PDA

View Full Version : First goblet

Simomatra
29th April 2007, 05:43 PM
Well I finally got back to my turning lessons at the Ipswich woodworkers.

Lesson this week to turn a goblet

The timber is marked fruit wood but people are fairly certain it is apple. Have included a sawn piece with the bark still on if anyone knows different

Finished with shellawax and a coat of the instructors hard wax over the top

Off to top it up with the wine and try it out

Many thanks Jim

WillyInBris
29th April 2007, 05:54 PM
Looks good,
I have been using EEE then shellawax found comes up fantastic, but you would need to put it back on the lathe I think?

Neil th guy that makes the Shellawax and EEE the sponsor of the Forums told me at the show not to put any thing on top of shellawax as it will end up flaking off well I think thats what he told me?

WillyInBris
29th April 2007, 06:28 PM
OK I will correct myself just have been reading through the application documentation and it looks like you can use wax.

See http://www.ubeaut.com.au/swinfo.htm

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2007, 06:30 PM
Very nice, mate, that's an excellent piece. I can't help with the wood; it looks like fruity to me, but I need to see the bark and have a good sniff to distinguish between most fruitwoods. Even so, I'm forever confusing apple and pear. :-

Personally, for goblets that will be users I like to finish the outside with DO or Shellawax, but inside the bowl I'll simply EEE and coat with an epoxy; Rustin's Plastic Coating is my preference.

As I understand it, Shellawax is a shellac based product and most every time a goblet is used, it's for something containing alcohol, so...

Simomatra
29th April 2007, 06:47 PM
No worries Willie

Everything with me is learng curve just fluked it this time

Shew

Had the first couple of glasses of white out of it gave the missus a try and she said try hers and what would you believe it tastes better from the goblet :p :p . Definitely a better fro the goblet than glass better try and make some more:2tsup: :2tsup:

WillyInBris
29th April 2007, 06:49 PM
Hey just a question does a red taste better out wood goblet? Never drank out of one so thats the reason why maybe you could tell me, I thought they are just for decoration. :D

WillyInBris
29th April 2007, 06:53 PM
Can you read minds Sam? hahaha will have to make one myself and give it a go.

Skew do you get the same kind of finish with the Rustin's as I have never tried it?

Simomatra
29th April 2007, 06:55 PM
Hey just a question does a red taste better out wood goblet? Never drank out of one so thats the reason why maybe you could tell me, I thought they are just for decoration. :D

Not for decoration in this house Willie.:thewave:

Will try a red with tea and let you know tomorrow. I think that wood must have been one of the first drinking vessels ever used

tashammer
29th April 2007, 06:59 PM
good looking goblet with nice lines. does the base look too heavy compared to the stem and top? And will the red stain? tune in for more.:U

WillyInBris
29th April 2007, 07:22 PM
Will try a red with tea and let you know tomorrow. I think that wood must have been one of the first drinking vessels ever used

Its good to see that you are enjoying wine as well. :2tsup: Ill have to make one up next weekend and give it a try a amongst every other project I have going.

BernieP
29th April 2007, 07:37 PM
G'Day Jim

Very nice goblet, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th April 2007, 07:57 PM
Sam, one thing about Reds is that you'll soon know how well you've finished the inside. After a few uses, if the wood picks up a pinkish tinge... :D Not that there's anything wrong with that... nothing adds character to a piece more than signs which say "this piece is not just a Show Pony." :wink:

Skew do you get the same kind of finish with the Rustin's as I have never tried it?

Rustin's will give you a high gloss when properly applied. Much like CA. It can be toned down to a matte or satin with a burnishing cream, I like to use a touch of EEE.

I've found that it doesn't darken the wood as much as DO, probably because like most epoxies it doesn't penetrate deeply into the wood. However, you'd need an eagle eye to spot the difference between Rustin's on the inside of the goblet and Danish/Shellawax on the outside.

Of course, if you coat one half of a board with Rustins and t'other half with something else, then it becomes easy to pick the diff. True of any two different finishes, though. :shrug:

Simomatra
30th April 2007, 09:24 AM
good looking goblet with nice lines. does the base look too heavy compared to the stem and top? And will the red stain? tune in for more.:U

The red wine has lifted the finish but the wine still tastes good. The base has been slightly hollowed.

Simomatra
30th April 2007, 09:29 AM
Sam, one thing about Reds is that you'll soon know how well you've finished the inside. After a few uses, if the wood picks up a pinkish tinge... :D Not that there's anything wrong with that... nothing adds character to a piece more than signs which say "this piece is not just a Show Pony." :wink:

Rustin's will give you a high gloss when properly applied. Much like CA. It can be toned down to a matte or satin with a burnishing cream, I like to use a touch of EEE.

I've found that it doesn't darken the wood as much as DO, probably because like most epoxies it doesn't penetrate deeply into the wood. However, you'd need an eagle eye to spot the difference between Rustin's on the inside of the goblet and Danish/Shellawax on the outside.

Of course, if you coat one half of a board with Rustins and t'other half with something else, then it becomes easy to pick the diff. True of any two different finishes, though. :shrug:

Your correct there Skew i will weigh up if I want the natural finish inside or do the Rustin's thing.

Maybe Neil could be on a good thing a small drop of shellawax in a bottle of rough red and it makes it taste better

All in all a good goblet to drink out of:wink: :wink:

TTIT
30th April 2007, 09:48 AM
Top job Sam - especially for a turner-in-training - you should be very happy with it. Stick to Bourbon - it won't change the color :;

Hmmm - terrific turner in training turning trees into toothpicks - TTITTTIT :o

Tsk tsk!

Simomatra
30th April 2007, 09:51 AM
Top job Sam - especially for a turner-in-training - you should be very happy with it. Stick to Bourbon - it won't change the color :;

Hmmm - terrific turner in training turning trees into toothpicks - TTITTTIT :o

Tsk tsk!

Thanks Vern will have to give the bourbon a go just picked up a new brand the other day very mellow

Like the TTITTTIT explained:2tsup: