PDA

View Full Version : Vista & MS Office 2003

Cliff Rogers
18th June 2007, 12:46 PM
Anybody struck any problems with this combo?

I had one weird thing happen, Office just disappered like it had been removed & I had to reload Office but when I did, it was already acticated.

I have friend with the same combo & several of his e-mails are coming in with the attachments buggered up so that are just a great big long ASCII addition to the bottom of the e-mail.
He has contacted his IT Dept about it & they reckon the only way to fix it is to get rid of Vista or upgrade MS Office.

Any ideas? :?

dazzler
18th June 2007, 04:37 PM
:( Had it drop out mid typing session but thats it

Cliff Rogers
18th June 2007, 04:40 PM
I can't find anything like the problems described on the net, I suspect that the IT Dept was having a bludge.
All I can find is the recommendation to run the Office Update if you are having anything weird happen.

MajorPanic
18th June 2007, 09:49 PM
Cliff,

Speaking to my nephew-in-law (MS IT guru, MCP & CEO) Vista does have problems with Office 2003 but works very well with Office 2007.
Mind you he has dumped all Vista from his company of 5 IT techs until well after SP1.... reckons it's REAL crap.

Cliff Rogers
18th June 2007, 09:59 PM
Yeap, agree with all that, I just can't find anybody else who has had those problems in particular.
The MS site has several other problems listed but not that one.

markharrison
19th June 2007, 10:24 PM
No problems with that combo.

MrFixIt
20th June 2007, 12:52 PM
Hi

Anybody struck any problems with this combo?

I had one weird thing happen, Office just disappered like it had been removed & I had to reload Office but when I did, it was already acticated.

The most likely scenario is that Vista has had a problem on boot and has had to resort to a previous known good install eg restore point. This restore point would have been prior to the Office install.

I hate it when Windows does things behing the scenes and does NOT advise the user what is happening/changing!

He has contacted his IT Dept about it & they reckon the only way to fix it is to get rid of Vista or upgrade MS Office.

Any ideas? :?

Yes, get rid of Vista. At this time it is too new and unstable. Wait until the "big boys" those that have staff on hand to "fix it" have covered and resolved the problems with Vista.

It just *MAY* be a good OS in one or two years, at least WAIT until service pack one! At this time there should be a good range of drivers etc for Vista.

Captain Chaos
2nd July 2007, 08:46 PM
I'm probably too late with this reply as I only just found this post.:- It seems that this is a fairly common problem with Windoze Vista & office 2003. I found some info in an e-newsletter which I subscribe to. I've copied & pasted the article from the "Internet Tourbus" by Bob Rankin & Patrick Crispin below. Follow the links for the full story & work around for this problem.

Convert Office 2007 to Other Office Formats
---------------------------------------------

The march of progress has trampled yet another set of innocent
bystanders... In their newest release of Microsoft Office, the nice
folks in Redmond have changed the way that Office 2007 saves Word
documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Files created with the
Office 2007 versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint CANNOT be opened
with older versions of Office software.

Here's the scoop on how to update your existing Office software so
it can handle the Office 2007 format (for free), and a guide to
some handy Office 2007 converter and viewer tools...

<a href="http://askbobrankin.com/office_format_converters.html">
http://askbobrankin.com/office_format_converters.html </a>

I hope that this may be of some help.
Regards,
Barry

boban
2nd July 2007, 09:14 PM
The list of incompatible programs just keeps getting longer and longer.

My latest intermittent problem with Vista is a mouse black hole in the middle of the screen.

I'm definitely going back to XP once I have the time.