PDA

View Full Version : Good Intentions But No Experience

tcolgan
15th August 2003, 06:21 PM
It appears my attachment was too large to be posted, so I have reformatted.

My origal message is repeated below.

If anyone could please give me some assistance it would be appreciated.

I am going about making my wife a jewellery box from Brazillian Mahogoney and want to carve the lid as per the attachment. I have no experience in carving, no tools and not an artistic bone in my body. Am I being over ambitious?

What do I do about learning how to carve and where should I go to get some good quality tools in Adelaide? I want to make this an extra special gift for our wedding aniversary, but I'd also like to take the art up as an interest.

Cheers
TIM

Charles Castle
16th August 2003, 09:18 PM
Tim,
Your project is ambitious but doable. Give yourself plenty of time.
MIK International will be able to sell you the necessary tools, and they can probably tell you where to get lessons.
About twenty five years ago I had lessons at one of the TAFE colleges, but I don't live in Adelaide anymore and don't know where you can get lessons.
A knife and a V tool will do most of what you want.
You will also need a fairly narrow flat gouge.
The most difficult part will be the roses.
I suggest practising on a piece of Brazilian Mahogany not part of the box first. Even better would be to carve the pattern on a piece of gelutong so you understand the difficult bits before you start on the box.
The type of carving you are planning will be intaglio, that is where the carving is done into the timber, as distinct from relief carving where the carving is raised from the wood and the background is removed, leaving a raised carving.
Your pattern is fantastic, but if I might be so bold as to make a suggestion veins in the leaves will make them more interesting, and not a lot more work.
If you would like to email me your phone number I will be happy to discuss it with you over the phone.
Good luck, and welcome to a fascinating craft.
Charles Castle

Desiree
27th August 2003, 05:48 PM
Hi Tim,

I am also very knew to woodcarving. I have had a lot of attempts. I have managed to finish a couple of projects and their not too bad. I found http://www.carvingpatterns.com to be a very helpfull site. Along with a few woodcarving books.

Good Luck!