PDA

View Full Version : Mango - is this normal?

Caveman
15th June 2007, 11:26 PM
G'day - I managed to pick up a few pieces of Mango on a recent trip to the coast and have finally got round to having a go at it.

Started roughing the outside of this 19" piece, to find what appears to be some dark heartwood.
Does mango have contrasting heartwood/sapwood (not from what I've seen before) or is this purely as a result of the spalting?
Was pleasantly surprised to find this as I had expected it to be rather plain.

The pictures/lighting doesn't really do it credit - looks much better in the real.

Look forward to finishing it and getting some oil on it.

joe greiner
16th June 2007, 02:01 AM
Aside from knowing nothing (nada, zero, blank) about mango, I'd expect heartwood of any species to have more even boundaries. Also, the pattern doesn't seem consistent with my perceived centre of the log. More likely spalting.

Pictures look pretty good by themselves. I guess I had an optical delusion with the foot; first thought it had a big gap in the ring on one side - the crosswise streak is curious.

Joe

hughie
16th June 2007, 08:36 AM
[

The pictures/lighting doesn't really do it credit - looks much better in the real.

Look forward to finishing it and getting some oil on it.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm seen a fair bit of mango, must be africa...dunno:? But it looks darn good heart wood or whatever. Most defintetly post the finished pics

But Cliff is the best for the final verdict, I will defer to his knowledge and experience.

rsser
16th June 2007, 10:39 AM
Great piece Andy. A real find.

Only bit of mango I had was affected by a dark fungal stain and looked crappy.

OGYT
16th June 2007, 01:46 PM
Andy, that's comin' toward a beautiful turning! Scored some awesome timber, there. Don't know anything about Mango, either, but I'd think it's the spalting rather than heartwood.
With Hughie on this'n... I'd like to see the finished piece.

weisyboy
16th June 2007, 04:02 PM
it's definatly slaterd i hav a mango log about 4" accros and it is an even color right threw except for a bit of a colord ring about 2" in from the edge. but it looks briliant.

dai sensei
16th June 2007, 04:54 PM
I've seen some mango with varying colours, but not like that. The only spalting that goes on in the mango I've used is just blue mould all over - yuk :((

Looks like a darn nice piece Caveman

Cliff Rogers
16th June 2007, 06:14 PM
But Cliff is the best for the final verdict, I will defer to his knowledge and experience.
Ta. :D

Great piece Andy. A real find.

Only bit of mango I had was affected by a dark fungal stain and looked crappy.
I agree. :2tsup:

I've seen some mango with varying colours, but not like that. The only spalting that goes on in the mango I've used is just blue mould all over - yuk :((

Looks like a darn nice piece Caveman
And again. :2tsup:

I have messed around with a lot of mango & I hate the blotchy mould that it gets if you don't treat it the right way.
I wash it heaps to get rid of the sap, then rough turn it & wash it again.
I have also messed around with microwave & freezing.
The trick is to dry it as quickly as possible without letting dust or mould spores settle on it

That is a very nice piece, I'd be very happy if anything I had developed mould that looked like that.
You can see that it isn't heartwood colour 'cos it doesn't follow the grain.

I'm wondering if maybe it was caused by damage to the tree while it was still alive 'cos I haven't seen anything like that develope in the stuff I have collected from healthy trees. :think:

powderpost
16th June 2007, 09:53 PM
I have seen these patterns in mango, and other species, before. It is caused by a fungal attack, which is the beginning of a breaking down process and usually stops as the timber dries out.
Jim

Little Festo
16th June 2007, 09:59 PM
Caveman,

I'd say spaulting. I've turned some pretty speccic pieces in darwin, see attached. These were from some logs left out for a few NT wet seasons.

Peter

Cliff Rogers
16th June 2007, 10:03 PM
Nice piece Pete, maybe I should try getting a log & leaving it in the rain forest for a while. :think:

soundman
16th June 2007, 11:37 PM
Just from our recent advanture, i can tell you that mango can have some quite hard bits in the middle when it gets some size.

The stuff we cut is still vey green so who knows what colout the hard bits will be.

cheers

TTIT
16th June 2007, 11:40 PM
Nice piece Pete, maybe I should try getting a log & leaving it in the rain forest for a while. :think:I reckon you'll just end up with an overly rotten chunk of blue mouldy wood :shrug: Will wait anxiously for the results of your experiment Cliff :U (now that you've committed yourself!) :;

PS: pretty spekky bits of wood Pete and Caveman - too nice to be Mango though :C

Caveman
18th June 2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the comments guy's.

Finished and oiled the platter with BLO. Will buff it at some stage once the oil has dried fully.
The oil kind of evens out the lighter/darker wood not leaving so much contrast - still nice tho.
My largest finished piece to date (in terms of diameter anyway).

Have some much larger lumps in the woodstore, but need a bigger lathe to take care of them!

rsser
18th June 2007, 06:20 PM
Came up well Andy. Lovely piece.

So now you're hanging out for the Stubby ...

cedar n silky
18th June 2007, 07:04 PM
Looks really superb, Caveman. Isn't it an absolute joy after all the cutting and sanding to put the finish on and be presented with that grain!:2tsup: Great job!

Cliff Rogers
18th June 2007, 07:15 PM
Outstanding. :2tsup:

hughie
18th June 2007, 08:44 PM
Hmmm, If thats mango............my neighbour better watch out :U :U

That has turned to be something rather special, well done! :2tsup:

Look forward to the rest when they are done.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th June 2007, 08:49 PM
The problem with a piece like that is that all the descriptions that pop to mind are either hyperbole or will sound like I'm preparing to ask a BIG favour.

Except, perhaps, to say that if I had turned that, for the next week SWMBO would be making pointed remarks about swollen heads. :rolleyes:

Wayne Blanch
18th June 2007, 09:32 PM
Bruddy Lubbery, :2tsup:

dai sensei
18th June 2007, 09:37 PM
Certainly came up a treat Andy :2tsup:

powderpost
18th June 2007, 10:22 PM
Excellent bowl, like the simple lines that allow the timber to be shown to its full effect. Nicely turned and well finished, congratulations.
Jim

Caveman
18th June 2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks guy's for all the compliments. Sure was fun to make.

So now you're hanging out for the Stubby ...

Yup - can't wait - looks like they're gotta to make the boat to ship it out here with too - waiting, waiting - getting really itchy fingers.
I quess it's worth the wait though.

TTIT
19th June 2007, 09:06 AM
A bit of finish and it becomes something else altogether :o! Extraordinary bit of wood Caveman - beautiful :2tsup::U

Do I gather you're joining the Stubby ranks then??:;

Caveman
19th June 2007, 04:34 PM
A bit of finish and it becomes something else altogether :o! Extraordinary bit of wood Caveman - beautiful :2tsup::U

Do I gather you're joining the Stubby ranks then??:;

Thanks Vern - yep, placed an order a month or so back - it's mostly built and put together now - looks like they are waiting for the right tide to ship it though!
Seriously looking forward to having something big and solid that should be able to handle anything I can put on it.

My +-20year old record lathe has put up with a lot and has amazingly come through pretty much unscathed, though I can feel the bearings are at the end of their tether. I have some large lumps of wood sitting around that I can't put on the record coronet as they are too large and too heavy and I would hate to have to trim them to size to fit - wouldn't be doing justice to the lovely tree they came from.

That piece of mango is about the limit in terms of diameter of what I can do now.