PDA

View Full Version : Plunge action troubles!

cadnams
5th August 2003, 09:12 PM
Hey all,

I just bought a new Hitachi router, which is great, but I have a problem with it. I used it for a couple of days to make my work bench and now the plunge action is all but stuck. I have cleaned out the columns etc thoroughly but still the router will hardly budge. I have not added any sort of lubricant (I imagine that would just make saw dust stick to the columns and make the problem even worse).

Is this normal? Should I take it back to where I bougt it? Can I fix the problem?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cadnams

Johnno
5th August 2003, 09:38 PM
G'day Cadnams,

I have a TR12, and some time ago had a similar problem. Actually I had caused it myself - when the plunge action got a bit stiff I took it apart and cleaned it. When I put it back together I reversed the obscure little thingy which locks the action when you use the lock lever. I also managed to lose the damned thing for several days until I swept through the sawdust and shavings with a big magnet!

Take it apart again and check that you have that plunger - whatever it is called , in the right position. My instruction book's out in the shed in the wind, cold and dark, and I ain't gunna go and look for it right now! From memory it has a domed and a flat end. The flat end is the one which should press against the pillar when you lock the action.

Hope this works -

Johnno2

Wood Borer
9th August 2003, 06:58 PM
Cadnams,

For what it is worth, my Hitachi TR12 became very stiff in the plunging action and no matter how much cleaning and oiling I was making no progress.

For some reason (desperation perhaps) I dismantled it and removed the base from the router body. Be careful you don't lose the locking part as Johnno found. You will find inside the columns there are two springs. The springs return the base to the idle position when the lock is released.

I found these springs dry and slightly corroded. I cleaned them and put a small amount of oil on them and hey presto what a difference.

Actually I put too much oil on them (thinking they would never be exposed to dust. That part of my thinking was OK but the oil can leak down the columns and out the base. Makes a bit of mess, fortunately the router wasn't parked on any good timber at the time.

Give it a go, it may be your problem.

- Wood Borer

PS The first paragraph was written in innocence and the possible double meanings are accidental which I only saw when checking.

Johnno
9th August 2003, 07:10 PM
Hi cadnams - I'm back!

If you're going to use the Hitachi under a table, you don't need the springs at all. Take them out and put them somewhere safe until you want to use the thing freehand again.

I must confess that mine has spent all but the first month of its life upside down under my Triton table, and for me the springs are totally superfluous!

Johnno2

cadnams
11th August 2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys.

I have pulled her apart again and taken a closer look. It wasn't the springs but there was a virtually invisible layer of something (just random much really) on the inside of the tubes (inside where the posts slide up and down). It did not look related to sawdust in any way but a bit of extra attention and she is now running just nicely.

Thanks.

Cadnams

MICKYG
11th August 2003, 03:23 PM
Cadnams

I have a Makita 3600br and use compressed air to dust it of after use and apply a tiny amount of WD40 to the posts and wipe of excess, it has never stuck and is seven year old. This may be of help for a sticky free future.

Regards:)

Mike

cadnams
12th August 2003, 05:46 PM
Where is the easiest place to get cans of compressed air from?

Thanks

Cadnams

Sandy Johnston
26th August 2003, 02:17 PM
I bought a 3hp varispeed router about 2 years back and I thought there was a problem with the plunge stiffening up but seemingly the slide that the plunge thingy does its bit has a bit of slop on it and if you do not plunge evenly on both sides it will stick and this is true for all the plung routers I have tried and that's a few.

regards
Sandy across the ditch:confused:

rottenscoundrel
29th September 2003, 10:09 AM
I would not have dreamed of using a liquid oil to lubricate the sleeves (for fear of dust sticking). I have been looking for a solution for the problem and have tried using a dry powder graphite grease. It did not last long, partially because I refrained from taking the unit apart. Has anybody had any bad luck using WD-40 and the like???
Thanks

Ivan in Oz
29th September 2003, 10:44 AM
> Where is the easiest place to get cans of compressed air from?

Cadnams

Actually CRC sell compressed air in about 330cc cans.
I use it together with their Cold spray
[or Freeze spray or Whatever it's called]

There's plenty of air outside at the moment.
It's blowing a gale and I'm wanting to finish the roofing....
Not Happy:(

Ivan in Oz

xron
17th October 2003, 08:44 PM
hi there cadams,
I've two TR12's and they spend most of their lives upside down. Thus every month or so I have a maintenance day - sharpen the chisels etc. as well as cleaning the TR12's. First it's strip job - then blow out with compressed air - jeez they appear to be dust magnets. Then it's a matter of polishing the pedestals(?) with 320 paper followed by a mini tad of WD40 and reassemble.
All I can say is that this works for me.

Regards - Ron

gatiep
17th October 2003, 11:27 PM
I have found that graphite powder in a puffer pack works wonders to lubricate woodworking tools instead of any oil. If done properly it lasts a long time and the excess is easily blowed away with comp. air or wiped with a rag.
Works wonders on the reese variable speed systems on the 'chinese lathes'. A wee bit on the sole of a beltsander, spread with a rag and polished, makes the belt slide easily and makes the belt sander motor very happy.

If you suffer from hayfever and use a nasal spray, make absolutely sure you don't accidentally put the graphite puffer in your pocket. From experience I can tell you that you will blow black gunk from your nostril for 3 weeks! Note I said nostril......you definately will not spray both!

Have fun....................keep turnin

rottenscoundrel
18th October 2003, 05:55 AM
Back to graphite powder, I had since called the manufacturer (Dewalt) and they had said the unit requires no lubrication and within 5 days they sent me a replacement plunge unit! Beats the hell out of lubricating.:) Also, as Gatiep says above, graphite is great for other tools, such as rods on a table saw etc as it collects no dust.

reuelt
15th November 2003, 06:22 AM
I first spray my M12V with WD40 then wipe the dust off. Dust will stick to oil but it is then more easy to clean remove the dust with a tissue or cloth when they are wetted with oil.

Then I dismantle the collumn again spray the inside with WD40 and then again wiping off with tissue or cloth.

After putting back the column and it is as smooth a plunge as new.

By the way, new Hitachi M12V now include soft "bellows" shaped black soft plastic coverings for the columns to keep off the dust.

Try to buy them from Hitachi as spares parts.