PDA

View Full Version : Toast to Tokey...Farewell friend..

kekemo
15th June 2007, 12:15 AM
What a terrible day for me....Today... I said a sad farewell to my dearest GermanShephard.....17 years young...Her name was TOKEY. WE, Ed ( my dearest darling hubby whom I lost to cancer last year) & I bought her as a 6 weeks old Puppy, long hair that shone the colour of a rich Tokey...beautiful full body Port made here in Swan Valley....she was our baby.....during here years with us, she was a devoted kind & gentle....never ever snarled or snapped, was so brave after being beaten up by intruders into our home...we though we were going to lose her then, they broke her ribs & one hip when they beat her with star pickets & 4x2 planks of wood, she was such a wonderful friend to us....for the last 8 years living here in Mandurah while Ed was still alive she acted as a Deaf-Aide or hearing dog for Ed...she would let him know when someone was knocking or alert him to sounds that he could not hear, unbelieveable Ed taught her to find the solinoids when he did the reticulation here at home, she was fabulous with it.....I cant believe I will miss brushing the buckets of long hair that she moulted each summer & then again when her new winter coat came...I missed not having Ed here with me to share the pain....of my loss....I can just see them racing through the sand hills playing hidy like we so often did....I hope Ed's found her for me.....and is keeping her coat shinny now...her beautiful brown eyes & rich red coat is a link to Ed that is now gone....NO posts for a while from me....catch you lot again some time...bye
kekemo.....Kerry:cool:

Gumby
15th June 2007, 12:23 AM
No, don't sign off Kerry. Stick around with your friends and remember the good times you had with them both.

You can't afford to shut yourself away in times like this.

Time will heal the pain and then you just have the great memories to go on with.

DJ’s Timber
15th June 2007, 12:24 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Kerry.

Gra
15th June 2007, 01:41 AM
Kerry,

I can relate, I had to put my shep down last year. I still miss her, and my daughter will still ask where pavlov is. She was so protective of the kids and us especially when my wife was pregnant, but enough about mine, just stick around, and let these guys here keep your spirits up and remember the good times. Do you really think Tokey would want you sad..

I you want to swap shep stories I am happy to, I certainly miss my shep, but one dog is enough at this house for the moment..

Keep in touch

Bluegum
15th June 2007, 08:39 AM
Hi Kerry,

Sorry to hear about your loss I hope that time will eventually heal the sadness that comes with losing a friend. I remember your kind words last year when I posted the loss of our young dog. As gumby said please don't sign off as friends are always there to help and there will always be plenty of us here on line that will be able to listen and talk when you need to.

Fox3
15th June 2007, 10:03 AM
The folks here are right, don't run away.

I know it hurts like holy hell and on top of holy hell. Life goes on and it will hurt less with time.

Less than a month ago now I lost a very dear friend and companion. Hard to even write about it now. Amazing how empty this place is without her. Amazing how much more I treasure the others because of her.

She was "just a cat" but she taught me that wise and good souls have no specific form. I had always been a dog person and until she adopted me I rather hated cats. Her picture is my avatar.

Nothing I say will make it easier, but one thing that was said to me that I found some solace in was: "Don't cry because she is gone, but celebrate all the wonder and joy she brought to you". Perhaps eventually I will be able to do that, doing better than I was though :).

And get another soonest. They need us as much as we need them.

Hang in and move on, do it in her honor and her memory, you know that is what she would want.

Perhaps we can hope:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

OK, now I'll have me another good cry but I will go on.

Cliff Rogers
15th June 2007, 10:24 AM
“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” Dr. Seuss.

ptc
15th June 2007, 10:47 AM
And get another soonest. They need us as much as we need them.

That say's it all.

rat52
15th June 2007, 11:04 AM
What Cliff said.

fred.n
15th June 2007, 12:00 PM
Sorry for your loss Kerry

Fox3
15th June 2007, 01:09 PM
Just in case it might help someone over the loss of their companion / firiend, here is something else that was passed to me during my time of great loss, perhaps it will help someone:

The Last Will and Testament of Your Beloved Pet

It is now time for me to say “Good Bye” It will be very sorrowful to leave you but not a sorrow for me to die. Animals do not fear death as humans do. We accept this as part of our lives. What will become of me after death? I will be in a place where I will always be young. A place that will be a paradise for me. Some people call that “Heaven” Yes, animals have souls. God has a special place in heaven just for us.

I have another request. Please find another animal to be at your side. I know no one can take my place, but I will feel better knowing you are taking special care of another pet. It would be a poor tribute to me, if no one ever followed me.

One last word of farewell dear ones…Whenever you think of me say to yourself that I was the one you loved; and how much you loved me. No matter how deep my sleep, I shall hear you and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail. May the angels always watch over you as they watch over me. Remember… I will always be with you in love.

By Rev. Renee Karen

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers

Perhaps it is true, Daint/Nimitiz just kept on trucking right up until the end. More I am unable to write.

fred.n
15th June 2007, 11:29 PM
Nice words Fox 3

Glenn_M
16th June 2007, 01:38 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Kerry, I had to put down our ridgeback a couple of months back. Hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it was for the best.

A couple of months on, it's still hard and the kids (18months, 4yo) still talk about missing her which breaks my heart. But then we talk about all the funny things she did and the good times we had.

Dogs are such a special part of our lives.

Maybe (and only if you want and feel up to it) you could post a pic or two of Tokey. I remember doing that when Rusty died and going through the pictures I had to find a couple good for posting was a tearful but worthwhile exercise. Helped me remember her life rather than just her passing.

Peace

Glenn