PDA

View Full Version : That weed Camphor Laurel !

BernieP
24th April 2007, 04:10 PM
G'Day All

Getting back into the swing of things, sweet stand camphor and red cedar, lidded dish just campor laurel and worm holes, critics appreciated as usual.

Cheers
Bernie

Wild Dingo
24th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Bernie... mate Im at a loss for words here... theyre beautifull... no seriously they are!! :2tsup: ... is the lollie thingy on a lazy susan base?...

camphor laurel and I have this fascination for each other you know :; Ive got a bloody nice big tree out beside the back of the house that is coming down as soon as this place goes on the market but before its on the market... I aint leavin it or the elm or the other trees here for some other yobbo without a clue to rip down and turn into mulch!! :~

Well done mate! :2tsup:

tashammer
24th April 2007, 05:08 PM
i luuuurv camphor laurel, nuff sed.

TTIT
24th April 2007, 06:05 PM
Personally I think the lollies suck and my grandkids wouldn't eat 'em either.

Luvly job on the stand and the box though - top stuff :2tsup:

BernieP
24th April 2007, 06:46 PM
G'Day TTIT

Lollies sugar free, only ones missus allowed to eat, I agree won't eat them myself don't know why they put them in such plain paper! (so diabetics are not tempted?)

G'Day Wild Dingo

Hasn't got a bearing under it, but thanks for idea next one will.

G'Day Tas

Got a shed full of camphor wish some of you guys were closer would gladly share, but as usual freight is a killer.

Cheers
Bernie

tashammer
24th April 2007, 07:13 PM
i wonder how it would all look if you had cascading plants (artificial, but the good kind), on the trays?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th April 2007, 07:17 PM
Only "criticism" I have, if you can call it that, is that I would've liked to see both platters as a "matching set." ie. The same profile and a close grain pattern. As it is, IMHO the top platter tends to show up the bottom one. :shrug: But beggars can't be choosers and we all work with the wood we got, right?

The box is CL too? What a contrast to the stand! A couple of nice things about CL, besides the smell (love that smell... in small doses :wink:) is that it is available almost everywhere (I guess they call it a weed for good reason :rolleyes:) and the range of colouring it can have.

When I first started turning, I was told "don't bother with Vic grown CL, it's bland stuff. It's the CL from the Northern states that has all the colours." HOGWASH! When I hear of a CL being felled around here, I'll still turn up with chain-saw in hand every time... :D

Nice pieces BTW. I'll let you keep the lollies though. :p

BernieP
24th April 2007, 07:27 PM
G'Day Skew

Thanks as usual for critique, unfortunately trays from different trees and box another one, all CL am attaching closer look at box.

Cheers
Bernie

Wild Dingo
24th April 2007, 07:44 PM
Oh now thank you for that Bernie!! :2tsup: No seriously thanks! shows the chisel marks perfectly :; and some small runout tears ooooooh mate thank you... see I thought it was just me who "liked" to leave those wee marks on his stuff but see you do to so its all good! :2tsup: Wonder what its gonna end up like after Dereks had a go at me chisels tomorrow? ooooohhh to have sharp chisels... and spokeshaves and well you get the idea! :doh:

Really looking forward to meetin up with a forum legend and learnin stuff... sadly only for about 3 hours but Im a bit of a soak when it comes to learnin stuff so hopefully I can get enough into the mushy stuff that some of it stays there eh?! :roll:

Cheers Bernie... still looks great :2tsup: how do yous blokes get the lids to match the opening in the top of the damned bowls?? mine always seem to be out by far too much and end up being platters under the bowl :doh:

ss_11000
24th April 2007, 09:14 PM
excellent work bernie...:2tsup:

CL is one of my fave woods to:) ( well at least the smell...and usually the grain )

cheers

BernieP
24th April 2007, 10:33 PM
G'Day Wild Dingo

I always tend to show my pieces warts and all, that way I get honest critique and learn from it. Enjoy the sharp tools.

Cheers
Bernie

Gil Jones
25th April 2007, 02:32 PM
Nice work, Bernie!!!
Camphor is great wood to turn, and smells soooo good.

BernieP
25th April 2007, 08:44 PM
G'Day Gil

Thanks for comments

Cheers
Bernie

OGYT
28th April 2007, 02:03 AM
Really nice lookin' job on that piece, Bernie.
I wonder if your Camphor Laurel is the same as our Camphor... All I'd seen before, here in the upover, is pretty bland lookin' wood, til I got a piece from Gil. It really looks nice.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th April 2007, 02:19 AM
If it smells the same, it's probably the same tree.

Some areas down here grow bland trees, while others have mega-colouration. I think the soil content has a lot to do with it. (Or maybe it's just those trees which attract passing wild-life, such as dogs or blokes in need of relief...? :wink:)

tashammer
28th April 2007, 02:50 AM
so Skew,
You are finally owning up to killing that lemon tree are ya? Bout time too.

OGYT
28th April 2007, 09:53 AM
:rotfl: Skew, that ain't what makes that timber smell so good!!