PDA

View Full Version : Turning PurpleHeart

wolfman99
10th May 2007, 09:16 PM
I turned my first piece of Purple Heart (bottle stopper) last evening and had a question about the finishing of it.

I noticed that after the turning was finished, the purple color was not really visible. I finished the stopper with Mylands Friction Polish (4 -5 coats) and noticed that the purple color was not even visible, it was more of a walnut color. the finished product does not even look like Purple Heart, which is sort of a waste.

Can anybody help me determine what I can do to the wood to make the purple color stand out more?

Thanks,
Wayne.

DJ’s Timber
10th May 2007, 09:27 PM
You need to expose the timber to UV light to bring the purple back out. I normally leave my bits on the window sill and don't forget to turn it over

wolfman99
10th May 2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks DJ, once the rain stops here I will try that.

Should it be put in the sun before or after finishing?

DJ’s Timber
10th May 2007, 10:01 PM
Probably better to do it before finishing as the finish you use may have UV inhibitors in it

chrisb691
10th May 2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks DJ, once the rain stops here I will try that.

Should it be put in the sun before or after finishing?

You don't have to have bright sunsight, as long as it get daylight it will turn purple. It's just that the less light there is, the longer it takes. Don't wait for the weather to get better, just leave near a window that gets as much light as there is.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th May 2007, 12:37 AM
Also, be aware that it will turn dark brown if over-heated... like getting too enthusiastic while applying a friction finish.

This won't stop it from purpling with UV exposure, but it will mean it's a "muddier" colour.

Touchwood
11th May 2007, 05:59 PM
I like to hang my objects when possible as it tends to allow more even light - I am lucky to have adjoining windows (90 degree of window glass) on a northerly aspect and live in sunny ol' west aust.

The results in UV are incredible!
JD

TTIT
13th May 2007, 11:27 PM
That explains it :doh::doh::doh: !!!! :- I thought it was oxidisation and couldn't figure why the sample egg didn't brighten up as much as the spigot it was parted from!! Egg sitting on bench (shady end of shed) spigot sitting on tablesaw top (under skylight). Wakey, wakey ya boofhead!!! :-:-:-

Mobil Man
14th May 2007, 01:13 AM
It WILL turn even in the house on a shelf that never gets direct sunlight--just takes a little longer. Purpleheare--funny stuff. Figure this one out. I cut & drilled blanks for 3 kits. Turned one to finishing point & put it in direct sun all day. Took for ever to turn, yet the other two laying on the bench with just the light from 4 skylights turned bright purple in a couple of days. First pen of P/H I turned I gave my brother. Two months later it was just a brown chunk of wood yet the one my Granddaughter had was purple. ????? HA. He carries it in his pocket every day, hers is laying in her bedroom most of the time. Solution. Cut a hole in the pocket.:D

OGYT
14th May 2007, 03:50 AM
Didn't know all this info before. I guess it's like tryin' to get the yellow to go out of Bois d'Arc. Just lay it where light will hit it. Forget it for a while.
Hope it turns out purple for ya, Wayne!