PDA

View Full Version : turner wanted

mongrell
1st May 2007, 09:20 PM
seeing willys thread reminded me that ive allways wanted a set of salt and pepper mills , the big ones ive seen in galleries about a foot high , ill supply the wood maybe huon for the salt one and blackheart sass for the pepper if ive got some big enough .will pay if anyone is wiilling to do the job ?

TTIT
1st May 2007, 11:17 PM
If you can't find anyone close by to make 'em Tom, bring the wood with you next trip and I'll have a go at it while you're finding your fortune on the Gemmies! :2tsup: (Keeping in mind I've never even used a mill let alone made one! :- )

Sir Stinkalot
1st May 2007, 11:24 PM
I would love to but as much as I like the pepper mill that I made when I use it ..... I wouldn't want to subject it on others :)

rsser
2nd May 2007, 09:47 PM
Think the Huon smell would taint the salt don't you?

BH sassy could look spekky.

WillyInBris
2nd May 2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Mong,

Well I haven't made one yet as you are aware but will be making quite a few in the next couple of months so when I get my designs right If you haven't had any takers I am sure we can work something out.

I am going to do a couple of trial runs over the next two weeks just on some cheap pine until I work the grind of it out.

Willy

DJ’s Timber
2nd May 2007, 10:06 PM
Hey Willy grab some plain hardwood for this, pine will clog up the forstner and will give you a better run

reeves
3rd May 2007, 01:13 AM
yeah goods points DJS, radiata is crap to bore into, best grab some fallen hardwoods, plenty of bluegum around for test turnings, silky oak is good and plentiful, bores really well..
drop in to exadors wood lab in archerfield, brecknock street....hes got heaps

Mong the local turners out in Gippsland way are probably yr best bet check out their site and yeah the Huon could scent the pepper best seal the inside heavily...

have fun

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd May 2007, 01:37 AM
Any takers yet, Mong?

Do you especially want large capacity (ie. bored all the way through) as used in a restaurant or would you be happy with, say, only the bottom 6"-8" being functional and a nice, long top to give it the rest of the length? (Which is where a Crushgrind mechanism comes into it's own. :wink:)

Got any particular shape in mind?

Oh... I'd scotch the idea of using Huon if I were you. The smell aside, the natural oils set salt rock hard fairly quickly. Even if you seal the inside bore with a PolyU, rock salt is an aggressive abrasive and will wear it away in short order. DAMHIKT. :-

mongrell
3rd May 2007, 06:34 PM
no takers yet skew must be all rich turners on here .dont care bout the capacity as i dont eat salt any more but love my pepper ,more of an ornament actually desighn doesnt worry me either ill have to think of somethin other than huon then., by the time i make up my mind willy may be in production

DJ’s Timber
3rd May 2007, 06:47 PM
I would offer to help you out but after cutting my thumb and with a few other commitments on the go, it could be 6 to 8 weeks before I could do it.

If no one else or Willy is not ready to go by then, I am quite happy to do them then

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd May 2007, 10:03 PM
I'm in the same boat as DJ, I'd put my hand up but the timing is wrong.

Pity... I can always do with more of the folding stuff to feed my turning addiction. :wink:

reeves
4th May 2007, 12:08 AM
the latrobe valley woodworking club is here

http://www.latrobe.vic.gov.au/Events/Calendar/EventDetails/?EventID=5222

or contact Ray Sanders at Beantree crafts a pro woodturner down that way, hes in Loch south Gippsland so not far from Lakes Entrance.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/beenatree.htm

good luck

WillyInBris
4th May 2007, 07:21 PM
yeah goods points DJS, radiata is crap to bore into, best grab some fallen hardwoods, plenty of bluegum around for test turnings, silky oak is good and plentiful, bores really well..
drop in to exadors wood lab in archerfield, brecknock street....hes got heaps
have fun

Hey Reeves,

Are Exadors open on Saturdays did a bit of a search on the net but couldn't turn up any information on them I am heading that way in the morning but really need a firm address as I am on a bit of a time limit tomorrow :((.

WillyInBris
4th May 2007, 07:26 PM
Sorry mong hijacking your thread a bit :wink:, I really want to get moving on the designs and start turning some out in about two weeks or sooner.

rsser
4th May 2007, 07:35 PM
For domestic use, after the first three or four reaches, folk no longer see what we poor turners slave over, so IMHO there's no need to fuss too much over timber or form.

(OK, yes, if it's on YOUR table of course fuss. I do.)

Edit: Wot? Phallic?? Well go stick it up your .... er... wooops.

It's a frikkin minefield out there. Best lock yourself up in your shed folks.

WillyInBris
4th May 2007, 08:42 PM
For domestic use, after the first three or four reaches, folk no longer see what we poor turners slave over, so IMHO there's no need to fuss too much over timber or form.

(OK, yes, if it's on YOUR table of course fuss. I do.)

Edit: Wot? Phallic?? Well go stick it up your .... er... wooops.

It's a frikkin minefield out there. Best lock yourself up in your shed folks.

Thats if its small enough to fit in the cupboard and as for design and wood if it doesn't look good then it deserves to be in the cupboard and I mose well just gone to Ikea and brought some to send for family fro Xmas (I don't think so) :U .

As for Phallic, I already have one piece sitting on the coffee table that looks well how should I say well hung thats why I need to work on the design part, I find it the fun part and making 7 sets If I do it right I should be able to turn them out in quick time..

rsser
4th May 2007, 08:53 PM
LOL. Fair call Willy.

If it were me doing another one, frankly, I'd wander down to a good kitchen supplies place and shell out the 45 AUD for a Peugeot made out of beech. Cheaper and better all round, and I've made a few.