PDA

View Full Version : April Fruity Pen Swap

Touchwood
30th April 2007, 10:16 PM
Here are my April Fruity efforts ...

I thought the plum had so much nice grain it would be a pity to alter it .. so I used a nice kit to 'add' to it.

The cherry got "plum hugs and kisses" (EVERYONE knows that x's and o's are hugs and kisses!!!:D :D . I loved the irridescence coming through on this one.

looking forward to see everyone else's!

JD

Fireman sam
30th April 2007, 10:22 PM
Good looking pens . i have to start mine :2tsup:
Andrew

tashammer
1st May 2007, 08:34 AM
Good one JD, yes i really like the irridescence too, also the clean joins of the segments, very crisp.

Simomatra
1st May 2007, 09:11 AM
Very nice JD

Like your style. I had better get a move on as I still have mine to do. Been practicing on some scrap for the segmenting

Terry B
1st May 2007, 04:43 PM
Great pens. I've had a busy month and haven't started yet.

dai sensei
1st May 2007, 08:47 PM
Well done JD, glad to see someone made the deadline.

I've turned mine, just need to assemble and photograph them. I've been a bit busy collecting some Mango with Soundman and Teejay lately and still have another weekend to go. Hope I get time after work one night before I go to Melbourne to finish the pens.

Simomatra
2nd May 2007, 02:39 PM
Well I nearly made it on time.

The slim one (kit 1C) is pure plum and the larger one ( PRK-401) is the cherry with segments of river red gum, conkerberry and myrtle.

I have found out that segmenting takes time and cann't be rushed. Also accuarracy is of the highest importance. It was a big laerning curve as all these swaps are. Great Fun.

Now for the copper and timber.

Simomatra
2nd May 2007, 02:49 PM
Second attempt at the pictures

Will try for better pi's when my son comes tomorrow

dai sensei
2nd May 2007, 06:50 PM
I was about to say, try a different background, it's too busy.

Well done.

BernieP
2nd May 2007, 09:19 PM
G'Day JD and Sam

Nice pens, wish I could get mine to look like that:~ I'm not sure but think my cherry one has fallen off its tree will know better in the light of day. Anyway something should be finished by weeks end.

Cheers
Bernie

Simomatra
3rd May 2007, 12:33 PM
Sme better pictures

BernieP
3rd May 2007, 05:00 PM
G'Day All

Well I finished my April efforts, Slimline with blotch is cherry and certainly nothing to be proud of, Slimline on steriods is plum and after a bit of experimenting I am fairly pleased with.

Cheers
Bernie

Simomatra
3rd May 2007, 05:10 PM
Nicely done Bernie

The cherry one must have made you work, mine threw a bit right at the centre ring as I was just getting down to size The steroid one looks good

Al B
3rd May 2007, 08:53 PM
Great job on the pens guys. They have all turned out awsome. Well done:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd May 2007, 10:11 PM
Mine are done, but one was damaged by a fumble fingered floozy. "How do you get it open?" [tug, tug, tug, TWANG!] :oo:

Hopefully I'll have the time to fix it tomorrow, pix will ensue.

dai sensei
3rd May 2007, 10:54 PM
Here's mine. Typical, the one I left plain I thought was going to have the best grain, but the one I used with shims did. Shims are purpleheart and bonewood. I just cut the blanks on a curve and glued the 0.5m shim in whilst clamping in the vice. Once dried, cut and glued again, 4 times total. Perhaps an idea for next month?

Simomatra
4th May 2007, 09:01 AM
Great looking pens Neil.

I like the way you have done the inlay one. Now that I have the BS I will be able to play with this type of thing

Touchwood
4th May 2007, 05:09 PM
. Shims are purpleheart and bonewood. I just cut the blanks on a curve and glued the 0.5m shim in whilst clamping in the vice. Once dried, cut and glued again, 4 times total. Perhaps an idea for next month?

Very nice indeed ... did you steam the wood to assist bending? The shims I have cut (but not used) are .85 mm and I'm not convinced they'll bend without snapping, so have been hesident to try.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2007, 05:11 PM
So I fixed the pen (you can see the stuff-up in the lower-barrel of one) and dropped in to post the pix. Finally looked at the other pix, which I generally avoid until I finish my own, whenI realised there is something else wrong here... I thought the wood on my bamboo pen was distinctly "non-fruity." Ran out to the shed, checked around the lathe, moved a bit of sandpaper and... there were DJ's blanks, still in the pkging. :-

Errmm... Oops? :rolleyes:

So I'll turn those blanks later this week, in the meantime these pens can be the temporary stand-ins. [sigh] FWIW, both kits are std. 7mm slimlines, I'm just going through an experimental phase where I'm not using the std. centre-bands; I'm also toying with making custom finials but not on these two. Danish Oil finish, for a change, and the woods are unidentified. (I thought I knew but obviously I didn't. :rolleyes:) At a guess I'd say a plum and olive.

Simomatra
4th May 2007, 06:00 PM
Well at least you still stayed with the fruit theme

The bamboo one is very unusual. Not sure if I like the shape of the other one or not.

I blew a couple yesterday so guess I am in the same boat as yourself:doh:

dai sensei
4th May 2007, 10:14 PM
Very nice indeed ... did you steam the wood to assist bending? The shims I have cut (but not used) are .85 mm and I'm not convinced they'll bend without snapping, so have been hesident to try.

JD

No steam, just glued with good PVA and glamped. They were gentle curves though, done on the scroll saw.

How many shims have you got, you could always try dry assembly and as long as they don't crack, your Ok. If they crack, use another shim and steam perhaps.

Skew - interesting bamboo shaped olive. The other's short lower segment looks, how can I say it, short :U

You lost a set of blanks from another month didn't you, are they from that?

BernieP
4th May 2007, 11:10 PM
G'Day Neil

Great looking pens, can imagine what mine would look like after trying the butterfly:B

G'Day Sam you had cherry fights too eh!

Cheers
Bernie

tashammer
5th May 2007, 08:32 AM
Skew

I rather like both of them, but especially the bandless shortened fore barrel one. i notice that the faux boo one looks like you have placed the ring in a really good spot for holding the pen.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th May 2007, 08:26 PM
Skew - interesting bamboo shaped olive. The other's short lower segment looks, how can I say it, short :U

Yup. But the upper barrel is... how can I say it... that much longer. :D

You lost a set of blanks from another month didn't you, are they from that?

Hmmm... good thinking; maybe I'm just very late for that one? I'll have to go back through the threads and see which swap & what timbers they were.