PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Plans

Moondog
13th August 2003, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know or have plans for building a Band Saw, ideally around an 18 inch. Apparently there are also kits available.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers

Frans

craigb
13th August 2003, 02:06 PM
Firstly, I don't know of any plans availabe - sorry.

Are you really sure that you want to do this? What with the price of bandsaws these days, by the time that you source and buy/fabricate the parts and then factor the cost of your time to actually make it, are you going to save any money?

Aslo, I'm not aware of any kits, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Craig

Moondog
13th August 2003, 02:09 PM
I have been looking at Bandsaws and the prices seem to be around $2,000 + for a decent machine. S/H around here are very rare.

Thanks for your reply.

Glen Bridger
15th August 2003, 01:09 AM
Hi Moondog,

I'm building a small band saw for home. I couldn't find any plans but I did have a couple of big industrial machines at work to get some ideas off. A lot depends on how much access you have to machining equipment eg lathe and mill.

The other problem you will have is getting the wheels. I tried for months and couldn't find any. I eventually went to the Stenco pulley foundry in Wagga and found out they made them, but only in 10 and 12 inch diameter. These are available through Consolidated Bearing Company CBC, and are called bandsaw pulleys.

I've still got a fair bit to do, but it has only cost the price of the wheels so far. The rest is stuff I had already.

Glen.

Grue
15th August 2003, 08:28 AM
Hi Frans,

Here's a link for you http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/band/

Should have made a note of your location before posting however have a look here
http://www.factoryhub.com.au/srch-keyword-results.asp?1=1&strLocation=%2AAustralia&strKeyWord=bandsaw&DS=1&type=Saws&SOTypeID=3100

There are a couple here <$2000

Have a look at the auction columns in the SMH & Australian, you will find a woodwork shop closing and they are usually quite cheap.

Grue.
www.metalbashatorium.com