PDA

View Full Version : What do I do? Coffee or Turquoise?

OGYT
13th June 2007, 02:57 PM
Makin' a tool handle for a 5/8" (15mm) bowl gouge. Started with a 100mm limb off a dead English Walnut tree.:p
Pic 1: Got the ferrule on it and the hole drilled for the tool shaft. I think the bulb at the ferrule is too big, so I need to size it down some.
The ferrule is made from rigid 30mm copper pipe.
Pic 2: Now I gotta move the steady rest and put the spindle steady on it. The handle will be 635mm long (sorta like a Sorby Texas handle).
Pic 3: The perspective is off somewhat, because the far end is larger than it looks... 35mm, and the smallest part, near the bulb is 28mm.
You can see the whole problem... that dark streak down the handle.:doh:
Pic 4: Close up of the problem... worm trench.:~
Now. Should I fill it with epoxy and coffee? Or should I fill it with epoxy and turquoise. Which would look better? (I thought about using super glue, but it's not as easy to work with a filler as epoxy):? :? :?

Frank&Earnest
13th June 2007, 03:25 PM
It's a TOOL, mate! Turquoise? What's next? Pearls and sequins?:D :D :D

OGYT
13th June 2007, 03:45 PM
It's a TOOL, mate! Turquoise? What's next? Pearls and sequins?
Good idea!!! Sequined tool handle... hmmmm.:p :; Some Mother-of-Pearl inlay would be nice, too.:D Just want to make my tool handle feel good to th' hand, so might as well make it look neat, too. :D

Hardenfast
13th June 2007, 04:56 PM
Hi Al.

Never seen the coffee/epoxy finish, but I imagine it would look fairly similar to the natural timber that you've got there currently, without the defect and potential for future material loss.

I have seen the turquoise inlay (from the Inlace range?) effect which looks great in the right circumstances. However, you may feel obliged to wash your hands, use a nail brush and get a manicure before grabbing your chisels? Go ahead... Turquoise it is.... be sure to post some pics.

Wayne

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2007, 06:35 PM
Which would look better?

In my opinion, a dark streak would be a nice contrast given the relative lightness in colour of the walnut, and IMHO turquoise looks best in darker woods, so 'tis a no-brainer...

Coffee! :thyel:

(Or inlay turquoise inside the coffee... :innocent:)

joe greiner
13th June 2007, 11:27 PM
Oh, brother. And after the turquoise, will you have the shaft gold plated?

Coffee and epoxy "mortar" makes a fine infill. I use fresh ground, not used. The epoxy mixes with the soluble part for a dark field, and the harder part is somewhat lighter. Looks like small-scale terrazzo after sanding. Handsome enough for tools, and other stuff too.

Joe

OGYT
14th June 2007, 11:05 AM
Finished the handle today... Thanks for the posts, Mates!
I used coffee... fresh ground Folger's dark roast,unleaded (cause that's what I drink). Well, since the Turquoise is a lot harder to finish level, (and it would have been a little far out for a 'tool', F&E) I decided the Skew and Joe were right about the contrast... and the coffee looks like natural inclusions with a little bark in 'em. Didn't get the tool today, but when I get the shaft epoxied in, I'll post a finished pic.

cedar n silky
14th June 2007, 05:53 PM
Finished the handle today... Thanks for the posts, Mates!
I used coffee... fresh ground Folger's dark roast,unleaded (cause that's what I drink). Well, since the Turquoise is a lot harder to finish level, (and it would have been a little far out for a 'tool', F&E) I decided the Skew and Joe were right about the contrast... and the coffee looks like natural inclusions with a little bark in 'em. Didn't get the tool today, but when I get the shaft epoxied in, I'll post a finished pic.

Just on the coffe bit, is it just instant powder, or are we talking coffee grounds (used?) here? And a photo of the finished product with the "coffee" inclusions would be great, thanks.:)

WillyInBris
14th June 2007, 07:28 PM
Just on the Coffey bit, is it just instant powder, or are we talking coffee grounds (used?) here? And a photo of the finished product with the "coffee" inclusions would be great, thanks.:)

Well I am hoping that its Used Coffee grounds as I am on rations at my place :-

Pics Please

hughie
14th June 2007, 08:47 PM
It's a TOOL, mate! Turquoise? What's next? Pearls and sequins?:D :D :D

Aww shucks you shoulda let young Al do his Mother of Pearl. Hes gonna be crippled now, scared for life......:C

Muriel
15th June 2007, 07:39 AM
:D

Aww shucks you shoulda let young Al do his Mother of Pearl. Hes gonna be crippled now, scared for life......:C

Hi Hugie, your pix are absolutely breathtaking. OMG! That is beautiful work. How long did it take to do this inlays? Several Month, I presume?
sorry, if this is OT but I was unable to resist asking you.

cheers
Muriel

TTIT
15th June 2007, 08:53 AM
Hi Hugie, your pix are absolutely breathtaking. OMG! That is beautiful work. How long did it take to do this inlays? Several Month, I presume?
sorry, if this is OT but I was unable to resist asking you.
cheers
MurielI'm with Muriel on this one Hughie! Whose work is that???? Yours? Als? Drop-dead gorgeous stuff!:o:2tsup:

Frank&Earnest
15th June 2007, 11:47 AM
Yes Hughie, what they said. I am looking forward to see the tool handles you are turning out of that. They will be stunning!:D

hughie
15th June 2007, 09:12 PM
Nah sorry guys not my work... I wish tho' Its from a factory in Viet Nam
http://www.vvg-vietnam.com/inlay.htm

OGYT
16th June 2007, 01:35 PM
Well, I took this pic yesterday, sorry it's not a studio shot. Made another handle and mounted the 1/2" bowl gouge in it. Didn't get the other gouge mounted 'til this afternoon.:doh:
These Thompson gouges are CPM 10V steel, 60-62 Rockwell hardness, and got a Cryogenic treatment between tempers. A test was made using one gouge... a bloke started with a sharpened and honed gouge, and turned a brass shaft, a brass ferrule, and then a wooden tool handle... all without sharpening anymore. Sounds good enough for me. Price was right, too. $70USD for the 5/8 U Flute, unhandled. (Not affiliated with the guy... just a truly satisfied user) Don't know what the post would cost to Oz.
I think the coffee worked pretty well in the worm trenches. (If it wasn't fresh Decaf, that worm'd be pretty hyper :D ) Looks a little flaky, but it's a tool. Finish is Lemon Oil, which I put on all my wooden tool handles. Never truly dries completely, and feels silky smooth to the touch.:2tsup: Just add on another coat when it does get to lookin' sorta dry. They say it keeps the timber cells from collapsing.
Hughie, if I could do work like that Mother of Pearl inlay in your piccies, I'd be a snob. Guess that's why I can't do such, huh.:no: Awesome lookin' stuff.