PDA

View Full Version : Textured Peking Ball

La truciolara
27th May 2007, 01:20 AM
Always during this meeting between professionals, an expert in Peking Balls (balls within balls, or balls with a captive star), the expert Christian Delhon, tired to always turn the same balls decided to texture it.
He has been using a dentist drill (not the one with an angle, but the straight one running at 400 000 rpms.
The effect is quite nifty I think.

RufflyRustic
27th May 2007, 08:57 AM
now that is highly unusual and very interesting!!:oo: :)

Is there any chance of a bigger picture to see the texture you mention?

thanks
Wendy

joe greiner
27th May 2007, 02:02 PM
What she said, Claude. Did you just crop a high-resolution photo? I get bigger blow-ups by shooting the pic directly at lower resolution to satisfy upload limits. Very nifty even without seeing the texture very well.

Joe

WOODbTURNER
27th May 2007, 02:52 PM
Always during this meeting between professionals, an expert in Peking Balls (balls within balls, or balls with a captive star), the expert Christian Delhon, tired to always turn the same balls decided to texture it.
He has been using a dentist drill (not the one with an angle, but the straight one running at 400 000 rpms.
The effect is quite nifty I think.

Wow!! 400 000 rpm. Are you sure?

joe greiner
27th May 2007, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised at 400 000 rpm. Many, many years ago, they were at least 100 000 IIRC. Uses a compressed air turbine, I think.

Joe

Frank&Earnest
27th May 2007, 06:40 PM
Recently Robin D posted in the woodcarving section some nice engravings and waxed lyrical about his 400,000 rpm Hurricane engraving tool. It sounds quite amazing, a rotation in 1/6666 of a second, but looks like it is true.