PDA

View Full Version : raised panel doors

Stevkin
29th July 2003, 12:20 AM
Does anybody make raised panel doors on a triton router table?
If so, which is a better method, using horizontal or vertical panel raising bits.

Thanks Stevkin

mikmaz1
29th July 2003, 12:41 AM
hi stevkin,
probably best and safest to go for the vertical bits, make sure you add a high fence when doing it (200>300mm fence) makes it much easier and safer. also dont take it all off in 1 go do the job in several passes.
horizontal bits need a lge opening in the table and router base, also you need a router which is speed rated so you can slow the bugger down!
seeyasoon mik.

Wayne Davy
29th July 2003, 12:45 AM
I totally agree with Mik however, just want to point out that you cannot do Cathedral style raised panel doors using a vertical bit (i.e. Curved top - or curved anywhere). If the raised panel is square (or at least all straight lines) - go for the Vertical bits.

Geoff Sims
29th July 2003, 01:24 AM
Stevekin

I have just finished a couple of Jarrah doors using a horizontal panel raising bit.

I also have a vertical bit, but it is somewhat limiting in that you cannot accomodate curved panels with the vertical bit.

I have used the horizontal bits a few times now and, contrary to the reservations often expressed in this forum about larger bits, I haven't had a problem at all.

In relation to Mikmaz's comment about the need for a large opening in the table and router base, what I did to accomodate the larger diameter bit was to make a false top for the table out of 10mm mdf. It has a large hole to accomodate the cutter, and I simply lower the cutter into the hole to set the correct height. The cutter remains above the table proper at all times.....Works for me!

By the way, I use a Triton router with the speed set at just above the number 2. (Pity they made them continuously variable. You never really know what speed you're running at. I guess your ear tells you when you've got it wrong.

Cheers

Oops. Forgot to mention that I don't use a Triton Router table. I built my own. The Triton table may be a bit of a worry, but I've never used one. Have to concede to other people's experiences there.

Stevkin
29th July 2003, 10:48 PM
I would like to do cathedral style doors so a horizontal cutter is the go. I only have a 1/4" GMC variable speed router and have only seen panel bits with 1/2" shanks. Are 1/4" shanks available or should I try extra hard to burn out the GMC so I have a good excuse for an update.

Cheers Stevkin

Wayne Davy
29th July 2003, 10:56 PM
Burn out the GMC (or put it away somewhere) and buy a Triton Router ;)

Even if they make a horizontal raised panel bit with a 1/4" shaft I would never, every use it!!!! To much torque on the shaft for that size bit. Metal and Carbide flying around is not good for you health and, worse, it will destroy the timber!

Tasman
30th July 2003, 12:01 AM
Hi Stecvin,I have made a seperate fence for the triton router table from chipboard and have a horizontal panel bit and an opening fairly large with a pvc pipe atatched to the side as to atatch the dust extractor on while routering and it works a real treat,never had a problem with it,i found pushing the material over the bench a lot more controlling than vertical and i am comfortable with the way it works for me......
Reguards Tasman........

Termite
30th July 2003, 02:53 PM
No problems with a Triton router. Keep the speed down under 10,000 rpm. There is a speed chart in the instruction manual.
When using very large bits, an accesory kit can be purchased from your local bearing supplier----- 2 large steel balls :rolleyes:
regards
Termite.