PDA

View Full Version : Raintree hollow form

powderpost
17th May 2007, 09:59 PM
Was at a bit of a loose end, so started to clean up a bit, a bit mind you, and discovered a raintree block in the rack. Looked a bit interesting, so what to do with it. A bowl, that's it. Started work on it and the grain pattern started to emerge. Whoa, lets think about this. If I keep going, all that nice grain will end up on the floor, so what about a hollow forn? Good idea, so the block was split horizontally in half, re-chucked and into it. This stuff makes me sneeze, so a face mask is essential. Very cranky grain, after getting most of the waste on the floor, lots of shear scraping to get rid of the torn grain. This piece was taken from just under a crotch in the tree, and the grain pattern shows this. Bit of banding around the join between the two halves and the jobs right. Now how about a neck to finish off? A laminated neck, that's it... haven't done any laminating for a while. Mmmmm not too bad I suppose.
Jim

powderpost
17th May 2007, 10:05 PM
Ooops, forgot to add, diameter is 350mm and 125mm high
Jim

Neal
17th May 2007, 10:10 PM
Very nice awesome piece of timber and nice design :2tsup:
Neal

BernieP
17th May 2007, 10:57 PM
G'Day Jim

Thats a very nice piece thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bernie

Caveman
17th May 2007, 11:29 PM
Mmmmm not too bad I suppose.
Jim

:2tsup: Jim - a bit modest:U . A real nice piece.

Raintree - is that as in Samanea saman (Albizia saman)???

I've just cut a little one of them down and it was obviously way too young to have developed that lovely dark heartwood. Pity it had to come down, but I saved the main piece to do something with later.

Gil Jones
18th May 2007, 04:23 AM
Jim, Beautiful work!! and a great piece of wood too.

reeves
18th May 2007, 04:49 AM
really nice grain on that raintree, good job

TTIT
18th May 2007, 08:51 AM
You're making it all sound too easy Jim - obviously a lot of work in that one - beautiful result :2tsup:

................. Bit of banding around the join between the two halves..............Please explain?!?!? (using the voice of a strangled ferret!)

Caveman
18th May 2007, 04:41 PM
You're making it all sound too easy Jim - obviously a lot of work in that one - beautiful result :2tsup:
Please explain?!?!? (using the voice of a strangled ferret!)

Vern, I'm guessing it's this:aro-d: , but that's only a guess.:?

TTIT
18th May 2007, 04:48 PM
Vern, I'm guessing it's this:aro-d: , but that's only a guess.:?Sorry Andy - Queensland joke :shrug: - Jim will know who I mean :B Was actually hoping he would explain (with pictures of course!) how the banding is done/attached/between/on top or however???

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th May 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm hoping he "cheated" and used commercial banding inlaid into a rebate. (If he made the banding too, then the green-eyed beast within shall be unleashed! :o :D)

powderpost
18th May 2007, 08:41 PM
TT, I think the word was zenophobic???????? :D Sorry Skew, I have to own up, :(( I did make the banding. The bowl was a single piece of wood about 360mm diameter and 150mm thick. I split it into two discs 360mm diameter and about 75mm thick. From that I turned two shallow bowls then glued them edge to edge. No deep hollowing. The grain didn't match up as well as I had hoped, so to camouflage the the discrepency, I turned a shallow groove and glued in a 1mm thick banding. Hope I haven't upset any 'sacred cows'? I was pleasantly surprised with the grain pattern. The blank was covered with crud when I found it. Forgot to mention, raintree sapwood is to borers as ice cream is to a kid, so I microwaved it to make sure any eggs were nuked. and took great pains to fill the pores inside before gluing the two halves together, to prevent future infestations.
Jim