PDA

View Full Version : Turning Blanks and Rare Timbers

woodturner777
14th June 2007, 10:14 PM
Hello to all members,
i get Customers who Contact me for Turning Blanks, & when i give the price, they say wow thats expensive, well its now a fact of life its getting Rare, because of past waste of our exotic Timbers, and i would say, that i know of, the only Company, that replants Native trees, for every Tonne of Burl or Timbers i sell, i plant 5 native Trees, that way they will still be here long after i have gone.
http://www.tasmaniantimbers.com.au

reeves
15th June 2007, 12:18 AM
No worries Rob, its always good to plant more trees. Not many would argue the stuff may be getting rarer.

It might help if your 'general' prices were listed on your site.

Some of your 'competitors' in Tassie list their prices in their ads, quoting the latest woodreview, Gondwana is selling 250 kilos of Tassie ST blanks for 275 plus shipping. Or 200 kilos of burl blanks for 600. (thats $3 per kilo ;-) They also have dry blanks and pen blank deals. I have no idea whose quality may be better but buyers will always hunt for the best price.

Gypsy Timbers has HP burl for 8.80 per kilo and stable prices per linear metre for 3 grades of HP and the other timbers.

Chris at IST has a fixed price list per kilo for green blanks and per cube for boards and stuff. Dianne in Strahan has had stable prices for some time.

And thats doesnt mention the 'backyard' wood collectors and suppliers.
In Brisbane at least 3 suppliers get stock from Tassie and onsell, sometimes for less than it can cost buying them direct from Tassie

So its easy for people to compare prices either from the woodreview ads or online.

I think a lot woodworkers will appreciate the time in takes to cut, process and distribute quality timber and they will appreciate really nice stock. But people, especially hobbyists who may not have clients paying good $ for their work, will often try and suss out the best deal.

BTW its possibly a good idea to put your supply offers in the Buy, Sell and Swap section, the trusty moderators are bound to notice sooner or later...

cheeeeeeeeers
john

rsser
15th June 2007, 11:13 AM
Rob, I don't mind paying the shekels for interesting timber. I've turned a ton of boring stuff and have better ways of spending my time.

Looking forward to your getting back to me about my burl query.

hughie
15th June 2007, 09:23 PM
Rob, I don't mind paying the shekels for interesting timber. I've turned a ton of boring stuff and have better ways of spending my time.

amen to that!

weisyboy
15th June 2007, 09:29 PM
where can i find this buy, sell and swap forum i have looked and looked but cant find it, or am i just blind

dai sensei
15th June 2007, 09:46 PM
where can i find this buy, sell and swap forum i have looked and looked but cant find it, or am i just blind

Down under the Woodies Stuff section below:doh:

rsser
15th June 2007, 10:08 PM
... tho maybe your sig ain't much of an encouragement