PDA

View Full Version : pen blank swap

lubbing5cherubs
28th April 2007, 02:41 PM
Gidday I had posted this before the crash so I am repeating it. who in Australia would be interested in doing a pen blank swap. For example a satchel or a minimum 20 pen blanks whatever is obtainable around you. This is an idea I stole off the pen shop for here. Who else would be interested in swapping like for the 1st of June with there partners the pen blank. What do you reckon sound like fun to share aussie woods around?
Thanks Toni

ps If I remember correct I thought DJ said he was interested in the idea
all the best Toni:D

DJ’s Timber
28th April 2007, 03:15 PM
ps If I remember correct I thought DJ said he was interested in the idea

That is correct Toni, I was going to suggest this idea too but you beat me to it :doh:

mobrien
28th April 2007, 03:46 PM
DJ - you snooze you loose! :D

I'm up for this too... great idea.

M

Simomatra
28th April 2007, 05:46 PM
Count me in

Great idea

Fireman sam
28th April 2007, 05:51 PM
count me in
Andrew

Touchwood
28th April 2007, 08:14 PM
Sound like a good idea .. according to HWMBO I'm accumulating wood faster than I'm using it! Some WA timbers coming someones way!

JD

ScrollZilla
29th April 2007, 02:09 AM
I wanna live in Australia :bigcry:

mobrien
29th April 2007, 07:43 AM
Scroll,

I don't see why you can't be part of this? I'd happily send aussie blanks to the states and get US blanks in return.

As long as the blanks coming TO australia have not bark, dirt, look clean (and of course don't have bugs!) they will get through the inspection - its just a matter of it all being carefully written on the custom declaration.

I have got plently of raw wood that has made it to me from the states - I fly radio control planes, and every kit I have got from the states has raw wood in it, and every kit has been opened and checked.

ANyway - thats enough from me - long story short, the way I think this swap is supposed to work is two people get paired up and they swaps woods. I'll put my hand up to be your partner if this is the case, and happily take my chances.

M

Simomatra
29th April 2007, 11:43 AM
Scroll,

I don't see why you can't be part of this? I'd happily send aussie blanks to the states and get US blanks in return.

M

I agree Cann't see why we should restrict this to just Oz members makes for a wider variety of timbers as long as our strict customs rules are obeyed

lubbing5cherubs
29th April 2007, 12:52 PM
yep join in scroll you are very welcomed you can exchange wood acrylics local and afar. feel free to join USA and wherever more the merrier
Toni

ScrollZilla
29th April 2007, 01:33 PM
G'day Y'all,
In that case, count me in. Now if you could be as kind as to fill me in on the details of how it works, I will gather up what wood I can and chip in. You all are the best :)

Rick

soundman
29th April 2007, 10:13 PM
Hows this
the person wishing to swap (we will call him or her the swapper)
how much ( by weight & or nimber of blanks ) they wish to swap
what sort of timber they are willing to swap
where they are happy to freight to
and what they are looking for.

A person wishing to swap with that person (the swappee)
should then make a matching offer.

remember the single biggest cost here is freight.
Freight to & from the US is pretty steep unless you are very patient.

2kg (4 pounds) will cost about $60ausie.

cheers

bdar
30th April 2007, 12:36 AM
Soundman if Toni is going to run this like the one we are doing at TPS at the moment, it is a set quantity of blanks, eg what can fit into a flat rate box or a satchel. If you get someone from the States paired with an Aussie, pm each other how they will send them so you know what sort of cost and time frame you have. As for the blanks at The Pen Shop we deal in 3/4" blanks and you give the recipient quality of blanks that you would like to receive. As for who gets who, it is pot luck at which names are drawn out of the hat. I have to send blanks to my pen blank partner, plus I have 60 going to Alabama and 24 going to Texas will let you know what it costs me.
Darren

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2007, 12:41 AM
I have not that long ago sent Scroll 38 blanks I think from memory which weighted just under the 2kg mark, (one more and she was over 2kg) for $64.something

bdar
30th April 2007, 12:49 AM
Dj you sent it priority air, 7 day turn around, the price sounds about right. If you are doing a swap in the States they have to pay postage as well. But keeping the parcels under that 2kg is the best way to go. With my 60 blanks the will be 3 parcels. Easier to handle as well.
Darren

Froggie40
30th April 2007, 01:03 AM
Well I am up for it too count me in, in regards to postage costs to the states when I first swapped some blanks with Scroll I sent 10 Brown Mallee Burl a couple of Mulberry and a couple of WA She oak it weighed around 1.2kg and it cost me $25 I thought that was quite reasonable so maybe we should make the swap amount to around the 10 to 15 mark that will keep it under the 2kg for those who have to post to the states and keep the postage rates at a resonable amount.

Froggie

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2007, 01:06 AM
That's right Darren it was priority air, Scroll had it within 4 days of it leaving my hands. I was doing a swap with Scroll so I am not complaining about the cost, as Scroll was up for freight too, to send me his stuff as well.

Just putting it up to give others an idea of cost as it was quite recent(less then 4wks). I wouldn't mind be on the receiving end of some blanks from overseas either, but as mobrien has said he would like to be the swappee for international if possible.

As you have said, I think it would be best to draw names out of the hat.

Would mind setting up a pen swap either too, where you make a pen for whatever partner you end up with.

schaf
30th April 2007, 07:30 AM
I would like to join the swap,thankyou.

lubbing5cherubs
30th April 2007, 09:27 AM
Scroll can you see how many blanks fit in a flat box and we will recipocate. Darren is right that what the pen shop does and I have done those swaps never ever costs that much. It always been fun
thanks Toni

Simomatra
30th April 2007, 09:36 AM
That's right Darren it was priority air, Scroll had it withing 4 days of it leaving my hands. I was doing a swap with Scroll so I am not complaining about the cost, as Scroll was up for freight too, to send me his stuff as well.

Just putting it up to give others an idea of cost as it was quite recent(less then 4wks). I wouldn't mind be on the receiving end of some blanks from overseas either, but as mobrien has said he would like to be the swappee for international if possible.

As you have said, I think it would be best to draw names out of the hat.

Would mind setting up a pen swap either too, where you make a pen for whatever partner you end up with.

It can be taken in turns for the person getting the international swap.

Also like your idea of the pen swap. Have not been involved but have watched the posts in TPS forum

soundman
30th April 2007, 10:54 AM
I was sort of expecting this to be a casual, person to person swap by the way toni was speaking.
Like bag for bag.
Rathere than a an regular mass swapping.

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
30th April 2007, 11:30 AM
yea I was thinking of a bag to bag swap. Just one person each. no mass postings. budget would not like that for me and I don't think I am alone
Toni

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2007, 12:24 PM
So are we going to draw names out of a hat to pair up 2 people for a straight swap or do you list what you have to offer and the first person to respond with a similar lot or value gets that lot.

We need to set some ground rules so that it is fair for everyone and is not to expensive to post out. I would suggest having a weight limit so they can fit in a 3kg Satchel which is $9.00 for locals and 2kg limit for International which is $65.00 for Priority Air which also includes a tracking number.

I have already worked out a list of timber which will have 5 blanks of 12 different species that has a value of approximately $150 and weights 2.7 kg to fit in a 3kg Satchel.

lubbing5cherubs
30th April 2007, 01:40 PM
yes we need a limit but DJ I doubt I have 3kg of wood though.:( so that would be far to much for me that is why I was suggesting placing a number on the blanks
Toni

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2007, 02:05 PM
In that case I would suggest using the 500gm Satchel which is $5.10 and on average will hold 7 to 10 blanks depending on species.

So that we know that we don't go over the 500gm weight limit how about we set it at 6 blanks and we set a date that everyone needs to respond by, then once that date is reached we draw 2 names out of a hat to pair for swapping blanks with.

lubbing5cherubs
30th April 2007, 03:30 PM
Ok 500g satchel the date I was thinking those of interest to sign up date closes the 30th may and 1st June you will know your partners and then sent out by the 14th of May
what you reckon as thoughts?
Toni

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2007, 03:41 PM
Sounds good & fair to me.