PDA

View Full Version : Which lathe ? Opinions and thoughts

Woodchuck
15th May 2007, 10:57 AM
Well I'm thinking I want to have something a little better than my MC900, but budget is extremely tight sadly. I'm sick of replacing start/run caps, while I've read theres been some problems with lathes like the MSL-3815 these were a while ago and was wondering how people are fairing with these units now ?

Have all the bugs and problems been worked out of them, what other choices are there for around 1k-2k with either reeves system or electronic VS.

Your thoughts and opinions would be wonderful

powderpost
15th May 2007, 11:03 AM
Shop locally, ring Woodfast, they are in Adelaide.
Jim

Frank&Earnest
15th May 2007, 11:14 AM
AFAIK Woodfast sells only one mid range lathe for over 3 grand. I have settled for the Jet 1442VS at around 1500. They are not in Adelaide, however, you have to use middlemen or buy interstate.

Woodchuck
15th May 2007, 06:18 PM
Woodfast units are great but well over budget for me sadly as are the other really good units. 2k is already really past my limit really I should be staying around 1k but wanted to know what if anything there was in that price range.

As to the Jet 1442VS nice looking unit from what I can see on the web but hard to have a good look in person as you stated. No-one in Adelaide dealing in them. The Jet would be a upgrade in quality of finish/fittings without doubt but overall it's a very simular unit as my MC900 seeing as I already have a 1HP motor fitted to mine.

I guess I was really hoping there was more choices in regards to the electronic VS units with 1.5HP -2 HP motors and a better center hight. The stand on units such as the Jet are far better than those pressed steel ones on the MC range but I don't use the stand anyway as I have mine bench mounted on a solid/heavy bench cab.

Why is there so little between the sub $500 - $2,200, I guess I was hoping someone would have said the MSL-3815 isn't really that bad and at least works. Seems I am just stuck with the MC900 then :C .

Thanks for your thoughts and input folks, it all helps one try to make the right choices.

rsser
15th May 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi Wayne,

If you have the patience you could hang out for a quality unit 2nd hand.

Or, and I no longer follow the new technology with lathes these days so no warranty express or implied here, check out the MC1100VB at www.woodworking.com.au (http://www.woodworking.com.au)

Looks like a beefed up MC1100 with VS. Bear in mind though that VS electronics are expensive and this price doesn't reflect that. That said, Stan deals fair in my experience so maybe give him a call and have a yarn.

Good luck.

WillyInBris
15th May 2007, 06:40 PM
Dave at South East Queensland woodturning supplies is bringing in a lathe soon next month or two.

It should land at about $2200 variable speed with all the bits, all cast no tiny stuff a real monster.

Don't have the specs but it looked and sounded good and a few of the turners that have been around for a long time liked it as well I was looking at the 1642EVS but will prob go for this lathe when he gets it in.

lubbing5cherubs
15th May 2007, 06:55 PM
Get in touch with Carrols for the NOVA 14/24-44(think these numbers are wrong but the new nova) Jim will know what you are talking about
very nice
Toni

DJ’s Timber
15th May 2007, 07:08 PM
Linky (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144884) to the lathe that Toni is talking about

Woodchuck
15th May 2007, 07:18 PM
Ern, that unit doesn't look to bad at all. Seems it is a MC1100 but with a 2HP motor fitted at a much better position. I think the it's still reeves pully system just with a digital read out of the speed but I may be wrong.

Willy, that sounds interesting indeed but I doubt the budget or the wife would let me squeeze even a dollar over the 2k mark seeing as she said 1k lol. But I would like to see what it's like.

Toni, already looked at that unit and although I'm certain it's a nice bit of kit I hate changing speed with belts. I know I wont use it as much if I had a unit like that as I already have been there.

rsser
15th May 2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, you might be right. Bit hard to tell from the pic ... something black on the right side of the headstock might be the lever. Oh well, email is your friend.

btw, manual belt change can be no bother if the design is good. How long does it take Toni?

Quality is good on the Nova. [PS ... Ooops, one of our colleagues did have some hassles as I recall. Then again, the response was exemplary.]

Woodchuck
15th May 2007, 07:37 PM
Turning in itself is a problem for me as I have very bad wrists, I've found on other lathes the action and flex of my wrist needed to change belts on-top of the turning itself just made things all too hard too be honest. I can't turn as much or as often as I would like to now so it's kinda of dumb I know but it all adds upto the turning being less enjoyable for me. I even find the lever for the Reeves system enough of a problem which is why I was really thinking about electronic VS.

lubbing5cherubs
15th May 2007, 08:09 PM
It takes about 30 seconds. (IF THAT) You turn a switch about half a turn and lift it up and it slides over to where you want it. It is so easy even my husband loves it simplicity.. Plus an added bonus of that lathe when that motor dies you can upgrade it up to the variable speed next. Plus I have weak wrist very weak wrist like even using a drill press I need a bit of pipe to tighten the handles to make it tight enough not to move. I have RSI/ and carpel tunnels but I do not have a problem with this lathe
Toni

WillyInBris
15th May 2007, 08:25 PM
Link to the Nova Lathe (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/1624/Nova%20_1624.htm) on the Teknatool site :2tsup: well I think its the one? TONI?

lubbing5cherubs
15th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Yep Willy that is my baby
Toni

powderpost
15th May 2007, 11:57 PM
Woodfast has two lathes, one is a full sized machine, but the other one is a mid sized machine and quite reasonably priced. I have one and find it a very nice machine, even though it is made in China, but is not variable speed.
Jim

Mobil Man
16th May 2007, 12:55 AM
Check out Grizzly.com. Real good lathes. Wonder what freight would be?

Harry72
16th May 2007, 01:01 AM
Probably more than we can afford

Jack Plane
16th May 2007, 10:54 AM
You can't go past the Leady. About $1200 for the lathe without the belt driven motor and about $750 for the varible speed motor. All up a great lathe for less than $2K.

barry clark
29th August 2007, 10:30 PM
Hi Woodchuck

I have just stumbled over your post and maybe it is too late to have any input,but here is my experience with the msl 3815 for what it's worth

I have had my msl 3815 for about 20 months.I spend major time on the machine,being confined to a wheelchair with oodles of time on my hands.

Apart from a bearing replacement in both motor and headstock I have had no problems with the lathe.

I give it a pretty good hiding and it hasn't let me down.

Not a pretty lathe and limited to 2000 rpm.

Unless someone gives me a Nova dvr xp I have no plans on getting rid of it

Regards

Barry