PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Fruit Bowl

dai sensei
3rd June 2007, 11:55 AM
I went to a house walming party last night and gave the below as my gift. I only had yesterday and one night last week to make it, late notice on the party, so chose Cedar as I have a fare bit.

I picked what I thought was a nice solid lump and cut out a blank 400 dia with the chain saw. I rough turned the outside only to find it full of dead wood where old branches joined and around the sap wood. I turned off most of the sap wood and cut out branch dead wood filling it with clear resin. Due to lack of time though, I had to repair any fractured resin, and the heaps of bug holes, with CA. I did manage to use my Bowl Saver for the center that I can make another bowl from.

The final bowl was only 300mm dia and finished with Shellewax/EEE/Glow. The Cedar is very pink, so obviously still a bit green, hopeully it wont crack on me in the future.

DJ’s Timber
3rd June 2007, 12:34 PM
Nice one Neil :2tsup: speccy bit of cedar

rsser
3rd June 2007, 01:14 PM
Neat save DS.

Eat your heart out Mercedes!

Simomatra
3rd June 2007, 06:24 PM
Great stuff Neil nice prezzie

cedar n silky
3rd June 2007, 07:37 PM
Nice job Neil. A lovely bit of cedar too. Superb colour. I love the stuff, and you did a good save on it!:D

TTIT
4th June 2007, 11:57 PM
Luvly chunk of wood Neil - the recipients would have to be happy with that :2tsup:. I think I'd have left the holes open for a fruit bowl but that's just me! Great job.:U

OGYT
6th June 2007, 04:42 AM
Nice gift, Neil, and I like the symmetry in the holes/knot. Good on ya.
Looks to be thin enough sos it shouldn't crack, I'd think.

RufflyRustic
6th June 2007, 09:35 AM
Spectacular!! :2tsup:

Rookie
6th June 2007, 02:07 PM
Jeez that's nice DS. I'm still working on getting finishes that nice. Really pretty piece of work............but I'll wait for Cliff's feedback on the foot size :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2007, 04:32 PM
Both knot holes are filled with resin? You did excellent work on the finish! :thyel: (I assume the pink "smudge" in the lower right knot is just a reflection and not a stuff-up... after all, t'other is nice and clear.)

Pity it'll brown off over time, eh? I wonder if a UV reistant finish (eg. spar varnish) would slow that down or whether the colour is more a moisture related thing?

dai sensei
6th June 2007, 09:00 PM
I assume the pink "smudge" in the lower right knot is just a reflection and not a stuff-up... after all, t'other is nice and clear.

Pity it'll brown off over time, eh? I wonder if a UV reistant finish (eg. spar varnish) would slow that down or whether the colour is more a moisture related thing?

Pink smudge is just a reflection.

There are already a few brown patches, so I don't mind it all turning brown. But on a good piece with no defects, perhaps I would consider trying to retain the colours - but my experience with my rose sheoak (that was really red) was that nothing stops it, I can only delay it.