PDA

View Full Version : Long shot ... anyone got issue 70 of Woodturning mag?

rsser
12th June 2007, 03:57 PM
It has a comparative test of sharpening systems by Farrance that I'm keen to read.

Any obsessive mag hoarders out there?

Would've been published some time in the 90s at a guess.

Tornatus
12th June 2007, 11:08 PM
G'day Ern

We (ACT Woodwork Guild) are currently rationalising our magazine holdings in our library, and are in the process of disposing of a lot of mags which are surplus to requirements, having sent complete sets off to be bound for preservation. Next time I'm down there I'll have a look for you - if we don't have a spare copy, I could scan the article for you and email it.

rsser
13th June 2007, 09:05 AM
That'd be terrific Tornatus. Many thanks.

Ray153
13th June 2007, 10:06 PM
While not wishing to own up to being the sort of person deserving of the title "obsessive magazine hoarder", I just happened to find this magazine on the footpath the other day while out delivering free soup to hte homeless...... Yes, they'll believe that, its possible........ :no:

It has been bugging me for a few days, wondering, is it possible....... Can I live with the shame????? Should I????? Do I actually have it??????

Enough blathering about. Get to the point. Yes, Rsser, I do have that particular mag, it is the December, 98 one and I have scanned the relevant pages.

However, being the computer nuffie that I am, I cannot work out how to reduce it in size below 7.25 mb as a zip file. If you pm me, I can put it into an email for you if you wish.

Hope this helps

Wishing there was some way to remain incognito.....

Ray

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2007, 10:13 PM
Ray, never fear, help is at hand. Just forward them onto me and your obsession will no longer be a problem. :thyel:

Hopefully it'd fill a few holes in my collection... and enable me to replace the ones that aren't readable due to unidentifiable workshop stains. :rolleyes:

rsser
13th June 2007, 10:35 PM
That'd be great Ray.

No of course we're not obsessive. That 1973 copy of CycleWorld I refuse to recycle is an essential reference :- When I finally donate it to the State Library they'll love me for it :U

PM sent.

Do you use Outlook for emails? Mine won't cope with anything over a meg. Well, it will, it just keeps sending copies. Recipients love it, not.

Cliff Rogers
13th June 2007, 11:42 PM
....Do you use Outlook for emails? Mine won't cope with anything over a meg. Well, it will, it just keeps sending copies. Recipients love it, not.

What virus buster program do you use?
That sounds like a problem I have seen with Trend PCcillin & MS Outlook.

Groggy
13th June 2007, 11:45 PM
What virus buster program do you use?
That sounds like a problem I have seen with Trend PCcillin & MS Outlook.I had the same problem with the same configuration.

rsser
14th June 2007, 08:07 AM
We talked about this last year. Seem to recall it still happened with Pc-cillin off but I'll try it anyway. Thanks.

Sebastiaan56
14th June 2007, 08:22 AM
We regularly send 4mb files using Outlook Express and Trend, there is however one machine that bogs, that one uses the full Outlook.

Try Thunderbird,

Sebastiaan

Cliff Rogers
14th June 2007, 10:03 AM
Problem is with Outlook & Trend, doesn't happen with Outlook Express & Trend or Outlook & AVG.

reeves
14th June 2007, 10:30 AM
dunno about 70 Ern, they are up to 174 now. IN the last year there have been a few tests of the sharpening variety me thinks..the review of the new Sorby sharpener was pretty hot..

reeves
14th June 2007, 10:34 AM
However, being the computer nuffie that I am, I cannot work out how to reduce it in size below 7.25 mb as a zip file. If you pm me, I can put it into an email for you if you wish.

Ray

convert the scans to 72dpi .jpg format, resize them to a readable 1200 pixels or so, 'should give you a file size of about 200 k per image, maybe less, good for emailing.

Conversley make a PDF with web compression, should also be quite light..

have fun

GordRocks
14th June 2007, 03:23 PM
To send large files you could try:

http://www.wikifortio.com/

or

http://www.yousendit.com/

There are a number of other sites you can find through Google that could work for you.

.....Gord

Ray153
15th June 2007, 05:35 AM
Skew,
if you are interested in filling the gaps in your library, let me know what ones you are missing etc and I will see if I have them. Chances are most of mine would be from the latter 90's I think. I am sure we can come to an amicable arrangement.

R.

rsser
15th June 2007, 11:08 AM
Ray, many thanks for sending the pdfs.

FWIW, my interest in the sharpening test article came out of a discussion on the Sharpening sub-forum about the value of honing turning tools.

In the course of that, reading this test and Leonard Lee's book I've modified my thinking somewhat.

The Farrance test shows that wet grinding and honing a gouge compared to dry grinding produced a tool that cut longer and faster when spindle turning English ash and pine.

Dry grinding produced a tough burr that was v. difficult to remove with a slipstone.

That may be an advantage with end grain cutting but that wasn't tested.

Ray153
15th June 2007, 07:53 PM
Ern,
I had been following that thread and was having a small giggle when reading the Farrance article, cos it wasn't really supporting your contentions in that thread. Call it taking delight in someone elses misfortune if you like, but I was picturing you sitting there reading it and mentally cursing :doh: :no: :~ This doesnt help me win the argument with those know nothings at all........:wink:

Glad I could help. This has been a pretty good example of how you never know what resources are out there in the forum I guess. A bit scary in a way I think. No matter how arcane the request might be, there is probably a good chance someone has just the thing. Only question is are they willing to own up to possessing such a doohickey, shiny thing or reference book.

Ray

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th June 2007, 08:01 PM
if you are interested in filling the gaps in your library, let me know what ones you are missing etc and I will see if I have them. Chances are most of mine would be from the latter 90's I think. I am sure we can come to an amicable arrangement.

But that won't help you overcome your obsession now, will it? Just send me all you have... c'mon, you know you need to. :wink:

rsser
15th June 2007, 08:06 PM
Hi Ray,

yeah, well, hope I'm not too proud to learn, and I have learned always to go back to source.

So to sum up and reflect a bit:

I was unwarranted in my first claim that Aussie hardwoods would do in a honed blade in seconds.

The Farrance test was limited, and that was not mentioned by Lyn M in his article nor by Derek.

I was dead right in saying there were more variables than just a keen edge: namely, bevel shape, metallurgy, wood type/application (drawing here on Lee's bible). A sharp edge is a matter of both bevel shape and keen edge.

Lee's bible concludes its chapter on turning tools by saying that a book on the topic is needed.

My suggestion is that we need to look at face-plate turning variables. End-grain hollowing and bowl turning (which involves both end-grain and with-the-grain cutting) need to be studied.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th June 2007, 08:12 PM
The Farrance test shows that wet grinding and honing a gouge compared to dry grinding produced a tool that cut longer and faster when spindle turning English ash and pine.

This reminds me of another article I read, in the Aussie WT mag I think, written by a pom who'd moved over here. It went something along the lines of he'd done his apprenticeship in the UK as a copy turner and had always honed his tools, but on encountering Aussie woods he gave it away as just not practical.

Sadly, I don't remember who or when :- and, now that I think on it, it may've only been a "letter to the editor" type thing giving his views on the ever-popular sharpening debate, although I do recall his describing different tests in support of his opinion.

Hmmm... I can already see that this is going to give me a restless night until I flick through my library and actually find the damned thing. :( (Hope it wasn't in a mag I'd only borrowed! :oo:)

rsser
15th June 2007, 10:14 PM
... Skew, sleep easy.

So far we can all be economists ... on the one hand, but on the other ;-} All depends on what you factor in to the equation.

What kept me awake in the sharpening thread was the guru not engaging with the issues I raised.

Then I figured he has his experience and position and interests ... and I have, and continue to develop, mine.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th June 2007, 11:31 PM
So far we can all be economists ... on the one hand, but on the other ;-} All depends on what you factor in to the equation.

That's about it. :)

What kept me awake in the sharpening thread was the guru not engaging with the issues I raised.

What's niggling me isn't the fine points of sharpening, or any remotely related issues... it's the remembrance of something that had me intrigued enough to pay careful attention to it, yet not being able to recall anything beyond a vague, shadowy outline. For me it's one of those "tip of the tongue" type things that the subconscious will keep churning over...

I should get a life and give my subconscious something really meaty to work with instead. :wink:

Ray153
16th June 2007, 05:52 AM
[quote=Skew ChiDAMN!!;528681]This reminds me of another article I read, in the Aussie WT mag I think,

Just for the record, and to avoid any lingering thoughts that I am an obsessive hoarder, I don't have any of this particular magazine..........:no:

rsser
17th June 2007, 03:14 PM
btw, anyone else interested in reading the article, PM me.