PDA

View Full Version : International symbol????

TTIT
4th May 2007, 02:09 PM
So I've googled and searched all over and I still can't find an instantly recognizable symbol for a wood turner!:no: Lawyers have their 'scales of justice', doctors have their 'serpents and sword', but what the hell have we got? Zilch! :C I want to put something up on the gable of my carport that shows a woodturner is lurking within but can't come up with a thing.
Any ideas guy's? (and NO, I'm not going to stick the Stubby up there!!!)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2007, 03:12 PM
Really, now!

Doesn't every turner know that the Turner's arms are per bend sinister, blazoned with a spindle rampant gules on dexter sable, three bent skew chisels argent on sinister gules, and divided by a reguly line azure?

Such a simple thing to remember. :rolleyes: :p :D

TTIT
4th May 2007, 03:17 PM
....and in English that's ......... :confuzzled:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2007, 03:24 PM
...a load of hogwash. :D

But what I described is a shield divided diagonally from top left corner to bottom right quadrant, with a vertical spindle in red on a black background to the left, 3 broken skew chisels in white on a red background to the right and a blue dividing line along the diagonal that sorta looks likes a double-sided bandsaw rip blade. (Denoting hardships in life.)

A true heraldry freak'd consider it an "unbalanced" coat of arms with too many tinctures... but that's a perfect description of most turners anyway, neh? :wink:

TTIT
4th May 2007, 03:41 PM
....... double-sided bandsaw rip blade. ......................................... with too many tinctures...
So tinctures hurt then eh?!?!:o

Wayne Blanch
4th May 2007, 05:26 PM
...a load of hogwash. :D

But what I described is a shield divided diagonally from top left corner to bottom right quadrant, with a vertical spindle in red on a black background to the left, 3 broken skew chisels in white on a red background to the right and a blue dividing line along the diagonal that sorta looks likes a double-sided bandsaw rip blade. (Denoting hardships in life.)

A true heraldry freak'd consider it an "unbalanced" coat of arms with too many tinctures... but that's a perfect description of most turners anyway, neh? :wink:

Shouldn't the wood turners traditional injuries be represented as well - perhaps a broken finger or two, and maybe a skull with a lump of timber protruding from the forehead?:o:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2007, 05:35 PM
:D

That's be represented in the crest & supporters, rather than the arms themselves. (The arms are the shield, the crest the bit that sits on top, eg. a crown, lion's head, eagle, etc. and the supporters are to each side: eg. a pair of griffons or an ostricj and a roo. :wink:)

For a crest... Hmmm... a knight's helm with an arrow in the eye (just call me 'arold) and a pair of stretcher bearers as supporters?

tashammer
4th May 2007, 05:40 PM
don't forget the motto.

but it is quite a simple blazon compared to some of them when you think about every time someone got married they blended and kept doing so. The poor bloody herald must have gone bog-eyed trying to read it for his lord and master.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2007, 05:52 PM
Motto?

Virtute et valare luceo non uro. (By virtue and valour I shine, but do not burn)

Twinnie
4th May 2007, 07:04 PM
don't forget the motto.

but it is quite a simple blazon compared to some of them when you think about every time someone got married they blended and kept doing so. The poor bloody herald must have gone bog-eyed trying to read it for his lord and master.

"carpe lignem turne lignem"? the spelling is probly out.

as for the coat of arms it must be round!

Matt

rsser
4th May 2007, 07:13 PM
Figure I'm surrounded by learned gents here.

I bow before the 'Skew'ed arms (and fingers).

'Spect you have and deserve rabbit fur on your gowns.

ozwinner
4th May 2007, 08:10 PM
Figure I'm surrounded by learned gents here.

I bow before the 'Skew'ed arms (and fingers).

'Spect you have and deserve rabbit fur on your gowns.

And on his shoes..

Al :p

bookend
4th May 2007, 11:31 PM
How about this for a motto?
Inter spem et metum - Between hope and fear

Goodness knows, Ive been there enough:D

Another goodie could be
disce pati - Learn to endure:rolleyes:

fred.n
4th May 2007, 11:52 PM
So I've googled and searched all over and I still can't find an instantly recognizable symbol for a wood turner!:no:

Had some trouble with the young neighbours early last year.
went over and asked them if they could keep it down as
an old crusty like me needs his beauty sleep (and do I need it) :D
they basically said..... #*&% off!! :~

I let that ride for an hour or so, but in the end ,had to go out
and show them my smallish bat that I turned on the lathe :o

No more trouble...:U maybe crossed bats in the coat of arms??:)

lubbing5cherubs
5th May 2007, 12:38 AM
I got the perfect symbol.
A man standing with empty pockets but a great smile on the face.

That a common thing
Isn't it
Toni

Gil Jones
5th May 2007, 02:18 AM
Put this one above the shed/garage door.:U

Iain
5th May 2007, 08:13 AM
I thought the script should read 'l'OH maledice'

rsser
5th May 2007, 01:56 PM
I got the perfect symbol.
A man standing with empty pockets but a great smile on the face.

That a common thing
Isn't it
Toni

LOL.

No, pockets full of shavings.

lubbing5cherubs
5th May 2007, 09:38 PM
Yep pocket full of shavings and an anorexic wallet. But happy so what more could you ask for hey?

TTIT
5th May 2007, 11:51 PM
I like that one Bookend! Very fitting :;

A man standing with empty pockets but a great smile on the face. But that would leave the ladies of Winton out - couldn't have that!!!

That's be represented in the crest & supporters, rather than the arms themselves. (The arms are the shield, the crest the bit that sits on top, eg. a crown, lion's head, eagle, etc. and the supporters are to each side: eg. a pair of griffons or an ostricj and a roo. :wink:)
For a crest... Hmmm... a knight's helm with an arrow in the eye (just call me 'arold) and a pair of stretcher bearers as supporters?I think you need to draw this up for us Skew (gentle hint!!!!):;

lubbing5cherubs
5th May 2007, 11:53 PM
Well the skinny wallet and the pockets of saw dust does not effect any gender. LOL
Toni

Frank&Earnest
6th May 2007, 12:00 AM
Well, well, well, what do you know, just scratch the surface and the Pommy snobs come out of the Ocker crust!:U I am impressed by the depth of thought shown here, particularly by the choice of the bend sinister, which indicates, quite appropriately, that we are mainly, but not necessarily, all bastards!:2tsup:

Please allow me a bit of editing:

Crest
"Party per bend sinister indented Azure, dexter Sable on a spindle rampant Gules , sinister Gules on three erased skew chisels Proper"

Motto:
Inter spem et metum, carpe et torna lignum!
(nice spondee exameter, by the way)

Now you just need to apply to the Earl Marshal! :D

Cheers
Frank

kekemo
6th May 2007, 12:20 AM
How about a-round-TUIT.....sure the Misses would agree with that one...kind of universal to all woodturners & woodworkers...
come to think about it, don't know if I would get around to putin' it on my roof either...LOL
I'm thinking of putting a sign outside my house saying 'Help, Wanted someone to make me laugh, make me happy, make my lunch...while I make wood dust!'
This forum doesn't even have a listing for possible matches.....can't quite fathom it, .... two type of guys out there......one lot just want to play around ....and NOT with wood, those I will pass on, the others just want to play around with WOOD, & they just pass on me.....LOL...
Guess what, the sense of humour is coming back, must be the smell of that glue.....
Have a great day everyone....keep smiling...Aussie girl....regards Kekemo...

TTIT
6th May 2007, 12:56 AM
.......... 'Help, Wanted someone to make me laugh, make me happy, make my lunch...while I make wood dust!'
Oh crap! :~ - now someones pinched me sign too!!!! :;

rodent
6th May 2007, 02:16 AM
na skew wears sheep on his feet they don't run as fast .Lets try around shield with a vertical log in the center with a skew chisel crossing diagonaly one way and a hook tool going the other ?you draw it skew i cant:C

Wild Dingo
6th May 2007, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by bookend

LOVE IT!!! Exactly so right on the money never a truer motto made up on the fly!! BRILLIANT!! :2tsup:

Its got to be generally simple easy to reproduce and clear in its meaning

So far Ive got the motto...

I think the stretcher bearers as the side kicks have potential...

I think definantly crossed chisels skew an whats that other one the long goose neck thing? anyway have them crossed over a nova chuck... so thats one quadrant of the sheild down

But for the rest?

(Time is all Kerry take your time relax and start to live life again make any changes YOU feel you need to and get out and about a bit dont rush anything)

Cheers
moi :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th May 2007, 03:13 AM
I think you need to draw this up for us Skew (gentle hint!!!!):;

I made a start on one... but I've been reading and there's a few things I'll have to change. Round shield for a start, change the gouges to crossed skew &... something, perhaps change the knights helm to a Triton respirator...

Basically redo from line 0. :p

Edit: Buggrit, I shrank it too far and lost detail. Worse, it was saved over the original. :- Well... I said I wanted to start over. :rolleyes:

tashammer
6th May 2007, 11:18 AM
and with Essendon's colours too.

Frank&Earnest
6th May 2007, 01:00 PM
...or Milan F.C.
Way to go! :2tsup: It's not as described before, though....

Wild Dingo
6th May 2007, 02:03 PM
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh for gawds sake mate change the colors!!! :o

Red = blood
Black = death
green = hospital
Helmet = surgeon
chisels on red backgound = scalpels bathed in blood
chalace on black = last rites and the sacriment

CHANGE THE COLORS!!!!

gawd skewy one please change the colors... or Im gonna sell the lathe!! to much bad mojo there mate :C

tashammer
6th May 2007, 02:44 PM
does maryjane grow to tree size and can it be turned into bowls or spindle work? Can the dust be inhaled and is anyone inhaling it?:D:badair::hahaha::burnt:

rsser
6th May 2007, 02:58 PM
LOL.

That would be some monster weed.

Seen it over head height in Nepal ('I didn't inhale officer; just kindof rubbed up against it') but no, not turning dimensions.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th May 2007, 04:24 PM
Helmet = surgeon

:? Mate, if I were you I'd change hossies... or didn't the op staff wear helmets until the second time you turned up? :D

johnw1
9th May 2007, 12:04 PM
does maryjane grow to tree size and can it be turned into bowls or spindle work? Can the dust be inhaled and is anyone inhaling it?:D:badair::hahaha::burnt:

Is this some sort of relative to Salvationjane or something? I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Pleeese explain.

John

tashammer
9th May 2007, 01:42 PM
what sort of bush plants grow around your way Wild Dingo and have you noticed roo sort of falling over and giggling after eating the stuff and did you try it too? he asked most curiously:p:rolleyes:

cedar n silky
9th May 2007, 10:27 PM
Is this some sort of relative to Salvationjane or something? I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Pleeese explain.

John
We just had the "Mardi Grass" up here last weekend, and I did see a rather large "stalk" that probably could have been turned, but I hear it is pretty fibrous. Not that I would know!!:B
Any how apparantly it is far more lucrative to sell the top part of the plant rather than to frig around and bother turning anything from the trunk!:no: Oh and it makes you really forgetfull apparantly!
"Cannabis Sativa" is the plant I beleive, not that I would know:no: :doh: .
Don't recomend it to woodturnes, it's bad for your lungs- Bob Marley died from lung cancer! Oh and it makes you really forgetful, not that I would know!:D