PDA

View Full Version : Skewing Around <- Video

Stu in Tokyo
6th May 2007, 01:45 AM
Got some time to kill......... :;

Skewing Around (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaXHicDbBE)<- YouTube Linky

Here is a video that shows you how NOT to use your skew.....

Constructive criticism welcome, "YOU SUCK" not needed, as I KNOW that already......

Yep, trying to get a handle on the the mighty skew!

Cheers!

Wood Butcher
6th May 2007, 09:12 AM
Really enjoyable to watch Stu. I am in no position to criticise but just want to know what the timber is??

tashammer
6th May 2007, 11:06 AM
Skew chisels are nice aren't they? Do you see why you were getting an egg shape?

i went on to da Ball, Parts I & II. Now there are some holding breath and clenching moments.

Thanks for taking the risks and sharing, i appreciate that lots Stu.

Tom

WillyInBris
6th May 2007, 06:27 PM
Yep thanks for that Stu much appreciated mate.

Well done mate.

Stu in Tokyo
7th May 2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks guys!

The wood is Ginko, it is fairly soft, but it was free, so what the heck, good to learn on!

I did find out, from some feedback I got on another site, that my skew was ground a bit long, so I shortened it a touch, WAY easier to control!

Cheers!

RETIRED
7th May 2007, 08:38 AM
Increasing speed of the lathe will help too.

Dr.Zook
7th May 2007, 03:06 PM
Stu, did you ever think about getting a answering machine?:U I'm sure they have them in Japan.:q I know they have them in China cause that's where mine is from.:;
I like your vids, especially the ones on "da ball". Keep up the great work Stu.

rsser
7th May 2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks Stu. Appreciate your posts.

Good call about the length of the bevel.

Can't see why rounding over the arris should cause you cutting problems though.

And it seems to me looking at Vid 1 that your catch was a result of starting at or close to the heel.

Other stuff ... I empty out the shavings more often than you did with this one; always found all other things equal that this solves problems.

And marking for remount is indeed a good idea, although you're marking the jaw position, not the chuck.

Your bouncing ball looks like a worthwhile investment.

thostorey
7th May 2007, 05:02 PM
"ground a bit long" I don't do angles well but does that mean a more blunt wedge or a longer wedge? Thanks, Tom

ss_11000
7th May 2007, 06:13 PM
good video stu:2tsup: good to see ww vids on utube

cheers

Stu in Tokyo
7th May 2007, 08:02 PM
"ground a bit long" I don't do angles well but does that mean a more blunt wedge or a longer wedge? Thanks, Tom
Too long means the wedge was too long, I made it blunter :D

rsser
7th May 2007, 08:03 PM

Tom,

sounds like Stu's was a bit long.

Rule of thumb: bevel length should be about 1.5 times the thickness of the skew.

(There's a beach in BC?)