PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Teak Finish

Tony Hartwell
17th October 2000, 01:36 PM
G'day,
I am looking to match the heritage teak finish found on the baltic pine furniture that is being made these days.
I have a table that has had kwik grip contact adhesive glue spilt on it while gluing up some shoes, wasn't me mum. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif
The spill wasn't found until the next day & when the glue drop was pulled off it left a white spot.
Not sure why this finish is called teak, I live in the northern rivers area of the north coast in nsw & the teak that I use looks nothing like this.
Love this site keep up the good work, thanks all.
Tony Hartwell.

Shane Watson
17th October 2000, 02:24 PM
Tony,

I do a lot of repairs for the big furniture stores..Harvey norman , Super Amart etc etc. And therfore have to match these 'Heritage' colours often.

I am not sure, but you may be able to buy these ready made now, but I cant confirm that as I mix my own colours so very rarely look at the commercially available colours.

When the 'Heritage' colours first made an appearance on mass produced furniture I think a wiping stain was used. Or thats what we used to use to achieve the same effect anyway. To my knowledge they no longer do. Because most of the furniture is made from pine I find that a highly reduced stain sprayed on gives the effect that is common with the 'Heritage' colours due to the differing absorbtion rates of the timber.

I wont attempt to try and tell you how to match stains. It takes a good eye and a lot of practice. But as a general rule all stains are produced using the colours red, black, yellow, green. Some people say that matching stains is harder than matching solid colours. I dont agree with that having done both, I think the main difference between the two is that with woodwork 'Near enough is good enough' Where as solid colours such as automotive colours have to be spot on...

My best suggestion to you would be to check your local supplier to see if this stain is produced commercially now. Or some suppliers will match the stain for you if you can provide samples.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most large furniture manufactures mix there own colours and call them what they want. That way it is hard for people to copy them - especially the general public. So even if you can get a commerical colour the same name, don't make the mistake to think it will be the same colour. Unlike solid colours there are no universal colours for stain. Even the primary colours will vary from manufacturer.

Oh, 'heritage teak' ? the name is just for marketing purposes. Sounds flash dosn't it.. thats what its meant to do. I doubt they even had some teak to match too when they developed the colour. But thats general to all colours.. Just cause it might be named walnut stain - it probably wont look anything like walnut.. And yea application has a lot to do with the final colour.

Anyway, I have probably confussed ya.... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Not to worry..

Cheers