PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, what are you all working on?

spring
7th June 2007, 12:06 PM
Just wondering what all the ladies here are working on at the moment.

I just finished a fretwork black forest clock and am getting tips from the forum on how to glue it together
Also working on 2 baskets, 1 waiting to be glued, need to cut a handle and rim for the other
And a small free standing frog puzzle ( 4 piece puzzle ) which I'll try and cut from a few different woods, comparing how different woods cut and finish. :)

RufflyRustic
7th June 2007, 01:09 PM
Hi Spring

Sounds very interesting - especially the baskets.

I'm working on a pine shelf/coat rack for my laundry, finishing the benchtop in the laundray, cleaning up the mess ready for the shed party in two days time and looking wistfully at the unfinished walls and electrics in the shed.:rolleyes:

cheers
Wendy

s_m
7th June 2007, 02:49 PM
I am just getting into my first piece of proper furniture from scratch - a recycled Blackbutt TV/video cabinet. I put up a WIP thread in the photos forum this week.

I am doing all the heavy/power tool work at evening class and fitting in what I can at home (sanding, filling, marking up, rough cuts) when 3yo is at preschool or asleep at night.

I biscuit-jointed and glued up the carcass panels on Tuesday nite and picked them up yesterday.

This morning I did some filling of nail holes and gum veins on a piece of scrap using marine-grade epoxy tinted black. Hoping it doesn't take too long to set so I can sand/finish the sample before the weekend - if I haven't got the carcass panels filled and sanded I won't be able to build the carcass at evening class on Tuesday nite...

The plywood for the drawers is all cut to height and rebated for the bases but I can't cut front/back/sides to length until the carcass is done.

In between I am dismantling an old oak (?English) desk for various bits and pieces. I usually take some of that along to class in case I have to wait for the teacher or to use the machinery. My next project from that will be some frames for portraits of my daughter taken just before her 1st birthday. They cost a bomb and have been sitting in a filing cabinet for well over 2y :B...

Wendy have you built the whole house or just done a laundry reno? I have seen some pics of your shed - if you want the electrics and walls finished maybe you should turn the shed party into a working bee?

Steph

Fox3
7th June 2007, 04:32 PM
These days just pens.

I'll be glad when we get out of the apartment and I can indulge myself in the 1001 projects I have in mind :) and get everything out of the closet and use it again!

Clean up here is just too big a job :(. Without a serious dust collection system and outfitting all the tools for it, it is an ungodly mess. Yes, I tried it a while back and am still cleaning up :C. The little pen lathe I can keep up with using a home made hood and the shop vac, so I am not completely crippled :D.

Nice to see that folks here are involved in useful and fun projects! I envy you!

Take care, Vikki.

lubbing5cherubs
7th June 2007, 05:11 PM
Me is packing by day and playing at night. But shoot name you hoard gear don't you. Like I lost everything 2 years ago to fire so from then it just pure hoardom. Amazing how quick it re-cumilates so we are having a major chuck. (NO WOOD THOUGH) that not clutter that important part of life:D . Hubby told me I can do upstairs and he will do my shed. I told him to take a hike. I have nothing:oo: The barbecue would be fire up on pen blanks. So that what I am doing. I am so looking forward to moving into our house and having a proper shed set up. Not that it too bad now but in the coast it cooler most of the year around even on there hot days nothign like we got so I can play all year around.
Anyway that the projects I am not working on. Not fun but got to be done. I am also working on getting 30 pens out for a sale. So taht fun.
Toni

flynnsart
7th June 2007, 11:08 PM
At the moment I am busy planing seconhand hardwood joists to size to put up in the house we are building. Slow work, and stopping constantly.....hey check out this peice isnt it beautiful...hey no... its for the house....no...you cant have it to play with...yes I know it will make a nice table.....leave it....:p

Also am working on a model of the house, so I know what to do next.

Am looking forward to moving into it, and out of this shed, so this shed can be the workshop. Cant wait to have a workshop with a cement floor.

Donna

kekemo
8th June 2007, 02:28 AM
NOT HAPPY:( :( :(
....yep I'm locked out the shed for about 4 weeks, Doctors orders, like to tell him where to shove them BUT have too listen....it's terrible....& its only day 2......what am I going to do????????

Yep I am going to go nuts aren't I?????
Just a little major reconstruction....not allowed to lift! $#$%@#**:((

But, have two screens cut out ready to glue, really don't think that's lifting......might be able to do that next week, have a set of draws ready to sand back....:cool: :rolleyes:

and to make it all worse..... had the electricain in last monday and have 6 new power points in there too!
Haven't even used them yet!
Hey Dingo, I have a shed with lots of wood, lots of power points, and lots of free space..........and no bugger is going to get in there either....
LOL....unless it's me!.....How's that thicknesser.....he he he:2tsup:

I AM GOING TO GO NUTS.....SO PLEASE LOTS OF STORIES....
I need to read heaps about woodwork....
Have worn the covers of my good books already....
sob sob sob sob sob sob sob sob sob sob

missing my shed!........... & missing sh...ED! Either way I say it, hurts!

spring
8th June 2007, 03:44 PM
I'm a little intimidated and envious :D, while I work on mainly decorative dust catchers, you ladies are mostly working on functional, useful items.
I guess that's what makes us all unique, it's been great reading about what you're all doing:)

Kekemo I feel for you being locked out of your shed for so long, that would drive me bonkers too. I'm a bit antsy at the moment with all this rain and cold weather. I can go out into the garage where my scroll saw is, but it is just too damn cold, the garage is unheated. :( Do you knit, crochet, do needlework,puzzles???? Should I duck after asking that question??

jaspr
8th June 2007, 06:31 PM
I've got to finish a linen cupboard that's still a pile of cut sheets on the bench ... I need the bl**dy bench back!

Just finished a rosewood box with slding lid - now starting on a bandsaw box from a block of coachwood.

During the week made a few joinery check gauges (small laminated blocks with sliding pins to check for square) - very neat.

Also putting some more finish on a Vic ash step stool I made earlier in the year.

jas

Big Shed
8th June 2007, 06:39 PM
I've got to finish a linen cupboard that's still a pile of cut sheets

Excuse the pun.......................:rolleyes:

RufflyRustic
8th June 2007, 09:51 PM
Wendy have you built the whole house or just done a laundry reno? I have seen some pics of your shed - if you want the electrics and walls finished maybe you should turn the shed party into a working bee?

Steph

Hi Steph,

Hubby and I bought a Queenslander house that had been de-queenslanded and now it's a style-less wooden house as it, I can't decide it is should still be considered a queenslander, or a post-war home or what. It's been renovated before, but in bits and pieces. Hubby and I still wonder at why on earth they painted the bathroom ceiling with flat paint, and only put one coat on another couple of ceilings:?

The Laundry used to be away from the house, but over time, the house got built on to and now the Laundry is attached to the house. The old hot water system decided to turn the L into a swimming pool at the end of Janurary, so that's when I decided not to miss such an opportunity and start renovating, at least one room in the house :rolleyes: . It's taken me 5 years of living in the house to figure out some wall colours and how I want to renovate/redesign some of the rooms. It's gonna be a long and slow renovation, but at least I'll have things the way I want them.

As for a working bee - I thought of that too :) , but decided I'd rather celebrate than work. :D

cheers
Wendy

ozwinner
8th June 2007, 09:57 PM
Come on girls, we need pictures.

Al :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
8th June 2007, 10:10 PM
Kekemo - what the heck did you do Girl????? :? It doesn't sound very good. Have you had a good look through all of Groggy's Startup Weblinks? Maybe that will give you some interesting reading ??

Fox3 - I so now appreciate not having a shed, or a work area. I have just survived 3-4 months without any serious woodwork as the work area was filled with my gear. HWMNBO was exceedingly glad when the new shed was at lockup stage and I could start work on it. He was very glad to see the cranky woodwork-deprived person disappear :rolleyes: (so was I actually :- )

Toni - and I thought I was addicted to woodwork :D :D :D Good luck with the packing and moving....

Spring - nothing wrong with dustcatchers. Some of us were meant to make dustcatchers and some of us (ok me!) couldn't make a dustcatcher to save myself. It also depends on what you define as a dustcatcher :) I make nearly anything that comes to mind, as the muse directs me or as the wood talks to me or if I need something in the shed, house or as a gift.

As I can't do any woodwork at night, I tend to swap between a few other handcrafts - cross stitch, ribbon weaving, occaisionally knitting and leather work and plaiting. I also keep an Ideas notebook beside my chair so I can actually keep some notes rather than forget some good ideas.

Cheers
Wendy

spring
8th June 2007, 10:29 PM
Hey Wendy I do the same at night, crocheting babies clothes, dog blankets and jackets, & cross stitch, clothes and blankets go to charity, cross stitch I usually keep. :D

s_m
9th June 2007, 12:04 AM
As I can't do any woodwork at night

Huh?

I have just come inside from the garage having done a test panel of casting resin with brickie's black oxide to fill holes and gum veins in my recycled Blackbutt (see pic).

It's damned cold here and super windy (so no frosts) - apparent temps at our closest BOM weather station have hovered between 0-5 all day.

The last two days all my garage sessions I've been wearing thermals under my jeans and woolly socks (and ugg boots if I'm not sanding) plus several warm layers under my dust coat, plus scarf and beanie. Fashionista I am not :D!

Schedule for the weekend is to sand the test panel and put on a coat of danish oil tomorrow. If this looks ok then I will be filling all the carcass panels on Sunday and sanding on Monday nite and Tuesday morning...

Wendy Our laundry reno done the week my daughter was due (bloody tradies) was prompted by our washing machine turning the laundry into a swimming pool the previous year. We now have a floor waste and have sold the offending appliance to an unsuspecting buyer :B!

Steph

lubbing5cherubs
9th June 2007, 12:56 AM
Yep Steph it came in cold here. I even set a heater up down the lathe room tonight but watching that no wood chips get into it. Miserable wind that just goes through you. But had to get cold here. This weekend show weekend can always guarantee it get freezing. We even had Ice in our taps this morning and Ice on our windscreens of our car. Makes you want to stay in bed.
Toni

flynnsart
9th June 2007, 01:57 PM
Sock guards will stop the sawdust falling in your uggies:p Horrible windy cold day here today, still trying to convince myself that it is a good idea to go outside and do the last day of work on my joists! Will post some pics later of my works in progress.

Donna

flynnsart
9th June 2007, 04:24 PM
Here they are. One is the model partly completed for my house. One is a stool started a long time ago (red cedar), and has been gathering cobwebs, and the other is a bed I have started for my son (ironbark and bluegum).

Fox3
9th June 2007, 04:47 PM
Today I made tools rather than pens. I really needed to do something like that, feels great.

Had a great time doing it even with the restricted tools available and working out the specifics on the fly! Best yet I got some tools that make life easier. Not beautiful stuff but the stuff helps me make beautiful stuff :rolleyes:.

Cleaning up the mess and repacking tools is going to be the big job though. Dust in, on and all over everything, but worth it :D! Amazes me that this small a project can generate that much! SO looking forward to a real workshop.

If anyone is interested, pix at: http://wrlabs.shacknet.nu/~vw/MyMachineShop/ (http://wrlabs.shacknet.nu/%7Evw/MyMachineShop/)

Currently the top project.

Take care, Vikki (basking in the glow).

kekemo
9th June 2007, 04:50 PM
Hey, great we're getting some comments flying around in here...yes Spring, :D fancy thinking anything could lull me into a false sense after being locked out the woodshed....well of course your right though I dont think there would be too many of us that aren't multi talented...:2tsup:
I actually have the unique combination of my sewing & woodwork combine, folding screens & putting lovely material inserts into much of my woodwork helps keep craft & woodwork balanced. Of course the whole idea of woodwork was to decorate my home Country Cottage Style, so you can invisage the other crafts that help with the final decor style..
I am recovering from reconstructive surgery, when Ed was dying I did a lot of lifting on an already dickie hip, but seems all full steam ahead as long as I really let it recover... NO .... NONE ....NOT ANY ...lifting for at least a month....HARD HARD...thinking too too hard...
Ok limited time on here now...have to keep messages small so i can read all the other posts.......:q

spring
9th June 2007, 05:26 PM
I truly admire the dedication and love of woodworking that you all display by going out and working in cold miserable rainy weather :2tsup:

Kekemo- I wish you a speedy and full recovery, the month will be over before you know it. I like your reason for getting into woodwork :)

flynnsart- nice pics, I especially like the model

I've attached a pic of the black forest clock I'm working on. It's a pic of a dry fit, I've since stained parts of it chestnut

lubbing5cherubs
9th June 2007, 09:56 PM
Just beautiful. Makes me want to get my old GMC scroll saw and learn to do taht. IT beautiful. Spring you and your scroll saw are definitely talking the same language. Gorgeous
Toni

flynnsart
9th June 2007, 11:17 PM
Such a wide variety of different interests all surrounding woodcraft, what a talented bunch of forumites!

Donna

kekemo
10th June 2007, 02:18 AM
Going looking for a Gallery!:rolleyes:

Well cant get down the darn sh...ED!
So thinking of going looking for Shearing Shed..... that's the only way that I can see to getting my own Gallery.......Find a farmer that wants to lease the un-used Shearing Shed.........has to have main road frontage though......looking in the "Wheat belt" anywhere from Boddington to Albany..... so if you know of anything or anyone let me know....

Then I am going to have to build up a list of woodworking freeks like me...the imagination boggles....:B

just in the planning stages...but think we can make this work....
Use the shearing shed as a workshop /gallery viewing area behind perspex & Gallery area.....
Perhaps a dream that will take some months or maybe a year to get there.
Of course sponsorship from Farming or Machinery companies would be bloody fantastic....putting some idea's on paper to present when I find a place....its a dream but dreams have to start somewhere.
Any one else done it yet?
Let me know if you have seen or hear of it anywhere.
Only day 4, 3 weeks & 3 days left!.......
Shaking badly already......byyyyyyyyyyeee:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
10th June 2007, 01:43 PM
I know I could never work and have a gallery my work area gets to messy for veiwings
Toni

flynnsart
10th June 2007, 01:59 PM
Steph did you sand and oil your test board yet with the filler? Am interested to see how it came out.

Kekimo sounds like a good idea if you dont mind people watching you work/play, I know having an audience turns me into a disorganised ten thumbed idiot:doh:

Donna

s_m
10th June 2007, 02:54 PM
Yes I did - I posted pics in the Finishing forum here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=525563&postcount=16).

I'm working on getting all the panels flat (was a tad blase about biscuiting) with a couple of 1mm offsets in the butt joints it was taking ages with the sander. Have borrowed a plane now and hoping to get it done this arvo so I can fill tonite.

How long is it acceptable for to park 3yo in front of kiddie videos while I do woodwork :B?

Steph

RufflyRustic
10th June 2007, 07:53 PM
Here's what I was working on today. A shelf/coat rack for the laundry. It is indeed, good ole radiata pine, but it's got some birdseye through it, which will match the other birdseye pine I'd like to use on the corner cupboard doors.

Cheers
Wendy

spring
10th June 2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks again Toni, I highly recommend getting out the scroll saw, they're great fun :D

Rain finally stopped today so I was able to cut out a rim and handle for the basket I'm working on. I'll post a dry fit picture tomorrow.

DakotaGurl
11th June 2007, 11:03 AM
Going looking for a Gallery!:rolleyes:

Well cant get down the darn sh...ED!
So thinking of going looking for Shearing Shed..... that's the only way that I can see to getting my own Gallery.......Find a farmer that wants to lease the un-used Shearing Shed.........has to have main road frontage though......looking in the "Wheat belt" anywhere from Boddington to Albany..... so if you know of anything or anyone let me know....

Then I am going to have to build up a list of woodworking freeks like me...the imagination boggles....:B

just in the planning stages...but think we can make this work....
Use the shearing shed as a workshop /gallery viewing area behind perspex & Gallery area.....
Perhaps a dream that will take some months or maybe a year to get there.
Of course sponsorship from Farming or Machinery companies would be bloody fantastic....putting some idea's on paper to present when I find a place....its a dream but dreams have to start somewhere.
Any one else done it yet?
Let me know if you have seen or hear of it anywhere.
Only day 4, 3 weeks & 3 days left!.......
Shaking badly already......byyyyyyyyyyeee:2tsup:

First let me say hello and that I admire your work and ideas. In 2005 I took a six week program in fine furniture design and building at a school in Almonte Ontario, RoseWood Studio. Unfortunately last week I received an e-mail advising that the school was no longer in operation, not exactly sure what happened but I do know that the director of the school went through a divorce and the closing was possibly associated with that. :no:
When I was there I had the pleasure of working with a part time instructor by the name of Andy Woods, he mentioned that he was working on an idea of opening a working shop/studio in the downtown section of Almonte. The community is very artistic with stone masons, glass works, weaving, theater, etc.

Last year my HWMBO and I took a trip to the east coast and on our return trip took the northern route home and went through Almonte ( I wanted to show him the school that I attended and let him experience the community that I called home for a short time). As we walked down the main street together I heard my name called out by a familiar voice, it was Andy. He had made his dream a reality and opened Woods & Co Millworks. Together with four other artists he has created a prosperous business, they have a community bench room where the public can view the artists at work (or drinking coffee :D ) and a very well equipped power tool room partitioned off for safety reasons. He has clients leave completed work in the front of the shop to attract interest and possible future clients. Since I visited last year he has closed that shop and moved to Ottawa, the capital of Ontario. Another interesting aspect that he has incorporated is the idea of renting bench space to folks that would like to have use of the machine room and a bench, this is for folks that do not have the space or resources for their own shop.

I think your idea has a lot of potential, having like minded people together enhances the creative spirit. If you or another artist runs into a roadblock, it is much easier to work through it collectively. If I was in your area I would jump at the opportunity to work with you. I will attach Andy's website so that you can have a look. If you contact Andy tell him that Heather from the Chicago area says hi.
http://woodsages.com/

Heather

PS Listen to your doctor, one month is not that long considering that it could be a pain for the rest of your life. :2tsup:

kekemo
11th June 2007, 12:28 PM
Well 3rd time lucky....not typing anything now as have lost it three times already.............*^*&%^&%*:doh:
LOL.....LOL.....LOL at my self......one day I will wake up & smell the roses...

Well what a great start to the day..........:D
Yep its day 6....only 3 week & 1 day to go....
As I'm banded thought that I would get photo of messy sh..ED...for my screen saver, at least makes me feel like I'm in the shed...looks like my mind...that's messy too sometimes...workshop is usually lovely & clean....its the perfect time to show it...NOT allow to clean up.......what...can I use that excuse again...???...I wonder!
Have some other great pictures of the 6 new power points that I want to send to Dingo.....make your day mate!...Oh how horrid of me...LOL

Don't worry Dingo..think that I will start picking on some of these Tassie boys....need some friend that can tell me where to go when I get there...!

:cool: Firstly thanks Wendy.....yes it worked, had to try it several times when I realized the size had to be reduced under the 100kb....that line I will remember......LOL

:cool: Now, Heather your message was again inspirational....I know this will work, just take some time to get organized......& may be more $'s than I can manage just yet, but that why its a dream.......I am going to keep working at it until it comes a reality.......haven't looked at the sites you gave yet, as soon as I finish this I will do.............:2tsup:

cheers to all thanks for the help..kerry alias KEKEMO

jaspr
11th June 2007, 03:34 PM
I truly admire the dedication and love of woodworking that you all display by going out and working in cold miserable rainy weather

At these latitudes you need some form of heat. I've got an old pot belly stove. It's nice and toasty, when I need it. :p :p (Just not when I'm doing any finishing, for safety reasons).

jas

RufflyRustic
11th June 2007, 08:45 PM
Great photos Kerry :) :2tsup: That's a well-setup workshop you've got.

Heather - very interesting story. Andy's two sites are amazing!!

Jas - I was going to put an old wood stove into my shed, but, wait for it..... it would take up too much room :ROTFL:

Steph - I think it is ok to 'park a 3 y/o in front of the telly' for as long as they will stay there :rolleyes:

Cheers
Wendy

spring
11th June 2007, 10:39 PM
Wendy I like your shelf/coat rack, did you design it?

Jaspr I would love a pot belly stove in my garage, but like Wendy, I'm running out of room.

Here's a dry fit pic of the basket, I've now got 3 projects waiting to be glued, I'll pick some up at the show on Friday

kekemo
12th June 2007, 02:12 AM
Come now Wendy...my sh...ED is a mess...
Hate to tell you this your only seeing 1/4 of it!:2tsup:

The photo's looking down the left hand side of half the shed, there is another complete section on the other side....I have the best shed....double brick/double garage, roller doors, ceiling, overhead dust extractors, aircon for summer, windows, security alarms & monitors, Patio shelter to main house with 10 metres more patio to another double garage that has complete Packs of wood in there too....I am currently looking for a coffee bar....so I don't have to stop & make coffee when friend come over....LOL its true though.. Oh also extending on the back, another 12 x 22 brick extention going on asap. I've got rid of the garden shed that was there, now clearing it ready to do footing.....

Some folk think that the security seems far fetched, but the $'s of equipment are too valueable to risk........the decibels the alarm rings out would wake the dead.......well not actually tried that.....Ed didn't wake up at all, think he's up in the tool shed in the sky, making all the tools BLUNT!

Might say I am a woodnut....:q

Try really hard to make friends with like minded people...so they don't keep me from my work rather they join me and make their own stuff... its the best way..

Thinking I should rent the house out, move the computer down the shed...would be great....

Actually hoping I could meet that anonymous that keeps giving stuff away, would like to be his/her friend....who wouldn't???

Guess he/she is a bit like the Phantom....just our luck he/she would wear there undies on the outside....or dress in tight pants....LOL
Someone has to flush him out of the Jungle....

Ok, thank again for the help...your going to get flooded with photos now...
Found a lovely photo of Ed in some of my old snaps, actually uploaded it on my site tonight...
Keep working everyone....our pages are increasing....
still counting down....nearly only 3 weeks left...
cheers........KEKEMO:cool:
Pictures
Power point for Dingo...just had 5 doubles fitted...LOL sorry mate...
Woodstack No1 legs of units...
Woodstack No2 ... taking from the middle of pack, sorry candle holders in view, but this is wood for the screens....Pack should make me over 20 screens....
YUMMY .......

s_m
12th June 2007, 09:20 AM
Kekemo I am so jealous of your shed :)!

the decibels the alarm rings out would wake the dead.......well not actually tried that.....Ed didn't wake up at all

I think you have a similar sense of humour to me. My Other Half has been a quadriplegic for 7y and someone on a parenting forum asked recently what did our hubbies do for a living and my reply was "sits around on his ar$se all day and doesn't lift a finger to help himself" :U... I then added info about his real work :).

Wendy LOL at the TV comment :U. Managed to offload her to a neighbour yesterday so I could get friendly with some polyester resin (and my organics mask) - she played with their 3yo and got taken to visit another neighbour who has chickens so came home with some lovely fresh eggs.

Posted some update pics in my WIP thread on the Photos forum. Have to get 3yo ready for preschool then I can venture out to the stinky garage with my fingers crossed that the resin has cured enough to sand.

Steph

spring
12th June 2007, 09:31 AM
Kekemo you have a truly magnificent shed, now I understand why you're chomping at the bit to get back in there :D

s_m
13th June 2007, 11:24 AM
Glued up two oak picture frames last night. Milled the timber from an old desk and my class teacher ducked home to get his picture framing clamp for me - :2tsup: to him! They are destined for some very expensive professional shots we had done of 3yo just before her first birthday - have been consigned to the filing cabinet for over 2y now :B.

Also glued the last panel for my TV cabinet - this one will be for the three drawer fronts.

Didn't get the carcass panels sanded in time to build the cabinet - the polyester resin took over 24h to cure due to the cold. It had only just gone hard enough to consider sanding by 4pm yesterday and that was after standing the panels in direct sun for 6h.

Seeing as I now have another week up my sleeve I have filled all the holes in the back (inside) of each panel with Polyfilla. Several of the planks have lovely fiddleback grain but there is a bit of tearout ?from the timber yard's thicknesser so instead of using filler I rubbed some sawdust/PVA mix into those.

Will get some more pics when the fog clears :D. There was a heavy frost here today (Bureau minimum -5.3* at our nearest weather station) and it's still only 3* outside...

Steph

spring
13th June 2007, 11:19 PM
Got my first pieces of real wood delivered yesterday, I think I've practiced enough with ply, time to start scrolling with the real stuff. :D

I've cut 4 frog puzzles, testing out different woods, to see how they cut and finish, 4 or 5 more to go. Will put some pics of these up soon.

Wood show tickets arrived today, didn't think they would arrive in time,had me worried for a bit.:oo:

kekemo
16th June 2007, 04:16 AM
Shake a leg ladies....we're slowing up.....
what no messagers....come now...
:oo:

Surely we have stuff to write about....
I need to come back from the brink....
Too many...just too many tears lately....:(
I need to read some good emails!

I really don't think anything more could go wrong....
Well I'm spitting in the wind...so it seems...
keeps hitting me back in the face & I'm ready for a break!

Wonder if you would like to hear what my Angel did....

You see, I sent my Angel to look over Spring while she was sleep.......the Angel came back & told me that Spring was sweet, gentle & cute...... YES ... I slapped that little Angel & said "You stupid little Angel you've gone to the wrong bloody house then!"

So, lets see if that's got us moving again, gets cold when we stay still in there....those peeping toms wont have anything to complain about missing if we don't start chatting.....
Alright...you've all been out in your shed's too much this week....NO ONES CHATTING.....to me............
Come in you woodworking daisy's smell the roses....I need lots of saw dust...not bull dust, just saw dust...
And fancy you getting wood to play with Spring...M-S you've been doing heaps too.....Wendy....My darksister....send me some good/wood words...
Miss you all...:2tsup:
Crying about my dog....

The messages from the forum...have just been overwhelming....I don't think that I've cried so much in a long time....I am just so sorry that you didn't all know my ED. or our beautiful big pup,Tokey,..but then you would all be crying heaps too, thanks everyone!

RufflyRustic
16th June 2007, 08:56 AM
Hi Kerry,

As funny as it sounds, I'm really glad to hear you are able to cry and let out all those emotions. I'm a firm believer that internalising high emotions causes lots of negative and bad stuff in us. So, keep doing what you are doing. I just may have to award my own self-imposed title of "Queen of Tissues" :wink: :)

If you feel like you are absolutely had it with crying and it's aftereffects but you feel the need to continue, maybe this will help. Set a timer for 15 minutes. Go for broke and fill buckets in 15 minutes, but when that time stops, you stop or rather ease it down.

When the timer sounds, go freshen up, and then do something completely and utterly different, something that is positive and makes you just that little bit happier than before.

It's like setting a marking point in your head that helps hold your heart together, like "it's ok heart you can feel your fullest, but I'm here to look out for you and today you can have your cake, but only piece by piece, I'm not going to let you overload today". You may find one session is not enough. That's fine, set the time again and go for it. The point is to put a line down and say, I need to let it all out, but I want to balance that with this....

And as for something positive, a good start is, I have air to breathe, today is a good day. The sun is shining, today is a good day. Normally I'd suggest some woodwork time, but instead, how about planning something to build for yourself, just for yourself and no one else, not to sell. How about making a dark box for yourself to be the 'focal point' of those dark and sad, even angry feelings. Put the dark box somewhere not too obvious, write notes, put them in the box and later, whether it's days, weeks, months, have a ceremonial burning and get rid of them. Then, get rid of the box as you don't need to have it aroud anymore.

I did this. I had the worst time dealing with being head juror on a case last year. I ended up making alovely box, but it was very dark. Of course I called it my DarkTime box, but it worked for me. I could direct all my negative thoughts and emotions at this box and it helped me to work through them and get rid of them. I left it on the kitchen servery and after about 5-6 months, I ended up selling it to someone who is 'darker' than me but it suited them perfectly.

You will get through this time Kerry, yes it's soul wrenchingly deep and hard, but it will pass. Don't deny it (you're not) keep facing it and then balance it with something personally good and nice for you.

Now, You'd better PM your address. It sounds like you might appreciate one of my leather-covered notebooks as a journal or maybe a woodworking ideas book for yourself :)

cheers
Wendy

flynnsart
16th June 2007, 11:04 PM
Well I am still busy planing and sanding and sanding and planing recycled hardwood floor joists. Gave the dog a heart attack yesterday:rolleyes: Have done so much time on the electric hand plane lately which turns off as soon as you release the pressure on the trigger, forgot that the belt sander doesnt. Accidently pulled too far and the power cord came undone, left sander on wood, plugged it back in and of course it started off on its own accord full speed ahead down the beam and on to the ground straight at the dog :doh: , poor thing thought it was after him and took off in a hell of a hurry!

spring
17th June 2007, 11:44 AM
[quote=kekemo;528891]Shake a leg ladies....we're slowing up.....
what no messagers....come now...
:oo:

Wonder if you would like to hear what my Angel did....

You see, I sent my Angel to look over Spring while she was sleep.......the Angel came back & told me that Spring was sweet, gentle & cute...... YES ... I slapped that little Angel & said "You stupid little Angel you've gone to the wrong bloody house then!"

:? :? :? :?
spring is confused

s_m
17th June 2007, 11:31 PM
Hi all,

Donna I can so relate to the sanding and sanding and sanding that hardwood requires! Glad you missed the dog :D.

I had a few hiccups with my project but am now chugging along full steam thanks to a day of fine weather and a borrowed belt sander :D - have posted some pics in my TV cabinet WIP (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=50553) thread.

Carcase building time on Tuesday nite - starting to plan the finer details of construction (rebate and stopped-dado joints) between now and then.

Any tips for getting boards approx 900x450 and 700x450 crosscut on a table saw so they are absolutely square?

Steph

spring
18th June 2007, 02:43 PM
Went to the working with wood show, seemed to be a lot of empty spaces there, bought some glue, sandpaper, blade clamps, & pull saw.

Finally started to glue up the clock and baskets, oiled the baskets, (wish I hadn't, they looked better raw :( ) now need to cut some support blocks for inside the clock.

flynnsart
18th June 2007, 06:35 PM
Steph just make sure you mark your front face and work from there for both your cross cuts, as your edges may not be perfectly parellel. I find it hard to manage the weight of hardwood panel glueups on the table saw and end up doing the cutting with the circular saw. Of course a sliding table on a table saw would be much easier. See if you can get someone to help you.

Donna

s_m
18th June 2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks heaps for that tip!

I'll be at class so the teacher is there to provide extra hands for handling stuff. I never even thought about using the circular saw - I think that might be my best bet for an accurate cut (with a fence clamped to the panel)?

No matter how hard I push I always end up with the side of the work coming away from the fence on the table saw...

I guess then I could use the circ saw for the rebate cuts at top and bottom of each side? Will probably use a router for the stopped dado.

Steph

spring
28th June 2007, 10:25 AM
Here are some of the frogs I've been testing out.
The woods are myrtle, ng rosewood, western red cedar and golden kauri

lubbing5cherubs
28th June 2007, 03:51 PM
Spring those frogs are cute. are they ornaments or do they have a purpose that I missed? but they do look adorable
Toni

flynnsart
28th June 2007, 06:08 PM
Lovely little frog puzzles! How big are they? Did you buy the pattern or design it yourself?

Donna

lubbing5cherubs
29th June 2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks Donna, Yeah they are jigsaw. Don't ask me how I missed that my eyes must been keeping an eye on a kid or something. PErhaps frozen in there sockets. It was 2 degrees yesterday morning here at 6am when my kids decided they wanted to get to see the ice on the windscreens of the cars. Brrr. Today don't seem to be as cold thank God. Check out the windscreen photos that was our cars yesterday morning. And I spent all day making the kids put back on there coats and shoes. Kids middle of 42 sdegree heat they want jeans and flaneletter shirts, come winter they want to get around in a singlet.:doh: :D
Toni

spring
29th June 2007, 10:03 AM
The frogs are 6.5cm's tall, the pattern came from the book, Scroll Saw Scandanavian patterns and projects.

My reason for cutting these puzzles is to see how different woods cut on the scroll saw and trying out different blades. To date I've mainly been cutting plywood which cuts easily.
I'm learning just how differently each species (is that the right word?) does cut. Some are a joy and some are just hard work.

I've got 4-5 more to do, which will give me a test of all the woods I currently have in my shed.