PDA

View Full Version : table saw and thicknesser

Arthur
11th August 2003, 12:27 AM
I am about to go into the market for a 10inch table saw and thickneser. ( i am an amateur woodworker)

I have seen the delta thicknesser for about $800 at Carbatec and think it looks ok: does anybody diifer with their opinion?

Also the saw: I know a guy with a 10" chinese/taiwanese unit and he ain't a real happy chappy. I have seen a delta at crbatec for about $2200 and a Jet supersaw for about $2100.
does anybody know where i can view the Jet machinery in sydney or newcastle??

Also does anybody have experience with these two brands for some feedback on there quality??

Thanking you.

Arthur

craigb
11th August 2003, 10:13 AM
Arthur,

The NSW distributor for Jet equipment is Major Woodworking Equipment. They are in Padstow in Sydney.

I can't help you with the table saw query as I don't own one.

I have a DeWalt 12'' thicknesser which I am quite happy with. They are a bit expensive when compared to the Delta though.

I understand that the Delta is also a good machine.

HTH
Craig

PlaneCrazy
13th August 2003, 04:52 PM
I have a delta contrtactors saw and couldn't be happier with it. I also have a delta thickness planer and like it as well. I would stick with the delta thickness planer (2 speed model 13" cut), and if you want to save some money, grizzly makes a good contractor saw if it is available to you. I bought their latest 14" band saw and just love it.

Dean
13th August 2003, 05:03 PM
Arthur,

Which taiwanese/chinese saw has your friend got and isn't happy about... Let us know so we know what to avoid :)

Dean

namtrak
13th August 2003, 05:47 PM
My only advice would be to be fully acquainted with any levelling mechanisms that come with the machines. This is critical if the thicknesser/planer doubles as a buzzer. This is definitely a job that needs to be perfect, particularly if buzzing longer pieces. Our feed tables were out across 1.5 metres by about 2mm and this led to all our DAR being out - hence troubles all round for laminating together pieces!! Once we perfected the levelling of the feed tables (in and out) we were rocking and rolling

kenmil
13th August 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Arthur
Also the saw: I know a guy with a 10" chinese/taiwanese unit and he ain't a real happy chappy.
Thanking you.

Arthur

It is important to realise that there is a big difference between Chinese & Taiwanese. Most of the major brands of tablesaws are made in Taiwan, and they are of a more than adequate quality.
You could not go wrong with either a Jet or a Delta. They are first rate quality and they are both made in Taiwan. (I have a Jet cabinet saw)