PDA

View Full Version : Help for tuning Record A151 spokeshave

sam63
15th August 2003, 08:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I am a new a member and a beginner. I have just received a Record A151 spoke shave, which ,I have been told, needs fine tuning before I can use it. I had the similar problem with my Record Blokeplane as well. I appreaciate if someone explains to me in a structured way how to finetune a spokeshave. In addition, any recommendation regarding the polishing of round face spekeshave will be highly appreciated. Many thanks.

Sam

derekcohen
16th August 2003, 03:39 AM
Sam

Think of a spokeshave as a short plane and you will get the right idea. Actually, sharpening the blade of a spokeshave is not as critical as that of a plane (the blade does not need to match the mouth as closely). Sharpening the blade is tricky. I do it freehand. For Spokeshaves I prefer using diamond stones since I can hold the blade at an angle and use my finger as a fence along the edge of the stone, running the blade edge first (as if you were ruling a line along the edge of a board). Does the A151 have a convex blade? In which case you may need to sharpen it with sandpaper wrapped around the shaft of a screwdriver or drill bit.

Set up the blade with a depth of cut just far enough to take a light cut. Any more than this and you will find that it will chatter on the timber. Conversely, if the blade chatters, reduce the depth of cut.

I hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

sam63
18th August 2003, 08:34 AM
Hi Derek,

Thanks for the valuable advise. It is very much appreciated. I have two Record spokeshaves, flat and round sole ones. I have also been told that as in normal planes, the spokeshave itself needs to be tuned as well as the blade, such lapping the sole, putting an extra layer of material (eg. brass, epoxy, etc) underneath the blade to close the gap between the blade and the mouth. I talked to Woordworking tool guys down in Sydney, and they said that I need this padding, otherwise I will get chattering problem. Frankly, I am a bit confused. They never tell you this before they sell the product. I appreacite if you could provide your expert opinion once more.

Regards,
Sam

derekcohen
19th August 2003, 04:17 AM
Sam

All the things you mention will indeed improve the cut of your spokeshave. Again, it is much the same thing as tuning up a plane - the smaller the mouth (gap between blade and base) the finer the cut. If you want to hog out big chunks, open the mouth. I'm sure that is not what you desire, however.

You do not need to go to the extreme lengths of "padding" to get good performance. Just sharpen the blade and set it for a fine cut, as I mentioned before. If you are interested in taking it to real extremes (!), below is an extract from Fine Woodworking (Oct, 2002).

Regards from Perth

Derek

sam63
19th August 2003, 08:39 AM
Derek,

Thanks very much for the detail information, particulary the scanned image. I'll try without going into extreme as you recomended. Do you have any suggestion polishing the sole of a round face spokeshave. I suppose what I am after is an easy way out.

Regards,
Sami

derekcohen
20th August 2003, 02:42 AM
Sam

I do not think that the rounded sole of a spokeshave can be compared to the flat sole of a spokeshave or plane. A rounded sole is simply intended to cut tighter inside curves. So you do not need to be concerned about changing the curviture. Just sand it smooth.

Polish it with wet-and-dry sandpaper, with grits up to 600. I would retract the blade (but leave it in), fasten the spokeshave in a vise, then sand with wet paper held as if you were polishing a shoe (hold the sandpaper by its ends).

Regards from Perth

DErek

sam63
20th August 2003, 08:36 AM
Derek,

Thank you very much for sharing your expertiese. I'll get to work as you suggested. I have one more question if I may. I have been following your replies particulary on issues related to planing. I know in number of occasion you recomended not to buy new Stanley or Record planes. I'd like to buy a smoothing plane (e.g No: 4 or 5 ). However, I am a beginner, and I can not justify spending money on Lee Nielsen or Clifton. I also do not have your expertiese to shop for an old Stanley or Record, because I am not sure what to look for. Now is the my question. How bad is current Stanley or Record smoothing plane?

Regards,
Sam