PDA

View Full Version : Excel question

Daddles
16th May 2007, 01:03 PM
Doncha luv these :D

I've got a humungous spread sheet on which I record all my cycling data - yes, a bit geeky I know but it's fun and humours that wee voice inside that would love a job in a cubicle somewhere.

I've got four bikes and keep a running tally of the distance done on each bike. This is done by a formula, not an input (it identifies the bike and adds the ride's tally to the total for that bike). So running down my spreadsheet, I've got a long line of numbers. This all works very well and is not the problem.

The problem is one of tidyness :oo:
The columns of numbers extend way down past the last entry - it was easier to copy the formula down the column for months ahead than to do it each time I make an entry. Trouble is, it's unsightly (so am I on the bike but not even Billy Gates can fix that).

Is there some way of making the content of those cells invisible UNTIL I make an entry - eg, the bike totals cells appear blank until I put a figure in the 'ride time' column?

I've attached a screen shot of the spreadsheet for your amusement - quite a few columns have been hidden and the zoom adjusted to fit it on the screen, but it gives you an idea. The columns in question are Z through to AD (E could get the same treatment for the same reason). What I'd like is for those columns to appear blank until I put a figure in column C.

Any thoughts?

Richard

Gra
16th May 2007, 01:15 PM
=if(or(c###="",c###=0),"",{insert your formula here})

Daddles
16th May 2007, 02:41 PM
=if(or(c###="",c###=0),"",{insert your formula here})

Works a treat. Thanks mate :2tsup:

Richard

Gra
16th May 2007, 03:00 PM
Glad I got one answer right today:U :U

Wongo
16th May 2007, 03:12 PM
Funny bastard. :D See I like you.

silentC
16th May 2007, 03:15 PM
Bit hilly around where you live is it Daddles? :U

Wongo
16th May 2007, 03:23 PM
Why would anyone own 4 bikes is beyond me. I mean they all have 2 round wheels right? Don’t tell me you have one with rectangular wheels. You know that 25cm length, longer than 20cm width (or longer than anything shorter than 25cm:? ), kind of wheels?

:D

silentC
16th May 2007, 03:25 PM
I've got two. :)

Wongo
16th May 2007, 03:30 PM
2 wheels or 2 bikes? Its got to be clear mate.:D

Gra
16th May 2007, 03:31 PM
beat me to it wongo, I was going to say two what??? and leave it at that:D :D

Wongo
16th May 2007, 03:34 PM
I've got two. :)

Me too. :D :D :D :D :D

silentC
16th May 2007, 03:37 PM
Why would anyone own 4 bikes is beyond me.

I've got two.

What did you get in your HSC again? :p

Wongo
16th May 2007, 03:39 PM
I've got four bikes and keep a running tally.......

Read the question Silent.:D

Daddles
16th May 2007, 03:41 PM
Why would anyone own 4 bikes is beyond me. I mean they all have 2 round wheels right? Don’t tell me you have one with rectangular wheels. You know that 25cm length, longer than 20cm width (or longer than anything shorter than 25cm:? ), kind of wheels?

:D

It's all explained on me website (http://www.users.bigpond.com/richardspurling/cycling.htm).

There's the Black Beast - the main brute of burden.
The Europa - bought her in the eighties and she now serves as a fixed gear bike
The Sow's Ear - the horrible hybrid that proves you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but does do stirling work towing my daughter around on her tag-along.
and the Diamondback moutain bike that is in grave danger of donating her 'bits' to a home made recumbent.

So yeah, I don't need 4 bikes, but a couple more should see my needs filled :D

As for hilly, I can tell when I'm in my driveway, the road's suddenly flat :oo:

Most mornings I ride with my son to his school. The whole ride is a 25 km loop. There's about 5km of steep ups and downs to get to this hill (see attachment), we ride down it (topping 60km/hr), I leave him at school, turn around and have to ride up the sodding thing again:C. Then the 5kms of ups and downs before the final run along the ridge top to home.

Richard

SPIRIT
16th May 2007, 03:41 PM
Read the question Silent.:Dhay that can be a new saying around here READ THE QUESTION

Gra
16th May 2007, 03:42 PM
is it friday yet

Daddles
16th May 2007, 03:45 PM
hay that can be a new saying around here READ THE QUESTION

What? Change the whole culture of the place? :oo:

Richard

Daddles
16th May 2007, 03:47 PM
is it friday yet

This is about bikes, it's serious :U

Richard
bit like talking about scary sharp :C

Wongo
16th May 2007, 04:17 PM
We should all expect a warning from the mod.:D

Wongo
16th May 2007, 04:55 PM
Daddles, how did you climb 20m in the first 0km. I am on fire today. :D

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46227

Gra
16th May 2007, 05:01 PM
Daddles, how did you climb 20m in the first 0km. I

Baked beans for breakfast:D :D

Daddles
16th May 2007, 05:10 PM
Sheer strength and ability my good man :D

Richard
and baked beans for breakfast

ozwinner
16th May 2007, 05:23 PM
Daddles, you need a hobby, try woodwork. :doh:

Al :U

Daddles
16th May 2007, 05:50 PM
Did you see the piccies of the wooden bikes I posted last year? Now there's a challenge :D

Richard

AlexS
16th May 2007, 09:02 PM
I've got four bikes and keep a running tally

Perhaps you should be keeping a cycling tally?:rolleyes:

Oops, sorry, didn't read the question.

MikeT
4th June 2007, 11:54 AM
I'll ignore the cycling discussion here to avoid my guilt at stopping cycling a couple of months back (one day I'll fix the bike) and go back to the original question...

Have you thought about using a database - I think MS Access comes free with office. If you're just entering data it's pretty easy to use. It takes a bit more of a learning curve to work out performing formulas on lots of data but not too hard. And if you want it to look pretty there's wizards to help you make forms that make it look like a (semi) professional application.

cheers,
mike.

sea dragon
6th June 2007, 12:29 AM
Daddles,
Why do you ride the/a bike to school?
I reckon your son would prefer the MG with the hood down, the burble of the engine and not having to worry about how his father will cope getting up the big hill to get back home.