PDA

View Full Version : Router Collet Conversion

Ronin
30th July 2003, 06:10 PM
I own a 1 1/2 HP Craftsman router a 1/4" collet. I'd like to use bits with 1/2" shanks.

Is the a collet adapter or conversion kit that will allow me to use 1/2" shank bits on a router with a 1/4" collet?

Thanks in advance for your input.

kenmil
30th July 2003, 06:33 PM
I am by no means an expert on routers, but I think collet converters, for want of a better name, are usually step-down, rather than step-up. That is to say a 1/2" router can be stepped down to 1/4" but a 1/4" cannot be stepped up to 1/2". This is simply because a 1/2" router bit will not fit in a 1/4" collet, but a 1/4" router bit can fit into a 1/2" collet with a little packing, to wit, the aforementioned converter.

John Saxton
30th July 2003, 08:57 PM
Ronin,there isn't a means of running 1/2 " bit thru an adapting collett from a 1/4" router that I'm aware of in this country.
I guess primarily on the basis of HP requirement necessary to give throw/torque to a 1/2" bit to necessitate an appropriate clean cut.
Half inch colletted routers are now quite cheap here and everyone is bringing them in under all manner of brand names ,consequently the average bloke here probably has one of each now.

Some router manufacturers offer up a router with 1/4",3/8",and 1/2" but its getting rare these days but the 3/8" bits give more strength and resistance to flexing over the 1/4".
Sorry cant give a positive to your question!
Cheers:)

draygin
29th July 2006, 07:44 AM
I own a 1 1/2 HP Craftsman router a 1/4" collet. I'd like to use bits with 1/2" shanks.

Is the a collet adapter or conversion kit that will allow me to use 1/2" shank bits on a router with a 1/4" collet?

Thanks in advance for your input.

#
#
#
Actually I was looking for such an item today myself. Craftsman sells a conversion collet through sears. It runs about $30. Good luck.:D

BobL
29th July 2006, 09:47 AM
I would be very wary of using any 1/4" to 1/2" adapter. To achieve this, some sort of extension device will be needed, which will place significant additional side loading on the bearings (which remember were designed for 1/4" cutters). Recently I purchase a 1/2" to 1/2" extension (to get more cutting depth when using a router mounted on a cast iron router table) and I've been advise not to run this at full speed if I want my bearings to last.