PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw vs Kneecap

OGYT
17th June 2007, 03:16 PM
Sawed down a large Mesquite tree today. While cutting up some of the smaller stuff, and staggering around in the debris, I allowed the chain to make contact with my knee, just as I released the throttle.:(
About a 4 cm cut across the kneecap, but didn't get through to the bone. Sure makes a funny noise when that happens.:o
Y'all be careful, now, hear?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2007, 03:32 PM
This is why I recommend chain-saw chaps. Even if they cost half as much as your chain-saw, the odds are that they'll more than pay for themselves eventually by the medical bill you won't have to pay.

Wayne Blanch
17th June 2007, 03:33 PM
I read the title of your post and cringed!:o

I have a great respect for chainsaws and not a little fear.

I hope that your leg is okay! It could have been a lot worse I guess. I reckon it could be tricky trying to turn your own wooden leg whilst hopping up and down the length of the lathe:U on the remaining good one.

Hope you recover quickly!
Wayne

Cliff Rogers
17th June 2007, 03:41 PM
...Sure makes a funny noise when that happens.:o
You or the chainsaw? :?

My Dad has managed to do this twice now, both times just above the knee.:oo:

Once, a long time ago with a saw that wouldn't idle properley so he would walk along blipping the throttle.
The second time it was due to a bit of an off balance problem as the saw came through the branch.

Both times he had to be stitched up.

I have had my left hand slip off the handle & touch the side of the chain.
Nicked a hole in my glove & I felt the chain with my bare finger but it didn't break the skin, thank goodness. :-

Hope you mend without problems... don't get it infected as an infection in the knee can cause lots of problems.

rsser
17th June 2007, 07:01 PM
Ouch Al. My sympathies. Get well soon.

jmk89
17th June 2007, 07:23 PM
Reminds me of the time that I was bringing down a tree at the parents' place - put an axe into my left foot (OK I was 20 at the time and therefore 10' tall and bulletproof, so did I have proper footwear?? Of course not).

I was alone and had to drive myself to casualty. In a manual car. Depressing the clutch was an interesting experience.

But I had hired a chainsaw for the day and needed to return that too. So I did on the way to casualty - got some funny looks when I limped in with the saw with a towel knotted tightly around my foot!!!

Shock is a wonderful anaesthetic - it was only at the hospital that I started shrieking with the pain!!!!!

soundman
17th June 2007, 09:14 PM
Pictures. where's the pictures.

You need to be more carefull or you'll end up like this:crutch: or this:stretcher:

Now that noise was it more like this:aargh: this:cry3: or this:upset:

once we see the pictures we know you are OK the we can decide if you need this:pointlaugh: or this:smack:

cheers

Wood Butcher
17th June 2007, 09:16 PM
You have such a way with emoticons Joe.

Al, I think know the sound you mean. I have heard the sound of cutting flesh too many times and it is something that you never forget. Hope you heal quickly!

Allan at Wallan
17th June 2007, 09:28 PM
One of my mates lost both legs to a chainsaw.
Wanted to sue the chainsaw manufacturer but his
lawyer said he would not have a leg to stand on.

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.:D

soundman
17th June 2007, 09:38 PM
Ha ha..... ha:x:

cheers

wayneo75
17th June 2007, 10:32 PM
Firstly, get well soon!

This is why I recommend chain-saw chaps.

Secondly, as a person who first picked up a saw at a chainsaw training course I cannot understand a person who uses a chainsaw without chaps! we started the course with images and video of all the things that could go wrong, then the value of chaps. I tell you truthfully now, if the situation arose where I was asked to fell a tree, or de-limb a log with handsaw or a chainsaw with no chaps, I would take the hand saw option 10 times out of 10. I think Charles Darwin had some very good ideas....

Touchwood
18th June 2007, 12:47 AM
OGYT I hope you are feeling a bit better ... amazing the power of hind sight! A few years ago I did a OHS course to be the rep at the workplace and our task was based on a true story - the circular saw meets apprentise leg!!

I'm glad your outcome was not the same as his.

This is why I recommend chain-saw chaps. Even if they cost half as much as your chain-saw

Not wrong there .. but a pair in HWMBO christmas stocking last year!

JD

BobL
18th June 2007, 12:58 AM
In case you haven't seen CS chaps in action I posted a link to some movie clips showing how they do (or don't work)here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=49856).

For anyone that in interested I recently bought a pair of full wrap chaps from Labonville in the US. AU$120 delivered to my front door here in Perth. Similar quality chaps will set you back $200 here in OZ.

OGYT
18th June 2007, 02:24 AM
Thanks to everyone for the comments! Soundman, have you ever been examined? :D :wink:
Bob, I just looked at the Labonville chap-test video. Am going to order a pair. What's the diff in the full-wrap vs regular?

OGYT
18th June 2007, 06:54 AM
I've been laughed at by my mates and slapped around by th' young'uns, so go ahead and have it your way!!:D

Sebastiaan56
18th June 2007, 07:09 AM
Ive been thinking about a small electric CS from Bunnies to just cut stuff up. Think ill do a course first.....

Get well quickly,

Sebastiaan

TTIT
18th June 2007, 08:52 AM
Geeeeez - an' I just had brekky too Al.:C Look after it mate but don't let it put you off cutting up wood!:;

tashammer
18th June 2007, 09:20 AM
pat, pat, pat. here's a warm, sweet drink. sit down and rest. arghhhhhhh. sympathy pains. umm, the worst feeling is thinking about what might have happened. Good to see it wasn't any bigger.

Hardenfast
18th June 2007, 09:45 AM
That actually looks fairly neat for a chainsaw - must have been nice & sharp, so well done for that part! I imagine it didn't look so neat just after your incident, especially when the knee was in the fully bent position. :U (big smiley).

After all that, did you get a nice piece of Mesquite? We don't have that over here, I don't think - don't they also make an alcohol out of that? Would have been handy to have a bottle of Mesquite with you while working on the Mesquite - as it turns out.

BobL
18th June 2007, 09:58 AM
Bob, I just looked at the Labonville chap-test video. Am going to order a pair. What's the diff in the full-wrap vs regular?

The full wrap cover the whole lower leg whereas regular only cover the front of the leg. I tried wearing the full chainsaw trousers but they are very hot and tiring. With chaps one can at least wear shorts in hot weather.

Some stats I found on the web stated stated that of the 35,000 (yes 35,000) injuries in 1996 in the USA alone,
- 41% were to the arm and hand area,
- 39% to the leg area,
- 11% to the head
- 6% to the foot area
- 3% to the upper body.

Many of the 41% were from idiots doing things like holding the saw with one hand and the wood they were cutting with the other.

The 11% to the head are mainly from kickback - shows the value of wearing a hard hat while sawing.

Also while a steel capped boot is better than not, CSs that hit the steel cap can also run onto the foot. There are CS safety boots available with the same fibre fill as chaps for those that spend a lot of time working at ground level.

cedar n silky
18th June 2007, 10:00 AM
I hope you heal up real quick, Ogyt!
I agree 100% with Skew.
I used to work for Parks and Wildlife, and the Bush fire service, and did chainsawing for a living for quite a few years. I was sitting around having a beer with a few of the "boys" after work one evening, and noticed a big scar on one of the fellas thighs. He had a chainsaw "mishap" and the surgeon that stiched him up said he was only half a millimeter away from a major artery and certain death.
I wear my chaps no matter what now, even if it is to "just" to do that "one" little cut!:D

Ruddy
18th June 2007, 10:07 AM
Al,
Now that could have been a whole lot worse. :doh: Hope you are rapidly recovering and have a new found respect for that chain saw. Are you sure you were not rehearsing for a sequel to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
I have a scar on my right knee a bit longer than that but is is a whole lot neater. Those orthopaedic surgeons dont muck around when they do knee replacements.
Hope you are getting better.
rgds
Ruddy

Caveman
18th June 2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry to see that Al.
Hope you heal up nice and quick.

A mate of mine has a scar in pretty much the identical place from a 'mishap' a few months back. Yours looks a lot neater though!

Big Shed
18th June 2007, 06:15 PM
Some stats I found on the web stated stated that of the 35,000 (yes 35,000) injuries in 1996 in the USA alone,
- 41% were to the arm and hand area,
- 39% to the leg area,
- 11% to the head
- 6% to the foot area
- 3% to the upper body.

Many of the 41% were from idiots doing things like holding the saw with one hand and the wood they were cutting with the other.

The 11% to the head are mainly from kickback - shows the value of wearing a hard hat while sawing.

Also while a steel capped boot is better than not, CSs that hit the steel cap can also run onto the foot. There are CS safety boots available with the same fibre fill as chaps for those that spend a lot of time working at ground level.

Interesting statistics there, I always wear a helmet with mesh face shield and ear muffs, as well as steel cap boots and strong leather gloves. Statistically however my legs are more at risk it seems, yet I have never worn chaps. Maybe I should be looking at a pair!:oo:

hughie
18th June 2007, 08:54 PM
[I've been laughed at by my mates and slapped around by th' young'uns, so go ahead and have it your way!!:D

Arrrrrgh! the mere thought of it messes with my head.

Chainsaw 1 kneecap 0

no contest :U

BernieP
18th June 2007, 09:18 PM
G'Day Al

JUst read of your mishap and saw pic, boy that looks painful, hope you're ok

Cheers
Bernie

OGYT
19th June 2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your help, BobL. I ordered the full-wrap Chaps from Labonville. The 6 plies of Kevlar stopped a chainsaw running 12,200rpm without going through the backside of the chap, and I guess that's good enough for me. $75USD incl shipping.
I want everyone to know, that I'm normally doing things in a pretty safe manner, and I screwed up this one time with th' chainsaw. All it takes is once. :yikes:
I suggest that if you don't wear the chaps, that you should.
2 cents. Pay me. :U

soundman
19th June 2007, 11:23 AM
no need to point & laugh.... others have done that for me.:lolabove:
And I'm sure the whole pain of the experience is a better correction than a smack in the head.:weeping2:

It is important that we post pictures of these mishaps as awarning to others or the censiquences of our foolishness.:doh2:

Now how many was that were going to buy a set of chaps?:unsure:
Add 1 more.:D

cheers

tashammer
19th June 2007, 02:25 PM
i wonder if a bulk buy was the go?

rick_rine
19th June 2007, 09:53 PM
Here is a contractor we employed to cut down 5 trees. The saw had no muffler, he had no safety gear at all and most of the time he had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth!I could hardly bear to watch.He didn't even wear shoes!

Rick

soundman
19th June 2007, 10:10 PM
Also note that there is a distinkt absence of a knuckle guard & therfore a chain brake.... hmmm
But i supose that is the third world.

cheers

Burnsy
19th June 2007, 10:11 PM
Here is a contractor we employed to cut down 5 trees. The saw had no muffler, he had no safety gear at all and most of the time he had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth!I could hardly bear to watch.He didn't even wear shoes!

Rick

That looks awful warm and tropical for Tasmania:cool:

OGYT
20th June 2007, 04:15 AM
Holy smackers!!! That guy's just looking for trouble!!

cedar n silky
20th June 2007, 07:53 AM

Rick
He's no Tasmanian!:D Getting a "leg pull" here?!:p

TTIT
20th June 2007, 08:45 AM

RickAaaaarrrrgggghhhh leave him alone you guy's:~! He's the best instructor I ever had!:U

soundman
20th June 2007, 12:21 PM
look at the size of the bar.....probably left his big machine at home.:oo:

Caveman
20th June 2007, 04:30 PM
no safety gear at all - I could hardly bear to watch.He didn't even wear shoes!

Yup - same here.
A friend of mine is a landscaper and gets these guy's in when there's trees to come down - this one had succumbed to a root fungal disease unfortunately. On the other hand, plenty wood for turning though!

Watching everything these guy's did made me cringe - even down to the way he's gripping the handle with his left hand. At least they had a chain brake!
Of course they thought I was mad when I tried to make a few suggestions.

orraloon
20th June 2007, 05:17 PM
Hi,
Some of those pictures make you squirm. Bare feet. But if you thunk about it regular footware is not going to save a lot. I first used a chainsaw in the bush fire brigade 25 years ago and from day one had a healthy respect for them. I dont think kevlar chaps were around then so I have never used them but I always ware safety boots and visor. I am thinking the chaps may be a good thing to have. My advise to anyone starting out is to have tuition first and get a modest saw. You dont need a 36" saw to get firewood or turning blanks. The bigger the saw the more control issues. As OGYT said it only has to happen the one time.

stay safe
John

bobsreturn2003
20th June 2007, 06:04 PM
chainsaw are excelent cutting tools , legs do get in the way .and can be annoying at times . but its a real shame to buy a pair of shoes ,and only need one . chaps on ebay usa site are a bargain at times . got some in taste full orange ,will always be seen . for about $50au delivered guess every one wanted a better colour , but dont wear them to town any way. had some pants ,but grew out of them ,so chaps are the way to go . and they are real cheap insurance when you are cutting . safe working bob

weisyboy
20th June 2007, 11:13 PM
same thiing happend to me but i wasent so lucky i went right threw and disloged my knee cap.

but then i have all the bad luck

1. third degree burns to 20% of my body
2. cut threw the nuckle of my ringfinger with a bench saw
3. got bitten twice by a tigre snake
4. and finaly cut my knee with the chainsaw

or is it good luck that im still alive?

soundman
20th June 2007, 11:49 PM
Krikey jack:oo:
Better email me your address details wesiboy...... that way I know to stay kleer of your place..... I don't need any of that bad luck.:U

cheers

weisyboy
21st June 2007, 09:20 AM
me nether mate

rick_rine
21st June 2007, 08:37 PM
That looks awful warm and tropical for Tasmania:cool:

Sorry Burnsy, I thought it was clear by the title. This photo was taken at our resort in the Philippines last year. He charged us P1,000 for a days work with the saw and a laborour. Thats AU$25.
Regards
Rick

Burnsy
21st June 2007, 08:52 PM
Sorry Burnsy, I thought it was clear by the title. This photo was taken at our resort in the Philippines last year. He charged us P1,000 for a days work with the saw and a laborour. Thats AU$25.
Regards
Rick

Title? Who looks at the title:doh:

mmmmm "your" resort in the Philippines..............wanna swap some accomodation with "my" resort in Kalamunda - it has a dodgy chainsaw operator as well:oo: though he is thinking seriously about some chaps now