PDA

View Full Version : nutmeg mill insert

woodwork wally
14th May 2007, 09:32 PM
Hi can anyone please tell me where I can buy the mill insert for a nutmeg grinder . These are not the same as a pepper mill as the nutmeg ball is fed in by removing the grinding plate . When the plate is put on it pushes the nut against a spring loaded plate :wink: which ensures that it is rotated against the grind plate .I am not sure if a coffe mill would handle it either and do not know where to go for that either. I want to make matching nutmeg and coffee grinders:2tsup: thanks in advancefor any help Wally

The Toys cost more and the firewood is fancier:B

OGYT
15th May 2007, 12:15 PM
Don't know nothin', Wally, but I'll be watching this thread.
Never heard of a nutmeg grinder.... Hope someone else will chime in here.

Big Shed
15th May 2007, 12:24 PM
This has been nagging me since you put the question. I'm sure I saw an article on how to make a nutmeg grinder, Woodturning magazine?

Anyway, my natural curiosity got the better of me and I Googled.

Couldn't find anything in Oz, but found this in the UK:

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Nutmeg_Grinder.html

So, I can go back to sleep now:rolleyes:

WillyInBris
15th May 2007, 05:15 PM
My mother had something like that when I was a kid, have no idea where she brought it but nothing is as good as freshly ground nutmeg thats for sure.

I remember OD'ing on it back then, but would love to get my hands on a kit as well.

WillyInBris
15th May 2007, 05:26 PM
OK found this link (http://www.janik.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/PM104%7C%7Cnutmeg~@c~@b%7C0%7Cuser%7C1,0,0,1%7C1%7C) a bit on the rich side I think it works out at about $20 a bit rich If you ask me.

Anyway will send an email off to CWS see what Jim thinks. :cool:

woodwork wally
17th May 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks Willy Will wait till you hear more from cws but $20.00 plus post would probably still win some points and thanks to big shed for your help It would seem tht the going rate will be about the same from both thanks folks for your help Wally:2tsup:

keeping the cost of sawdust and firewood under control:C

Big Shed
17th May 2007, 09:28 PM
No worries Wally, Google is my friend:D

WillyInBris
17th May 2007, 09:42 PM
Jim from CWS sent me an email today, whilst he doesn't have any he will see if he can find a supplier.

Will

woodwork wally
16th August 2007, 09:36 PM
This has been nagging me since you put the question. I'm sure I saw an article on how to make a nutmeg grinder, Woodturning magazine?

Anyway, my natural curiosity got the better of me and I Googled.

Couldn't find anything in Oz, but found this in the UK:

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Nutmeg_Grinder.html

So, I can go back to sleep now:rolleyes:
Hi got in touch with poolewood in uk as per the link supplied and Terry davis helped us through the process and we paid 10.00 quid to cover it in to our mailbox including airmail so I am pleased. we inadvertantly overpaid and Terry reversed that amount . the units are well made and the completed nutmeg mil works well . I used Jarrah and it looks great and causes no other odour as it is very old and dry. Very hard on the tools especially the forsner bit but jobs right now and brownie point awarded were well worth the effort. Thanks to all who put in on this thread and regards for now Wally

woodwork wally
16th August 2007, 09:41 PM
My mother had something like that when I was a kid, have no idea where she brought it but nothing is as good as freshly ground nutmeg thats for sure.

I remember OD'ing on it back then, but would love to get my hands on a kit as well.
Hey mate Got that nutmeg grinder going see reply to big shed and man you reallyyyyy could O,D. on the whiff of that stuff Its fantastic and leaves the bought stuff for dead Thanks for your help along the line regards Wally

woodwork wally
16th August 2007, 09:45 PM
Don't know nothin', Wally, but I'll be watching this thread.
Never heard of a nutmeg grinder.... Hope someone else will chime in here.
Hi Al check out the replys Fantastic !!!!!!! Before you rush and do one make sure that the nutmeg nuts are available Regards Wally

rodent
17th August 2007, 03:39 AM
Wall where are the pictures ?

KevM
17th August 2007, 08:33 AM
:iagree: :pics:

robyn2839
17th August 2007, 08:52 PM
how big is nutmeg? could you hit it with a hammer then put in peppermill?. just a thought. bob

woodwork wally
24th August 2007, 10:31 PM
how big is nutmeg? could you hit it with a hammer then put in peppermill?. just a thought. bob
nutmeg is about the size of the ond of your thumb back to the base of the nail and no a pepper grinder wont work on it . the nutmeg mill actuaslly shaves the nut very fine Sorry about the lack of pics yet but am still learning to pilot the computor without the camera as well but will see next week what we can work out .The firewood is getting less but the style & price is going up