PDA

View Full Version : P150 Jointer

Dean
6th August 2003, 11:48 AM
Anyone have a P-150 jointer (or the many clones around the $450 mark from GPW, Timbecon etc) and can pass on some comments?

Examples:
http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/6jointer.html

http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12513&parentid=12472&prodid=27974

Does it do a good job? I don't care about the name on the side, the color or any other cosmetic feature... Just need it to straighten and finish edges.

No need to tell me the Jet, Delta or other bigger/larger machines are better... I know that :)
I have a budget which only allows the above price range and SWMBO says buy now at that price, or don't buy at all! :rolleyes:

Thanks

journeyman Mick
7th August 2003, 12:16 AM
Dean, I've got a generic 6" jointer (mines from Leda, a S.A. mob apparently). The only dramas with mine have been the fence. The bolts that act as stops for the fence when in the vertical position don't quite sit against the flat portions of the fence, instead they foul against the cast ribs. One of these days I will take the fence off and pour epoxy all over the back of the fence to give it a flat surface the stops can sit against, in the meantime I just double check before use. Other than that, no problems, quiet, powerful & (almost) vibration free.

Mick

Little Festo
8th August 2003, 10:25 AM
Hello Dean,

I have a CTJ-150, the Carba Tec long bed 6" jointer. It seems to work quite well. I had to straighten up so 150mm wide bartu the other week and it seemed to stress the motor a bit (1 hp) but no real dramas. The bartu was not too straight grained with a few swirls that were almost knots so it wasn't an easy job.

Certainly solid and well finnished. had it for about a year and it's gone through a Darwin "wet season" without developing any rust spots so the paint etc is good (90%-100% humidity from mid Oct to beginning March).
I regularly polished the bed though.

Keep an eye out for the "specials". Carba Tec in Brisbane gave me a really good deal on the machine and on the freight.

Peter.

chris_hewett
8th August 2003, 10:32 AM
I picked up my CTJ-150 from Carba-Tec during the Sydney wood show sale for $789. They will probably do the same deal when the Melb show is on... The instructions that came with it were pretty ordinary, but as it was made in the same factory as the Delta, I went to the Delta web site and downloaded their manual ;) .