PDA

View Full Version : selling blanks?

weisyboy
10th June 2007, 07:22 PM
i have just bought a cs mill and was wondering about the price of turning blanks in the following timber types and weather it was worth trying to sell some.

camphor laurel
red ironbark
Grey ironbark
blood wood
spotty gum
Grey gum
???? gum (aka blood gum, sugar gum, crap gum)
spotty gum
tallow wood
stringy bark
wattle
and mango

just a rough estimate would be great

soundman
10th June 2007, 09:58 PM
Aaarrr..... mate its hard to put a price on craft timber.

Lots of turners ar e realy tight and are don't part with their cash easily and will only buy if its real cheap if at all.

then ther are the minority that will pay very good money for "The right piece of timber"

lots of the spiceies you are talking about are either common or ordinary.

its realy not a reliable market in any way & the profitability will always be marginal.

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th June 2007, 10:01 PM
:whs:

Jedo_03
10th June 2007, 10:05 PM
true enough, Soundman...
of recent, there've been a few posts here from good folks GIVING BLANKS AWAY... free, gratis, come-and-get-it...
Now all we need is a few good-minded forumites to offer us some SLABS baksheesh...
cheers
Jedo

powderpost
10th June 2007, 11:05 PM
A friend of mine was a professional timber cutter up until world heritage closed him down. He had a shed full of exquisite pieces pieces and tried to sell them to woodworkers. Much of it he used himself mostly because as others have said, woodworkers are a tight fisted bunch. Half the pleasure of wood crafting is the hunting down of wood.
Jim

weisyboy
11th June 2007, 09:57 AM
I've done the maths and if i can get $1 / sqft (my maths aint good but i think thats $10.50/ sqm) for 2" slabs i can make a profit. thats $6/cubic foot ($200/cubic meter) i think.

thats seasoned and cut to whatever size is needed