PDA

View Full Version : my first piece

Muriel
13th June 2007, 12:12 AM
Hi there,

I got my lathe last friday and since sunday I'm learning to turn. :)

Boy, this is so much fun! :2tsup: (I'm learning with "basics of woodturning" from Mike Darlow.) And after making a waste piece which covered several lessons - from roughing out to (almost) clean cylindrical shape and V-cuts - including some nasty catches and scratches along whilst cutting rounds and hollows, lol ... I felt confident enough to try a "real" project...

This is the first piece I've made. I think, the timber is Carolina Pine but I'm not exactly sure about it. I have several small boxes with mixed wood / cutoffs and I have to find out by myself what it is.

I sanded this one down to 800 grit, used some Chellac Sanding Sealer and finished with 2 layers of wax-cream (a mix of beewax and carnauba wax). Buffed and polished with cotton cloth.
Critics and suggestions are welcome! :)

I've also made a pic from my lathe and the bandsaw. Whilst picking the picture I thought would be best to show the model correctly, I was shocked how ugly the lathe looked like. All those dark stains at the toolrest and the chromed bars are almost invisible at daylight. Maybe I should have used the camera flash whilst photographing... :C
The parts and bits below the lathe had been "all inclusive". Seems like I don't have to build too many thinks myself... a doughnut chuck maybe in future times.

happy greetings
Muriel

Mobil Man
13th June 2007, 01:06 AM
Good deal. Looks like you're "catching" on.:2tsup: A lathe can sometime get one in trouble. I started turning about a year ago & was supposed to have built kitchen cabinets this past winter for our summer home. Never cut the first board, my lathes always seemed to be calling me. You'll enjoy you're time spent whether practicing or making something that doesn't turn out just right. Just be careful--if it don't feel right, it probably ain't right.

ticklingmedusa
13th June 2007, 07:23 AM
I think you are doing fine. Try not to worry too much about what your lathe looks like. Remember it is form follows the function. I use WD 40 or another solvent and a rag to remove finish on the metal, maybe some fine steel wool. When I remember I lay newspaper or a rag over the ways to keep finishes off.
Rags & paper with finishes on them are a fire hazard so remember to
dispose of them properly and immediately.
I like your bandsaw pedestal. About tools, building a collection is a gradual process. As you take on new projects you buy, "borrow:D " or make tools to meet your needs. Be safe and be patient with yourself.
Good things will follow.
Try this link for some project tutorials.
<HR style="COLOR: #663333" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I think this was mentioned somewhere else recently but just in case you missed it, have a look here (http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.html)
tm

Muriel
13th June 2007, 08:30 AM
I think you are doing fine. Try not to worry too much about what your lathe looks like. Remember it is form follows the function. I use WD 40 or another solvent and a rag to remove finish on the metal, maybe some fine steel wool. When I remember I lay newspaper or a rag over the ways to keep finishes off.
Rags & paper with finishes on them are a fire hazard so remember to
dispose of them properly and immediately.
I like your bandsaw pedestal. About tools, building a collection is a gradual process. As you take on new projects you buy, "borrow:D " or make tools to meet your needs. Be safe and be patient with yourself.
Good things will follow.
<hr style="color: rgb(102, 51, 51);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I think this was mentioned somewhere else recently but just in case you missed it, have a look here (http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.html)
tm

Thanks for your nice comments. I'm not worried about my lathe, it's just.. the picture doesn't show it correctly.. in all my own "mystified" glory, I mean. :D
For me it is a beautiful piece of machinery. And I would love it without any differences - no matter if it is brightly shining or if it would be ages old, dented and rusty. (But it still looks a LOT better in bright daylight, :U)
This one is 12 years old and that isn't very much in my opinion.
The bandsaw pedestal was the easiest way to use a spare corner. And second, I do have serious problems with my back (I'm not allowed to lift all kind of things who are heavier than 10 kg) and spinal column. This pedestal allows me to stand in full height and without the temptation to move equipment around... I can be quite silly and risk a painfully hurting back AND the doc's wrath ever so often...

cheers
Muriel

cedar n silky
13th June 2007, 08:30 AM
Nice start to your turning experience. Enjoy!:)

Muriel
13th June 2007, 08:45 AM
Good deal. Looks like you're "catching" on.:2tsup: A lathe can sometime get one in trouble. I started turning about a year ago & was supposed to have built kitchen cabinets this past winter for our summer home. Never cut the first board, my lathes always seemed to be calling me. You'll enjoy you're time spent whether practicing or making something that doesn't turn out just right. Just be careful--if it don't feel right, it probably ain't right.

Thanks! I feel like I've already caught the "turning fever". Or at least I'm close to it.

About the lathe and it's tempting calling... I already encountered an embarrassing situation because I forgot to prepare dinner yesterday :B
My husband wasn't very amused but I survived without any further remarks. THAT was really akward.
I hope your wife forgot about the kitchen cabinets from wintertime 'til summer. Or: turn her someting very beautiful and give it to her as a... gift of neverending love...
Being a wife myself... that would score big time:2tsup:

cheers
Muriel

TTIT
13th June 2007, 09:03 AM
The flow of the curves on your first project are very well done - looks like you have an eye for form so I expect we'll see great things as you develop your skills. Good to see your happy with your new kit :2tsup: Enjoy! :U

Muriel
13th June 2007, 09:05 AM
<hr style="color: rgb(102, 51, 51);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
tm

Thanks for the link! I'm already watching some of those vids... really great stuff - as far as I've seen. This site is a favourite for me, now. :)

cheers
Muriel

Muriel
13th June 2007, 09:25 AM
The flow of the curves on your first project are very well done - looks like you have an eye for form so I expect we'll see great things as you develop your skills. Good to see your happy with your new kit :2tsup: Enjoy! :U

Thanks TTIT! You make me feel really good. :D

The funny thing is.. (or was, whilst turning this tool handle)... whilst trying the curves (I mean the endpiece only) for the very first time using a waste piece, I hacked and cracked into the timber that I thought "o my, THIS is going to take a looooong time to understand. Am I too clumsy or just plain dumb??"

I spent more time to smooth all those scratches and catches instead of learning how to roll the chisel.
The tool handle was made today. And as it was roughly finished - exept for endpiece and "mouthpiece" I decided to try "to roll the chisel again" :D
I was surprised that I got it right from the very first cut... without catches or hacking and cracking... Maybe I was just VERY lucky or I was extremely concentrated. I worked very slow and carefully.. maybe that did the trick.

cheers
Muriel

TTIT
13th June 2007, 09:42 AM
................ I decided to try "to roll the chisel again" :D
I was surprised that I got it right from the very first cut... without catches or hacking and cracking... Maybe I was just VERY lucky or I was extremely concentrated. I worked very slow and carefully.. maybe that did the trick.

cheers
MurielNow I'm just plain jealous - you got to slicing on your first piece?!?!?:o You're off to a great start.:2tsup: I didn't even find out about slicing until about my 20th item. No experience. No teacher. No internet. No books/mags. Just spinning wood and pointy steel.(and 60grit paper) Ahh the memories :C:B

Hardenfast
13th June 2007, 01:55 PM
Nice job Muriel. Ausgezeichnet!! (hope that's right)

I too have just commenced turning and am having much fun. The guys & girls here are a great source of ideas, resources and inspirations. I am considering doing a few tool handles as well, so am pleased to see that yours has been very successful.

It doesn't seem to matter how many tools and accessories you accumulate, there are always heaps of goodies on the "wish list".

I will look forward to your future works and posts.

Regards. Wayne

OGYT
13th June 2007, 02:29 PM
Muriel, you're making us envious... doin' too well to have just begun!
Good job. :thewave:
Some good advice here on this forum. Shhh... don't tell 'em, but these folks are tops! :secret:
Here's another link to check out in your spare time. http://www.aroundthewoods.com Lot of info on making stuff on this one, too.
Happy addiction!

Wayne Blanch
13th June 2007, 08:01 PM
Muriel,
A great effort, :2tsup: You should be pleased with the results. I think the first thing I turned ended up square!:C :U

Muriel
14th June 2007, 09:13 AM
@ TTIT

Without this forum I would be hacking for ages, I think. I'm learing mostly by watching. I'm an "eye person". I have to see how it's done. With videos, pictures or at least in written form. A combination of all these things is the best that could happen to me. So all the credit goes to WWF and it's fine people! :2tsup:

@ Wayne
Thanks! "Ausgezeichnet" is correct :)
Yeah, you're absolutely right with that. I was lurking around here for a long time and I tried to memorize as much as possible. (how errors happen and why, and what must be done to prevent them - and that is just one example for a huge amount of advices, help, suggestions, excellent critics, fantastic turnings and everything else one can think of.) I'm still amazed how great this place is. :thumbs up:

Tool handles are fun to turn. But I think that just everything is fun to turn. :grin: Well... that's what I'm thinking at the moment, I mean. I wonder how long it will take before I'm starting to frown and swear... :D

@ Al
Thank you Al! The link is great! :thumbs up:
Well... about doing too well... A small project came loose today and smacked right into my forehead. Luckily, that one doesn't hurt because of the face shield, but it scared me like hell. :o:U

@Wayne Blanch
Thanks Wayne! I am pleased with my first work. I was so happy, I squealed like a little girl. :D

cheers
Muriel

hughie
14th June 2007, 08:51 PM
This is the first piece I've made. I think, the timber is Carolina Pine but I'm not exactly sure about it. I have several small boxes with mixed wood / cutoffs and I have to find out by myself what it is.

Muriel,

Well done! the detail is very good. Look forward to more of your work :2tsup: