PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Red Gum

BI
7th August 2000, 03:21 PM
I've just finished a red gum table for a friend and have seen some previous posts on finishing but can anybody point me in the right direction for a step by step guide. The owners want a matt finish so I was planning on using a 50% gloss polyurethane. How many coats should I give it, what should I rub it with between coats, do I leave the final coat untouched or rub that down as well? I have all the spray gear to do the job and as this is for somebody else I want to make sure I get the best finish possible (short of getting somebody else to do it for me).

Shane Watson
7th August 2000, 04:52 PM
50% Gloss is not Matt. It is closer to semi-gloss. Matt is classed at around 30% gloss.
You won't want to put to many coats on. It could get to hot http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Seriously though. You may want to first apply a sanding sealer to help fill the grain. Then two or three good coats after that should be enough. Sanding between each coat. Probably with at least 400g paper. I actually sometimes use 240g, but I have my reasons http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif Your final coat should be fine to leave as is, if you get a good enough 'off the gun finish' Dust will be your biggest enemy. If your spraying near where you sanded make sure you leave heaps of time between sanding and spraying to let the dust settle. A good tip here is to use your hose and wet the area down. But thats not always conveniant.

Don't forget to coat the underside of the top as well. And not just one light coat either. Probably about the same amount as you put on the top.

I don't have much experience with red gum, so someone else may have better advice...

But HTH

Cheers

Shane......

------------------
Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

RFNK
8th August 2000, 10:55 PM
I'll bet if the owners want a `matt' finish they really mean they want a sort of flat, oiled finish. This is what I'd do... finish it with sanding sealer and sand it with 400 or so (depending upon how well you've already sanded it. Then rub in some satin polyurethane, without leaving ANY pooled or shiny bits. It should look dry when you've finished rubbing it in. When dry, wipe it down with very fine paper (800 or so). Then rub in another coat, wipe it down with fine paper again and rub in a final coat. Wax or polish it to really lift it when finished.

knuckles
9th August 2000, 01:26 AM
I Hope yous are wearin gloves when rubbin this polyurestuff in because I'm thinking that yez will find that it is a bit on the very toxic side and not at all good for your healt.

Us wise guys would never risk our healt by coming in to contact with something as toxic as this stuff.

Knuckles