PDA

View Full Version : Found - Wood Whispering Women

robynmau
22nd May 2007, 06:07 PM
Hi all

I just found Wood Whispering Women, what a fabulous idea. Congratulations to the instigator and uBeaut for facilitating it :roll:

I recently came out in the Turners board, after lurking for quite some time, so I thought I would be 'brave' and declare myself here as well:B

I've been turning for approx 6 years now and am really addicted. I started woodworking at the local night classes as a reward to myself for finishing my formal course of study [as mature age student I needed lots of carrots at the end of 5 years study I can tell you] I made a few things there, but then I found a local woodturner who runs weekly workshops, and I've been humbugging him ever since :q

I've always loved wood, but like lots of people in my age group, gender played a big part in opportunities we had. These days, that's all by the by, thank goodness, and I get to have the wood whisper to me, whenever :roll:

These days I might enhance my turnings by colouring, texturing, carving or the like but I also leave some of them plain, depending on the wood I am using.

I turn lots of different woods as I've built up a good stash of local woods but I really like turning mahogany, black wattle and ironwood. I sell some of my pieces through local galleries, but most of my things go to family and friends.

I thought I'd do a bit of show & tell while I'm here:

Piece #1 - beauty leaf bowl that warped, so I carved out the petals
Piece #2 - small black wattle box
Piece #3 - medium sized figured black wattle bowl
Piece #4 - small black wattle bowl with bead enhancements

I don't hop on the computer a great deal any more, but will definately be dropping by when opportunity rises.

Cheers

Robynmau

flynnsart
22nd May 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi, your work is lovely, things like that are just asking to be picked up and caressed!. I have tried a bit of woodturning, but might leave that one till I retire, the hours just seem to disapear when you are in front of a lathe.

Donna

watson
22nd May 2007, 06:52 PM
Welcome Robynmau,
You'll have fun here

Robynb
22nd May 2007, 07:30 PM
Welcome Robynmau, your pieces are lovely. Donna's right, you just want to pick them up. I haven't tried turning yet, but the more I see on this forum, the more I think it's time to start.

RufflyRustic
22nd May 2007, 09:52 PM
Hi and Welcome Robyn!

I hope you'll post more pictures of your work. Those first group of photos of your turnings have left me wanting to beg for more :- :2tsup: :)

Great to hear that you sell your works as well as gifting them to friends & family. There's something special about being able to do both.

I've been tempted to get into turning for a while now, but to be honest, I'm still having way too much fun learning the darkside methods of using handtools for woodwork and cabinetry before including the turning just yet:rolleyes:

I hope you'll be able to drop in here a bit more and keep us up-to-date with your latest works.

Cheers
Wendy

spring
23rd May 2007, 11:07 AM
Hi Robyn

Lovely work on those bowls, like the others said you just wanna run your fingers over them.:2tsup:

robynmau
27th May 2007, 10:14 AM
Thank you everyone for your supportive words :-

I'll try to keep in touch :U

Cheers

Robynmau

ptc
27th May 2007, 10:16 AM
just lurking

lubbing5cherubs
29th May 2007, 11:59 AM
Cool Robyn nice to see you here