PDA

View Full Version : May Pen Swap Pics

Simomatra
2nd June 2007, 06:01 PM
This is my only one at the moment I was experimenting with segmenting and had some blow ups

Koto red river gum and copper in a slim line

Penpal
2nd June 2007, 06:27 PM
You seem to be having so much fun for a guy away,keep playing but I like a wood pen with variations like that. Regards Peter

Simomatra
2nd June 2007, 07:38 PM
You seem to be having so much fun for a guy away,keep playing but I like a wood pen with variations like that. Regards Peter

Peter the ship was held up for some reason and I am now not due to depart till sometime this week

I am renovating the shed so all goes well

Touchwood
2nd June 2007, 09:19 PM
I do like the contrast Simomatra; I'd have to confess mine will be late as I have been too busy to get any shed time of late. However, we have a long weekend, so am hopeful!
:2tsup: JD

Terry B
7th June 2007, 11:36 PM
For what they are worth, here are 2 pens, one from April made of cherry and the other for May in the light coloured wood ?what with copper shims.
It doesn't show well on the pics but I had problems with sanding the copper. It stained the light wood. I'm not sure how to avoid this apart from not using a light coloured wood with the copper.
The cherry was lovely to turn and I liked it in a simple form.

Simomatra
8th June 2007, 08:56 AM
Well done Terry B

The white timber is Koto from Africa

I had a similar problem with mine re the copper staining

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th June 2007, 04:41 PM
Me three. Enough of a problem that I bounced the blank off the far wall. :- Probably the best place for the abomination, too! :rolleyes:

Back to square one. Yet again.

Touchwood
8th June 2007, 04:58 PM
Me three. Enough of a problem that I bounced the blank off the far wall. :- Probably the best place for the abomination, too! :rolleyes:

Back to square one. Yet again.

Temper, Temper!!! :oo: :oo:

JD

kruger
9th June 2007, 06:05 AM
hello,

what are the rules of a pen swap?

Simomatra
9th June 2007, 08:58 AM
G'day Kruger

A host usually supplies material, blank and any veneers or extras, to make two pens.

It is normal to sell one pen and give profits to your charity of choice

The pens are then displayed in a post the next month

Every month a different person is the host supplier

Hope this makes it clearer.

We have also just had a blank swap with people being paired off to swap 6 pen blanks:2tsup:

Touchwood
9th June 2007, 09:22 PM
I am having one heck of a time trying to get the copper to glue to the wood. I wonder - Does yellow glue have a use by date?

I have used copper shim no problems, this thicker copper is holding heat (when cutting on BS) and the glue giving.

Have glued again and clamped lightly and will leave it over night.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th June 2007, 09:37 PM
I used epoxy, no problems there. 'Cept I've run out, so have to wait until I buy more before I make another attempt. (The one that flew has gone into hiding. :rolleyes:)

Touchwood
23rd June 2007, 08:13 PM
Athough it is well into June, I have finally finished the May pens. Red River Gum and copper would not play nicely together and had to be re glued a number of times. Even on the lathe, they still wanted to go their own way and it was only good luck, not good planning, that the errant segment landed on the floor and not down the dusty when it self ejected from the mandrel.

red river gum and copper

flooded gum, chrome (off a computer disc) and Jarrah

Both pens

The flooded gum has a nice fickle about it - looks really nice.

Thanks Sam, sorry I took so long :B

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd June 2007, 11:53 PM
I'm almost tempted to go hunting for the remnants of my tantrum. :D

The River Redgum one certainly takes my fancy.

dai sensei
24th June 2007, 12:26 PM
All of the pens are looking good, I'll have to try some metal shims one day.

That chook certainly takes my fancy JD :2tsup: , but the pens are good too :U

Jiminidaho
24th June 2007, 01:09 PM
How do you do the copper inlay? THAT IS COOL.

Touchwood
24th June 2007, 01:49 PM
How do you do the copper inlay? THAT IS COOL.

The copper is just glued onto the wood as if it were wood (sanded to rough it up a bit). The pen blank was cut at 45 degree angles (once from the RHS and once from the LHS) to make what looks like an X until you turn it - then it becomes two circles and crosses! Ideally the circles are the same size - requires straight drilling, mine went off line a bit on one half when the drill hit the copper. Learnt from this and drilled a pilot hole then the correct size hole.

This copper was quite thick, have also used copper shim which you can put in on curves.

JD