PDA

View Full Version : intro

spring
11th May 2007, 08:29 PM
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking here for about a year, thought it was about time to dip the toe in.

I only started working with wood about 2 years ago, although the interest has been there since high school.( many,many years ago) I started with carving but found I was too clumsy with knives and gouges, I gave myself some very nasty cuts.

I then discovered the scroll saw and never looked back, I absolutely love this tool and what you can produce with it. I started with a cheap saw from Aldi to see if I enjoyed it, which I did, then at last years working with wood show I invested in a Hegner. A beautiful tool.:U

As a beginner I'm still only producing very simple work. I hope to progress onto some of those beautiful big clocks over at Wildwood.

I'm currently working on the most advanced (for me) pattern I've ever tried, The Black Forest Clock from the book The Art Of The Scroll Saw. :oo:

Where do I post photos of my work, in the photo gallery or scrollers forum?

I've attached a photo of my carving and one of my scroll saw efforts.

Wood Borer
11th May 2007, 08:39 PM
Nice work Spring.:2tsup:

Welcome to the Bulletin Board.

lubbing5cherubs
11th May 2007, 08:58 PM
very nice
Toni

ozwinner
11th May 2007, 09:07 PM
Where do I post photos of my work, in the photo gallery or scrollers forum?

Just put the photos where they fit in to the category of the work you are doing, most people do a "new posts" search so will see them.

12 months lurking? :o

What took you so long?

Al :U

watson
11th May 2007, 09:40 PM
Welcome spring.....(says he just heading into winter)
Nice scrolling..the King never looked better

ozwinner
11th May 2007, 09:42 PM
Welcome spring.....(says he just heading into winter)
Nice scrolling..the King never looked better

And heres me thinking its Elvis. :doh:

Al :U

watson
11th May 2007, 09:51 PM
:wink: Smirk!! No its Buddy without his glasses!

Well done Spring!

David L
12th May 2007, 06:05 PM
Welcome spring, nice work.

fred.n
12th May 2007, 06:34 PM
Welcome Spring
nice work, keep the pics comming :2tsup:

spring
12th May 2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone :B

ozwinner, plain old shyness and fear of internet forums is why it took so long I think

Robynb
13th May 2007, 12:50 AM
Welcome Spring,
Beautiful work.

RufflyRustic
13th May 2007, 09:38 AM
Hi Spring

Welcome to the best woodworking forum around.:)

I'm glad you've posted some pictures of your work. I love the shape you've used highlight Elvis' face:)

We have some talented scrollwork artists here and now you, another artist :2tsup: .

Just out of interest, what got your interest started in woodwork all those few years ago?

cheers
Wendy

spring
13th May 2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks Robynb.:)

Wendy, I can take no credit for the shape of Elvis's face, I used a pattern from a book. I also think it's a nice shape.

I think the interest started because I was given a raw piece of wood in school and was able to turn it into something recognizable and useful, and I really enjoyed the whole process from the first cut to the lacquer.

I'm extremely grateful for those compulsory woodwork classes in year 7 as I didn't have any exposure to woodwork at home and don't know if I would have picked up a bit of sandpaper without that classroom exposure.

Thanks for the welcome.

kekemo
21st May 2007, 01:11 AM
Really nice to see your work, thanks for taking the time and joining in. It's so nice to meet others and see what they are achieving, your work in lovely.... I chat to some lovely scrollers in America....BJ Holms is a pattern designer...& writes for many magazines...I do not scroll, though I make furniture....but love wood....& woodworking of any type....I really want to scroll but after using the machine I have, decided until I upgrade & get a quick release I will do other stuff, but will eventually have to scroll for a unit I want to make that has fret work involved in it. Enjoy your scrolling & welcome to the message makers guild............LOL its great getting both feet wet....don't just tip toe around here, jump up & down and thud your way around or we wont all hear you! Welcome in, regards Kerry alias KEKEMO

spring
23rd May 2007, 11:41 AM
What a lovely welcome, thanks kekemo :B

s_m
23rd May 2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Spring! I've never looked at scrollsaw jobs much and yours is just great. Lovely timber too!

Steph

spring
29th May 2007, 11:07 PM
Hi Steph, thanks for the compliment and for looking at my work :U.
I'll be posting some more pics soon in the scrollers forum if you'd like to see more scrolling work. (nothing elaborate, just more basic learning stuff)