PDA

View Full Version : FINISH ON A CUTTING BOARD

John Thuijs
9th October 2000, 09:48 PM
I am making a cutting board out of a piece of Iron Bark and would like to know what is the best finish for it? Should I just use a non toxic vegetable oil? I hear that this could go rancid! A polyurethane would work but will get worn off with use and I dont know if it is toxic? Is there a natural oil I can use that wont go off?

ubeaut
10th October 2000, 09:12 AM
NONE!

Let what happens to the board be the finish. Butter from toast, fat from meat, juices from a roast, etc. etc. Natural (raw timber) has the ability to take germs away from the surface of the timber to where they can do no harm. Putting a coating on this surface gives the germs somewhere to live and multiply.

Use the back of the board for cutting onions, meat, etc, and the front for breads, etc. Wash the board well after use with hot soapy water.

If you must put a finish on it to enhanse the timber for sale then use almost any vegetable oil just prior to sale. It probably won't last too long on the surface if it is going to be used regularly. Never use polyurethane.

Cheers - Neil

PS We have been using cutting boards like this for years and they are great.

Rod Smith
10th October 2000, 07:17 PM
Hi John
I've always used cooking oil, just pour it on a spread it round, maybe a second coat, neever had a problem. Usually use peanut oil. On the other hand boards that have not been oiled for a long time still seem fine, a la Neil. I believe wood makes the best chopping boards.
Rod

John Thuijs
11th October 2000, 10:44 PM
Thanks, your answers pretty much confirmed what I had in mind anyway. On the subject of wood cutting boards, I remember some time ago a documentary or some such on TV did tests on various types of cutting boards and found out that the wood actually came out better than the plastic cutting boards because the what ever in the wood would kill all the germs. I have always used a wood cutting board and I am still fit and healthy. Thanks again for the info.

RETIRED
11th October 2000, 11:41 PM
Gooday.

John there was rather a discussion on this subject in general woodwork On November13 1999. Worth reading.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

JackoH
12th October 2000, 05:03 PM
Richard Raffan agrees with Neil, leave it "au naturelle"! In fact he prefers to leave most kitchen utensils etc without a finish. This allows them to aquire a patina and character of their own with handling and regular use.
John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Gino
13th October 2000, 02:54 PM
Hi fella's

For what it's worth I've used Organoil on chopping boards, which is also a natural oil.

Does anyone have an opinion on using this or do you all still reckon leaving the wood in it's natural state is better.

I've given a few as presents, but the recipents would not have been as impressed with the look if the chopping board was given in the raw state.

cheers

Gino

Iain
13th October 2000, 04:18 PM
Like a lot of others I use vegatable oil to finish boards and them becoming rancid is not a problem with regular use and washing. Agree with Neil on using nothing but if you are giving them away as presents a nice finish is important because everyone then thinks you spent a lot of money on them and we all know differently http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif
I use organoil and as far as I am aware there is nothing toxic in it, I think it is tung oil based.
Just advise the recipients to wash well after use..................the board that is.
Also, Neil, who is not saying much is coming up with a similar product (he will say better) to organoil and I have heard it will be released at the WWW show at the end of this month....RIGHT NEIL???????

Marshall Gorrow
16th October 2000, 09:03 AM
I agree with no finish. If it's to be a gift and you are afraid that it will look finished, try mineral oil (aka liquid paraffin) Some mix in a little beeswax.

I would be a little hesitant in using peanut oil. Some are deathly alergic to just a trace of it! Even handling the cutting board and getting the fingers into the mouth before the first washing could mean a trip to the emergency room or worse.

Most of what you put on will wash off on the first washing. The new owner will re-oil for the first week. Then it will go back to a natural state anyway.

------------------

Marshall Gorrow
May your next turning be your best!

ubeaut
16th October 2000, 09:14 AM
Well said Marshall you have hit the nail right on the head. Chopping & Bread board makers take note.