PDA

View Full Version : home made lathe WIP

thefixer
27th May 2007, 08:32 PM
I have been working on this little contraption for a few months now, should have taken more progress pics but got caught up in the moment.
The timber base, tail stock and spindle support are made from 45mm KD hardwood off cuts that were given to me as prospective firewood. The spindle is an armature with sealed bearings from an old 3 phase motor and the driving force is a hoover washing machine motor. The other bits were leftovers from the GMC lathe after I recomissioned it as a disc sander.The base was routed out with 3 channels and the tailstock routed to fit. As you can see from pics the alignment is near perfect. All that is left to do is machine the end of the spindle and thread it to take a chuck of some sort and set up a tool rest. Once complete I hope to have nice little pen lathe.
Cost so far $0.00.
I know I could buy a small lathe to do same for around $250.00 but where is the challenge in that.:rolleyes:
P.S there is no flex in the base and the tailstock is more than sturdy enough to take the pressure required for a pen mandrill.

Cheers
Shorty

lubbing5cherubs
27th May 2007, 08:48 PM
Shorty good on you. YOu have done a top job
Toni

watson
27th May 2007, 09:06 PM
Shorty.....well done! :2tsup:

I never go to the pen turning forum, but I'm glad I did...a good bit of ingenuity.
Love the cost factor!!

thefixer
27th May 2007, 09:09 PM
Shorty good on you. YOu have done a top job
Toni

Thanx toni. Who knows, if this thing works I may give up the big stuff
and become a pen addict as well. On second thoughts, NAAAAAAAH:wink:

Cheers
Shorty

triden
27th May 2007, 09:44 PM
:2tsup:That's a classic, your a genius.

joe greiner
27th May 2007, 11:18 PM
Very good, Shorty. Looks nice and stout. Shouldn't wander at all.

Joe

lubbing5cherubs
27th May 2007, 11:47 PM
Thanx toni. Who knows, if this thing works I may give up the big stuff
and become a pen addict as well. On second thoughts, NAAAAAAAH:wink:

Cheers
Shorty

TIME WILL TELL.:p :D It starts off inocently just one pen oh I make one more but than another idea come and another and before you know you are hooked.:D
Toni

Article99
27th May 2007, 11:53 PM
I am not taking the Mickey, I've looked at that first photo four times now... I reckon the centre's higher... :sorry2:

thefixer
28th May 2007, 12:09 AM
TIME WILL TELL.:p :D It starts off inocently just one pen oh I make one more but than another idea come and another and before you know you are hooked.:D
Toni

I looked at your web site. WOW!!!. If this lathe works any near as well as I would like it is gunna have to do a lot of work before it gets anywhere near that quality and skill level.:2tsup: Bewdiful stuff.

Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
28th May 2007, 12:13 AM
I am not taking the Mickey, I've looked at that first photo four times now... I reckon the centre's higher... :sorry2:

Only four times :( I did say near perfect.:p Still; better aligned than my bought lathe. Tried a couple of pens on it but it has too much play in headstock and tail stock. Heres hoping.

Cheers
Shorty

lubbing5cherubs
28th May 2007, 12:16 AM
I looked at your web site. WOW!!!. If this lathe works any near as well as I would like it is gunna have to do a lot of work before it gets anywhere near that quality and skill level.:2tsup: Bewdiful stuff.

Cheers
Shorty

Thank you very much:D I told you it just one more than another idea comes along:doh: :D
Toni

rsser
28th May 2007, 08:51 AM
Full marks for effort.

The trouble with 'real' wood though is it moves and you may well find your bed alternating between stuck and sloppy.

Laminating up bits of ply is more stable.

thefixer
28th May 2007, 10:24 AM
Full marks for effort.

The trouble with 'real' wood though is it moves and you may well find your bed alternating between stuck and sloppy.

Laminating up bits of ply is more stable.

G'day rsser

I reckon a good sanding and a few coats of sealer and lacquer will keep it pretty stable.

Cheers
Shorty

Gil Jones
28th May 2007, 11:30 AM
Shorty, your pen lathe is a real fine piece of work!
I will be interested in how it works when you are finished with it.

hcbph
4th June 2007, 02:47 AM
Very impressive. Looks like it was quite a job.

Paul