PDA

View Full Version : Barometer Surround

Phil Spencer
17th June 2007, 04:42 PM
I havn't done any turning for a while, and this barometer surround seemed a good excersise, it has been made from some left over Myrtle and to avoid end grain issues I segmented the sourround into eight pieces.

Phil

rsser
17th June 2007, 05:02 PM
Lovely work Phil. Came up well.

You have more patience than me. Did some redgum surrounds once; the mounting and remounting were a nice brain teaser ;-}

Phil Spencer
17th June 2007, 05:17 PM
Lovely work Phil. Came up well.

You have more patience than me. Did some redgum surrounds once; the mounting and remounting were a nice brain teaser ;-}

Thanks rsser, its a bit like riding a bike or having sex the skills never leave you, making turned lidded boxes sorted me out, making these and having every face turned helps with your thinking.

Phil

rsser
17th June 2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks rsser, its a bit like riding a bike or having sex the skills never leave you, making turned lidded boxes sorted me out, making these and having every face turned helps with your thinking.

Phil

Well having crashed the pushie on Friday I'm not so sure :doh: And no comment on the other ...

I did find it nerve racking having turned the outside and then parting out the centre ... there wasn't much clearance before metal would have been hit.

What's the plane in your avatar btw?

[Edit: so tell us what your order of work was.]

WillyInBris
17th June 2007, 06:07 PM
Hi Phil,

Well done phil looks good I would have to say that the wood and the Brass complements each other :2tsup: I did one for myself but gave it to my stepfather but wasn't to happy with the results, he was so I guess it doesn't matter but might have to give segmenting a try one day.

May I ask who you purchased the barometer from?

Willy

Phil Spencer
17th June 2007, 06:30 PM
hit.

What's the plane in your avatar btw?

[Edit: so tell us what your order of work was.]

The plane in the Avatar is a copy of the Sandusky centre wheel plough. An original sold at auction for around $140,000.00 :oo:

Order of work was after gluing up the segments, mount in my Cole Jaws and turn the back. Fix a backing piece and mount on a face plate, parting tool to take the centre to size and then turn down to the required diameter and face the front and then turn a fancy edge and I finished with a pressure pack clear whilst the lathe was running.

Just basic stuff.

Hi Phil,

Well done phil looks good I would have to say that the wood and the Brass complements each other :2tsup: I did one for myself but gave it to my stepfather but wasn't to happy with the results, he was so I guess it doesn't matter but might have to give segmenting a try one day.

May I ask who you purchased the barometer from?

Willy

I got the barometer from Carbitec Melbourne, they only ever had the one and I had had my eye on it for a while it was marked down from $189.00 to $60.00 good deal I thought.

Ph

WillyInBris
17th June 2007, 06:40 PM
I got the barometer from Carbitec Melbourne, they only ever had the one and I had had my eye on it for a while it was marked down from $189.00 to $60.00 good deal I thought.
Ph

Thanks Phil

Bugger would have liked to get my hands on one of those but at $189 :o I would have headed for he hills but for $60 I would have snapped it up as well.

Oh well will keep looking :~

rsser
17th June 2007, 07:27 PM
Woah, serious shekels.

Yeah, I remember cheating a little by turning a small rabbet on the outer backside.

OGYT
18th June 2007, 02:44 AM
Beautiful work. Just thinking about segmenting anything gives me hives.
So I don't think about it. :U
Well done... Ern's right... serious shekels.