PDA

View Full Version : Salt and Pepper and mills

WillyInBris
23rd April 2007, 07:22 PM
Ladies and Gents.

I am thinking of making some largish salt and pepper mills for the family for Xmas.

Looks like I am going to need to make about nine sets all up, whoops ten one set for me as well.

Because I am looking at making so many I am thinking of getting a "EYE" lock Spindle Chuck from CWS (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144867&product_id=1107369518) to cut down on some work, so I don't have to play around with jam chucks etc.

Anyone tried a spindle chuck, tried google but didn't have much luck.

Thanks Peoples

DJ’s Timber
23rd April 2007, 07:49 PM
I tried the EYE lock chuck from CWS and did not like it, it throws the timber off centre to much for my liking.

I went back to my Vicmarc 35mm pin jaws and have never had had prob with them, just make sure not to over tighten them

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd April 2007, 07:59 PM
Yep. Pin-jaws get my vote too.

Sometimes the steps in the bottom end of the mill are too large for p/j's though, (eg if you're recessing the mech in deeply so you can cut away and make "legs") so if the blank has plenty of excess meat I'll use faceplate rings instead. This means using centering plugs or a mandrel to spindle-turn the outside, but at least it's both securely mounted and properly centred. :wink:

WillyInBris
23rd April 2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys :2tsup: ,

Ill give pin jaws a go and at half the price it will keep wife happy.

I do have another question, I have a teknatool chuck SN2 will the 35mm vicmark pin jaws fit it or do I have to buy the 25mm teknatool pin jaws.

WillyInBris
23rd April 2007, 08:26 PM
And thanks skew for putting the idea of feet in my head!

DJ’s Timber
23rd April 2007, 08:46 PM
I do have another question, I have a teknatool chuck SN2 will the 35mm vicmark pin jaws fit it or do I have to buy the 25mm teknatool pin jaws.

Can't help you with that one as I only have Vicmarc chucks, think Skew got a SN2 so could take my jaws to his place to see if they fit or could be made to fit

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd April 2007, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they won't. It'd be interesting to see how much the hole pattern misses out by, though.

Cliff'd be the bloke to ask, he has both. (And is eyeing off my chuck in the prize-draw. :()

DJ’s Timber
23rd April 2007, 09:00 PM
(And is eyeing off my chuck in the prize-draw. :()

Don't you mean my chuck :(( :q

mobrien
23rd April 2007, 09:02 PM
Don't you mean my chuck :(( :q

Come on guys - no fighting.

*takes chuck away*

:D:2tsup:

WillyInBris
24th April 2007, 05:42 PM
Did someone say chuck, what chuck I want to win a chuck cmon guys how about letting me have the chuck :)

rsser
24th April 2007, 06:19 PM
Teknatool and Vicmarc are like micks and proddies. They don't marry well ;-}

The jaws don't match, tho there is an adaptor around for a one way swap, can't remember which direction - and Teknatool don't recommend it.

WillyInBris
24th April 2007, 06:53 PM
Well I guess I will have to give the 25mm Teknatool jaws a go then and see how they work out.

Gra
24th April 2007, 07:15 PM
cmon guys how about letting me have the chuck :)

Ok,

Drink lots of red wine:D :D

P.S. its mine......

rsser
24th April 2007, 07:16 PM
WiB, it's years since I did pepper grinders and I don't recall much of the method but I'm almost certain I wouldn't have used my pin jaws. I'd guess I used shark jaws (Vicmarc) ? spigot jaws (T'tool).

The plus here is that those jaws get a good deal more use in other projects than pin jaws.

(Ah yes, it's coming back; I used a home-turned mandrel in the base recess.).

Timbre Surfer
1st May 2007, 10:10 AM
morning gents (and ladies)

as far as pepper grinders go, we have been lacking in a decent one for a while and that seems like a great little project, but where do you get decent internal workings (the grinder bits) from?

Big Shed
1st May 2007, 10:19 AM
morning gents (and ladies)

as far as pepper grinders go, we have been lacking in a decent one for a while and that seems like a great little project, but where do you get decent internal workings (the grinder bits) from?

Jim Carroll is a great supporter of the forum and he sells lots of interesting bits and pieces, he also does mail order:

http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144815

Brown Dog
1st May 2007, 10:51 AM
Big shed is spot on

I recently got some of the "crush grind" mechanisms from Jim. I havent got around to making any yet (hopefully soon though) but from what I have seen and read these are some of the best you can buy.

cheers
BD:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
1st May 2007, 12:46 PM
I third the the remarks above, have made quite a few and have found the Crushgrind Mechanisms to be the best, plus the fact they come with a 25 year Warranty must say something for them.

Everyone that has bought or received them as gifts from me has also commented on how smooth they are to operate as well

WillyInBris
1st May 2007, 06:07 PM
How bloody rude Hijacking my thread like that :D :D :D .

I was going to post the same question, looked at the ones at Carbatec store wasn't to sure on them though as they looked a bit cheap?

As for the CWS ones I cant really see much from the little photo Jim has on his site. so I cant tell if they are the same or different?

I am going to need to buy a fair few and the last thing I am going to want to hear from the family members is its broken but a 25 year warranty sounds good and sounds like quality.

Can anyone tell me or Jim jump in if ya get the chance, can you change the grinder settings from say coarse to fine etc.

Brown Dog
1st May 2007, 06:12 PM
How bloody rude Hijacking my thread like that :D :D :D .
Can anyone tell me or Jim jump in if ya get the chance, can you change the grinder settings from say coarse to fine etc.

G'day willy

you can with the crushgrind...apparently you can even grind coffee with them...the crushing part is also ceramic so when using as a salt grinder they dont rust.

this is the link to the crushgrind thingys on Jims site

http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144815&product_id=1107383875

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2007, 06:15 PM

Yes, if it's a true CrushGrind.

The adjustment's on the bottom end, which means the shaft doesn't have to go all the way thru the top for the locking nut... and that you can get really creative with your shapes. :thyel:

Jim Carroll
1st May 2007, 06:22 PM
The crushgrind mechanism is ceramic and has a 25yr warranty on the ceramic parts.

The will work on rock salt, herbs and spices and peppercorns easily.

You can make your own mix so it will all go in the one mill. Salt does not corode the mechanism.

You adjust the mechanism from coarse to fine easily with the grey adjuster at the bottom of the mill.

They come in 2 lenghts 260mm and 500mm so you can make a mill from 125mm to 750mm easily.

http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144815&product_id=1107383875

WillyInBris
1st May 2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks Jim, Skew, BD, DJS, and anyone else I missed for that.

I had been looking at Jims site but hadnt seen the crush grind only the other cheaper models as I had only seen the first page :doh: lots of other things I can use as well.

Will put my order in this thursday, Once again thanks

johnw1
2nd May 2007, 03:03 PM
And here is their official web site.

http://www.crushgrind.com.au/index.php

John

WillyInBris
2nd May 2007, 09:17 PM
Well just placed my order for the Crushgriders at Jim Carrol's and the wife wanted a Barometer as well :2tsup:

I really didn't think she new what a Barometer was :), but should look good on the wall anyway hope it comes with some kind of instructions and a rain dance guide:D .

Maybe it will bring some rain, we bloody need it.

Anyway now to hunt for some nice blanks for the mills?

rsser
2nd May 2007, 09:44 PM
Barometer mount's a nice turning challenge. Reddish timber to match the brass I reckon.

Mills, something fine grained and easy turning or you trash a forstner bit. I like Silky Oak or Beech but neither are timbers you'd want to eat. Sheoak or Plane also give a nice fleck. Sheoak's a bit hard though. Myrtle? What colours do you like?

DJ’s Timber
2nd May 2007, 10:03 PM

Mills, something fine grained and easy turning or you trash a forstner bit.

Blackwood great for this :U. lovely smoky effects when drilling :q :2tsup:

rsser
2nd May 2007, 10:06 PM
LOL, yeah, heart in mouth stuff. All those shavings underneath.

Once did a set of napkin rings out of desert acacias. Boring them out was enough to turn cream sapwood brown not to mention do the bit edges in.

WillyInBris
2nd May 2007, 10:15 PM
Yep agree on the Barometer need something to set off the Brass something red bordering on a brown maybe.

As for the Mills maybe something like some Black heart sassafras, I really like the swirling of that type of wood, or maybe a dark brown say dark chocolate colour?

DJ’s Timber
2nd May 2007, 10:23 PM
I've still got some Blackwood that has been cut for Mills, dry & ready to go if you want some.

rsser
2nd May 2007, 11:03 PM
A few ideas for shapes:

http://www.woodcentral.com/contests/turning4/

(in the lower frame)

WillyInBris
5th May 2007, 05:07 PM
Hey Rsser :2tsup: ,

You really got me thinking about grinders after your comments on the other thread last night, this morning I went to the fresh veg markets in Brisbane, this is a normal thing the wife and I do every Saturday anyway was looking over one of the stalls deciding on what mushrooms and apples to buy some really nice apples with a glass like red appearance caught my eye, anyway then it got me thinking that I don't just have to stick to classy woods that are a bit on the $$ side I could use a cheaper hardwood and dye them maybe keeping costs down but giving them a classy look as well.

Even though I love some of the woods sassafras huon etc some would be wasted on my family members so a nice coloured dye with a glass like finish would suit them more and keep some $$ in my pockets and cold prob do some real cool things as well with them.

Whats everyone's thoughts.

Has anyone had play with dyes etc how did you go, any hints, any links to some guides I think Neil (ubeaut) supplies some dyes will go and have a look.

rsser
5th May 2007, 07:06 PM
Good thinking Willy.

Dyeing has its ins and outs.

You can do a black by soaking steel wool in vinegar. You can use ordinary food dye eg over cypress with a shellac sealer.

The ubeaut dyes are water based so I think will need a non-water based sealer over them.

Tassie oak would be a good cheap timber to practise your grinder making skills on but I'm not sure it takes a dye well. You could seal and paint it but bear in mind these units get some hard use and the paint may not last very well.