people with Cyclones (way more than I thought there would be) and now only one!! :confused:

Maybe we should be asking Shane as only Moderators can adjust polls (us mortals are not allowed to even if we create the poll!)

Something fishy is going on.

Fishy Fishy Fishy.....Mwahahahaha.....
Dont mind me I was just fiddling with things.....Everything is as it should be and all results are to my desire...Ooops I MEAN THEY"RE ACCURATE.... :eek:

Wayne Davy
28th July 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by derekcohen
Thanks Wayne, great help!

Derek :) :p :D :D

Seriously, I like watching the nice curls of wood coming out of a handplane and it's also nice to see a collection of them on my workbench. However, cleaning up takes just a second by just sweeping the lot off the end of the bench where my Cyclones floor sweep is located or I can now use my mini-cyclone to do it.

Wayne Davy
29th July 2003, 12:09 AM
Suck - Yep - that is the general idea :D :p :D

Wayne Davy
1st August 2003, 12:52 AM
Shane,

Is it possible to edit the Poll as I had to enter my Vote as 'Building One' as I had not added the 'Already got one' option (duh). Thanks for fixing these options up btw.

(note: I was not telling a fib as I was building the mini-cyclone at the time)

DONE! ;)

Wayne Davy
1st August 2003, 10:46 PM
Shane,

Thanks Mate!

GeoffS
6th October 2003, 09:49 AM
OK - I am another who needs to move from 'building one' to 'admiring my homebuilt one'.
Wow! does it work well - it really SUCKS.
Before putting any filter on the outlet I made a test - fed handfulls of mixed sawdust and chips (out of the old bags) into one of the inlets. Saw nothing coming out of the outlet. OK, you can't see the fine dust - but I reckon I could see dust coming thru the bags at times - could certainly smell it. With the cyclone - nothing.
Thanks Wayne for all your enthusiasm providing the encouragement.
Cheers

Wayne Davy
6th October 2003, 12:03 PM
Geoff,

No worries! Great to see another Cyclone is up and running.

Once you have one, you would never go back to the Bag units thats for sure.

Robert WA
13th October 2003, 10:54 PM
I couldn't vote because I was admiring my homemade beer while thinking about a cyclone. Why wasn't that option provided?